Sunday, April 15, 2012

Picture recap

I arrived in Boston on time on Friday afternoon and found my parents waiting for me in the baggage claim area.

It always feels so good to be with them! We drove to our hotel, got checked in and settled and I ate some DELICIOUS New York bagels (thanks Daddy!) We went for a walk around Boston Common and the area by our hotel, and then I went back to the hotel to rest and my parents went out for dinner. I have definitely felt like the parent while we have been here as I eat early, have been to bed early and get up early, while they go out every night, stay up late, and sleep in. :)

On Saturday morning Coach Rick picked me up at 9am. We went over to the track at MIT so I could run for him. I was a little nervous since I have never had anyone watch me run or evaluate my form, and of course I wanted to make a good impression.

Coach Rick told me told me to run two laps nice and easy, and he was going to count my steps, watch my form, etc. I got in to a groove quickly and easily, but as I finished the first lap, Rick stopped me. Before I really had a chance to wonder why, he was telling me all sorts of great things. He told me my form was great, my cadence and foot strike were right on, he was impressed with my overall fitness, etc.  I got some big smiles and high fives (and felt great) and then was on my way for some more laps. His enthusiasm and excitement were definitely uplifting.

After a couple more slow laps, Rick asked me to pick up the pace gradually. Again he stopped me, and this time he told me that I looked even better "at speed".  I did a few more laps, and then he asked me to run at marathon pace for a few laps. He said my form didn't change over time, even at speed, and that that was great. I did a couple of slower laps again, and then we walked a couple of laps together to talk.

Basically Rick said that there is a tweak or two we will make over time, but that he felt I had "all the tools" to achieve the things I want to achieve if I put the work in.

We headed over to the expo to get my number, packet, and to see all there was to see. We beat the big crowds since we were there early. I am not a big shopper but it is fun to see all the products, booths, runners, etc.

I did get to see my buddy Bart at the Runner's World booth. He promptly whipped out a copy of the May issue and showed the people standing around that I was in the magazine. I told him I just wanted to say hi and get a hug, not get embarrassed. :) We talked for a little bit and got the mandatory picture. Bart is a great guy!


We left the expo to head back to the hotel, and I spotted my parents walking, so we pulled over and picked them up.

Dad, Pam and I had a nice lunch, and then we got some pictures at the finish line (although I did not get a picture on it and I didn't get any closer to it than this. I don't want to cross that finish line until it counts!)


We walked back to the hotel and rested for awhile, and then met up for dinner with friends of my parents, and my friend, the wonderful Miss Zippy! Dinner was fun, but afterwards when the rest of the group was going out for drinks, Amanda and I each headed back to our hotels for early bedtimes.

We aren't the most exciting party-ers, but we clean up nice!

This morning was an early start, and I left the hotel for a short run at 5:45am. I ran three miles around Boston Common, and found a nice flat, quiet stretch in the park to do my strides. I got back to the hotel, showered, and packed a breakfast, and then Coach Rick picked me up at 7:15.  He took me for a tour of the course, which was super helpful. We drove up to Hopkinton and walked around and got some pictures at the starting area.


Rick knows the course inside and out, and it was really great and helpful to see the course and get so much insight. I definitely feel more confident after seeing the course and knowing what to expect.

We stopped along the course and I got a photo with the Johnny Kelley statue. I love it!


It was exciting to see the Citgo sign and the final turns on to Hereford and Boylston...I can only imagine how exciting it will be to see them tomorrow!

I had a yummy lunch with my parents at a restaurant near the hotel. Pam has to work tomorrow so we (very sadly) had to say good-bye to her.

Me with my Dad


Me with Pam
Shortly after Pam left, we met up with my fellow Brooks runner and sweet friend Robin! I had spent time with her at Disney and was excited to see her again. Here we are. :)

Robin is so much fun!
And since visiting with Robin and her family, my Dad and I have been relaxing in our hotel room. I am going to finish getting things ready for the morning, and then get some sleep.

Good night world! Tomorrow is Boston Marathon Day!

21 comments:

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Love all the pics! ...and you got your NY bagel - YAY!

Christy MyDirtRoadAnthem said...

What a fun post! Looks like you are really soaking it all in! Enjoy and good luck!

Caroline said...

Wishing you all the best Erin!!! stay safe out there tomorrow

Penny said...

Good Luck tomorrow. Your so ready to Rock Boston. Cant wait to hear all about it.

BigHappyFamily said...

Enjoy the (sweaty, hot) experience! Love, love, love Boston. I have lived there, and cheered for the marathon many a year. Missing it this year :(

Becky at Prairie Runner said...

Go, Erin, go!! I am sure it was so cool to get all that positive feedback on your running form! Your coach seems like a great fit for you!! My students and I will be tracking you! Enjoy!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Best of luck to you Erin! You are very prepared for tomorrow and it will be wonderful!

June said...

Good luck Erin!! Fingers crossed for that cold front coming in for you. ;)

Shannon @ Tales from an Average Runner said...

The weekend sounds very fulfilling so far. Good luck and have fun tomorrow!

coach dion said...

7 hours and counting...

Good Luck, can't wait to read all about it...

Annet said...

I agree with Dion, can't wait to read your recaps, they are always so detailed!!

Run fast, run safe and have fun!!!
p.s. funny that you followed me on Twitter, my only reason for signing up was so I could follow you - am I a virtual stalker?! :0

SWMom said...

YAY! I'm super excited for you! I know the weather wasn't what you planned, but I really hope you run the very best you can on this day, in this race, under these temps and conditions! Prayers for a safe and fast run!

Yolanda said...

Thank you for sharing as it makes me want to be there badly to cheer you on! I will do so from my home today here in Kansas.

Renee said...

Praying for you as you are running NOW! Oh, so excited! You are going to rock it!

runnerwannabe said...

Good luck Erin! Can't wait to hear your recap, I am sure you rocked it!

On the Right Track said...

Best of luck Erin...stay hydrated huh?
;)

SWMom said...

YAY! You're running! I'm tracking and cheering you along all the way from Kansas! Prayers for a safe, fast race!

Anonymous said...

Just saw you are projected 3:16! Wow, you are doing so so so well Erin! I have a few people cheering you on from work! Your story (I read your old adoption blog, we emailed a few times and I've since adopted 2 children who have special needs!) is inspirational!!!

Keep running!!!

Kate

Laura said...

Love this recap! How fun to meet up with Amanda and Robin... you all ran so smart today. I can imagine what a disappointment it is to lose the opportunity to really "race"- but it sounds like you're having an awesome time regardless!

kathrynellen said...

Hi Erin,
I don't even know you, but I read your blog and tell all my friends about your incredible life! So... last night I had a dream about you and the Boston Marathon! I woke up wondering about how today would go. I wish you the very best! You deserve it and you've worked hard!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first Boston! We were tracking youband sending out energy towards you at the end! Cant wait to hear about it!!!!! Love your posts! Carol- wv