Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Time Part 2

My last post was titled "Time", and even though my subject today matter is different, the title works for this post too.

So here are two quick items that fall under the "time" category.

- I ran my fastest mile ever yesterday, and it happened to come at the end of a tough 10 mile work out. I ran a 6:07 in my last of six one-mile repeats. If I had known how close I was to getting under 6:00 I would have really gone for it as I did not give it an all-out effort, but that was not the point of the workout, and now I know that a sub-6 minute mile is doable. :) The whole work-out was a two-mile warm up, 6x1 mile repeats (with much needed two-minute rest intervals) and then a two-mile cool down. All six of the mile repeats ended up being at a 6:21 pace or better (6:21, 6:17, 6:13, 6:17, 6:15, 6:07) and I ran it out on the road, not on the track. It was a hard effort but great at the same time.

- I am running a half marathon on Saturday. And Coach Rick has asked me to run it WITHOUT MY GARMIN. For real. Something about running by feel, not obsessing over splits, enjoying racing, etc. etc. etc. Being honest here -  I did sort of panic at first (although I did agree to it right away because I truly trust and respect my coach and we have a great relationship) but now I am even sort of looking forward to it. When I told Josh that Rick wanted me to race without a watch or Garmin he mentioned the amount of pressure I put on myself, and how it will be good for me to go out and have fun and just run.

This is the Garmin I have. I named him Flash. I love him. :)
 So for the first time I will be racing without target splits, or any knowledge of my pace or splits. Last year I was quite a bit slower than I am now and won my age group. The race will likely be a lot bigger this year, but I am hoping to have an age group or overall placing. We shall see! I have many friends running, Josh is running, and two of our sons (12 and 14 years old) are both running it as their first half, so it will be lots of fun no matter what. The boys have done a great job training and I am so proud of them already!

That's all I have TIME to write for now. More soon. :)

Have you ever raced without a watch or Garmin??


21 comments:

Cory Reese said...

I am really excited for you to do this experiment! I LOVE the races that I don't wear my Garmin. It takes all the pressure off and then you can really run by feel.

Good luck and, most importantly, have fun!

Just Plain Jackie said...

My son and I ran Missoula last weekend, and he ran with my Garmin. That was the first run I'd done in 18 mos without it. My time was the same as with it. It feels funny to not have it, but I just listened to my tunes and enjoyed the journey. Good luck, Erin!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

You can do it!!! It will be like a whole new race experience. I am happy you are embracing it now and have great confidence that you will be building just more and more mad running skills - in this case, running by feel! Yay! And hello 6:07 mile!!!!

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

oh my gosh, you are SO going to rock this race! i think you will do great without your watch, it is such a good thing to run by feel and sometimes i think the watch can intimidate us to actually under perform because we freak out if the numbers are too fast when we really should be just more in tune with how our effort feels! you are going to do amazing! incredible workout at the track - you are so inspiring!!!! xxxooo

The Green Girl said...

I love Flash. He looks fast - just like you.

Congratulations on not pushing yourself and doing a 6:07 - so awesome!

Gracie said...

I only got a Garmin last year, so I have actually run more races without it than with it. It's also died on me several times so I've done both a 30k and a marathon with no Garmin, plus some shorter distances. You'll do just fine without it! Good luck!

Jill said...

I have a feeling you will definitely place on Saturday and probably win. I have never run a race without a watch. Good luck and I will be excited to hear how it goes!

On the Right Track said...

You don't need a garmin...think about all the runners that ran without one before they ever existed...that is the type of runner you are! Run by feel and
emotion...not by the clock on your wrist~

have fun and enjoy the race ;) you'll be great!

coach dion said...

I know one doesn't need Mr Garmin to hold your hand, but it's alway nice to have some-one to talk to about your run, so if I were you I would take him with... But to follow your coach's wishes put tape over the face and let him run under cover...

Good luck

Samantha said...

I stopped racing with my watch because I tend to just be looking at it constantly. All of my PRs have come in races where I'm watchless!

Ginger said...

Good luck at the race this weekend! I think it will be exciting for you to run without your watch. Just go by feel and trust your training!

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

I can't wait to hear how you do at your race but I am complete confidence in you. You are in tune with your body and will race awesome!

Loren said...

Wow, those are lots of fast miles. Good luck at the race!

misszippy said...

Never use a Garmin, so yes. I think learning to run by feel is a really, really valuable lesson for every runner. Good luck with it!

Laura said...

I LOVE my 610....but in my last race (just a 10km) I ran naked. It was weird..but good.
Have a blast!

Greg said...

I have never run without a timer. It's weird, but I don't like to keep time because I get too focused on it, but I also couldn't imagine not keeping time. I don't know what I would focus on! Anyways, I hope it all goes well for you! My jaw hit the floor when I thought, mother of 12 running nearly sub-six minute miles. That's incredible. You are an inspiration.

Greg at Dazadi.com

Adrienne said...

I think you know my answer;)

Believe it or not, my marathon PR was clocked with a regular Timex where I messed up the splits somewhere after mile 14. All my tris are garminless and I just make it a point to redline it. The mystery seems to keep me hungry and not get discouraged as pace changes.

Good luck!

Yolanda said...

You are such an inspiration and have a great relationship with Coach Rick and your husband!

Run for fun, and enjoy the rewards!

Margie said...

Running a race without my Garmin? I know it could be beneficial, but I am addicted! Good luck going without it- you are smart to trust your coach, because racing "naked" must be good for the brain.

Devon said...

http://devonintraining.blogspot.com/2012/04/naked-half-marathon.html I blogged about this exact same thing! I decided on my own to teach myself how to listen to my body, how to enjoy running, and stop putting pressure on myself and obsessing over pace! It was my FAVORITE half marathon! Hope it works for you!!

lindsay said...

awesome job on the repeats!!!