Sunday, June 3, 2012

Trials and track video clips

This morning I had a fun workout. (It is fun now that it is over... I was working hard during it!) Josh and I drove out to the high school track at 6am. I did a three mile warm-up with Josh, and then I did a 5x800m interval workout, and then a three mile cool down (again with Josh). I did my 800's in 2:57, 3:02, 3:03, 3:02 and 3:02. I was really happy with the times and with the consistency. 

Josh took some more video footage while I was running on the track. He really enjoys doing that! I thought that the camera was turned off when I declared after my fifth and final interval that "800's suck". :) You can hear/see that in the last clip below. Anybody want to come run with me? I would so love to have some other runners out on the track with me to train with.

Changing topics - 

I had a thought in church today. Our Sunday school lesson was about living with an attitude of gratitude. The teacher talked about how we should be grateful every day, even for the trials we have in our lives, because it is through our trials that we grow, learn, and become better. She said part of the reason we are here on Earth is to be tested, and that if life was easy all the time, we would never progress. And it's true... while we may never welcome trials when they come, almost always we look back on our trials and see that we learned an important lesson and/or that we have come through the trial as wiser, stronger, better, more blessed, etc.

I couldn't help but think that it is the same with running. If all of our runs are easy, at our same comfortable pace, we won't ever progress. It is through the "trials" - pushing ourselves on long(er) runs, tempo runs, intervals, and other challenging workouts (whatever challenging is for the level you are at), that we become faster, stronger, and better runners. All of our runs can't be "trials" (just as all of our life isn't trials), and the easy runs and easy times are important for our bodies and souls to refresh, recover and be ready to take on the next trial. But in running, and in life, it is through our trials that we grow and progress.

I hope everyone has had a great weekend. :)

Here are a couple of video clips from the track workout today.


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job!! I love the angle of the 2nd video! Love the 3rd:) thank you for your post. As I taper for my 3rd marathon -( hatfield and McCoy (june 9) my first since nov- 2011- ) I am so worried that I am not ready- but I have been doing fine in my long runs and hills!! We just second guess our abilities!! You are going to do great!! Carol - WV

Ugly said...

800s look good....in my day, the track was dirt or cinder....today, even the small towns have great tracks.

Every runner should challenge themselves to higher goals....

As the saying goes, "you will reach more goals if you just lowered your standards"....

Jen@runfortheboys said...

I LOVE the 800s suck one!!! You look great and UV is all yours :) Nice hard work!!!

giraffy said...

Ha. 800's DO suck.

outsiderunner said...

I'll run with you the next time I'm in SV, but that probably won't be until next year.

Laura @ Mommy run fast said...

800's are serious work! Nice work powering through. Great analogy for faith, life and running... trials are never fun, but they do produce character (and faster race times!)

fancy nancy said...

800s are killer! Way to go! I struggle with praising through the trials. I know that I should be gracious and I am for a time but then I break down. I love your analogy between running and trials. Definitely something for me to chew on for today's run!

Penny said...

Sorry I think 400's are just as bad. Way to go to get them 800's done. Thanks so much for the video. I love to see how people run. Than I can work on my own form. I look so natural when you run. I want that look. I will keep tring.

Julia said...

awesome 800s friend! you are ready to rock it sounds like! i agree with what you said. its always frustrating to go through a tough "trial" but i know those are also the times i grow the most!

Jill said...

You know I would run with you if I just lived a little closer. Your track is nice and Josey has been really jealous about that...but Kemmerer gets a new one this year. Yay!

Natalie R. said...

Love the track videos! I can tell by how hard you are breathing that you are working it. I am still trying to figure out how to push it, and not have my quads be too sore for future workouts. Any ideas? You know I would totally be there and train with you. I might be able to hold a 3:25-3:30, but not a 3 min 800 for 5! Great job and you are soooo ready for UV. We are cheering for you!!

Christy MyDirtRoadAnthem said...

Haha 800s do suck and you run yours so fast! Great job!

Shana said...

What kind of recovery do you do between the 800's?

Momshomerun said...

I loved this post. You are so right: we need to struggle a bit to improve. As persons and as runners.

Teamarcia said...

800's suck and that's exactly why they are fabulous. You are so right: it takes adversity to help us appreciate the good! Love watching you run!

lindsay said...

i would come run but i would not be able to hang! :)

such a true statement about attitude of gratitude and also appreciating the trials in life. reminds me of a quote i've had on my fridge ever since i moved into my own house -- "challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful" -- j. marine.