Sunday, April 15, 2012

The night before

There are some things we have control over in life, and some things we have no control at all over.

The weather is one of those things that we just have no control over.

I have trained for 12+ weeks to run a sub 3:15 marathon. I am in shape to do it. I am here in Boston, ready to race.

And it is supposed to be close to 90 degrees tomorrow, during race time.

The B.A.A. has sent out multiple emails to runners. If you haven't heard, they have taken the unprecedented step of offering a deferment option, allowing runners that don't cross the starting line tomorrow to be in the race for next year without having to requalify. The last email recommends that runners who did not run the qualifying time (such as charity runners), runners who have any medical conditions, runners who are not acclimated to high temperatures for running, runners who are undertrained, and runners who have not run a full marathon before, should not run tomorrow.

They are saying for those that do run tomorrow that it should not be considered a race, and that runners should slow their pace significantly, take walk breaks, etc. etc. etc.

Of course I am still running. But it sounds like the chances of this being a big PR race are slim. Coach Rick is advising that I scale back my expectations and run by feel. We drove the entire race course this morning and he gave me a ton of great insight on how to run the course. I think it was very very helpful to see the course in advance and have the mental edge of knowing what to expect.

(I will write a full recap of my time and experiences here, but I just have to say that Rick has been completely amazing. I knew he was wonderful before we met in person, but he is even more wonderful than I had expected. It has been a blessing to get to know him and spend time with him.)

My number one goal tomorrow is now to finish safely. I am going to push myself, but do so smartly, and will listen to my body. I will not go out too fast or too hard. I will run the very best race I can under the given conditions. I don't really know what to expect, but as I always do, I will give it my all.

My number again if you want to track me is 11697. I very likely will not be running the time/pace I originally hoped, but we will see what race day brings.

I appreciate all the cheers, prayers, and COOL thoughts you can send my way.

More soon! I am off to rest up, and in the morning, I am running in the Boston Marathon!!!!!

18 comments:

robinbb said...

Good luck tomorrow my speedy friend. I look forward to celebrating yet another marathon victory at the finish line with you. :)

Elly said...

Sending cool, breezy thoughts to Boston! Enjoy the race anyway - what a journey you have been on to get there, so cherish the experience :)

Christy MyDirtRoadAnthem said...

Good luck! I can't wait to hear all about your amazing experience and I know you will be awesome. There will be other chances for a 3:15 I have no doubt you will get one someday.

Lisa said...

I hope tomorrow is a great day for you and you leave Boston with amazing memories! Stay safe and have fun! Good luck!

Owlhaven said...

Wishing you a wonderful race, Erin!

Mary

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Love it all. You got this. Love, hugs, prayers, and COOL thoughts your way!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you! You are an inspiration to us mums everywhere. How do you track/watch online? Would love to cheer you on!

Kate

Anonymous said...

Very best wishes to you, Erin! I'll be thinking of you (and sending some cool breezes your way from Utah!)
Amy

Stephanie said...

I'm not a stalker, but read your blog faithfully. I texted for updates on your race. GOOD LUCK!!

Melanie said...

So fun and exciting! Good Luck tomorrow! I know you are going to do great!!!

rachel murphy said...

Godspeed my amazing friend. Xo

Yolanda said...

I am following you today as you run thanks to modern technology. You can do this!! Praying for you

Mark Matthews said...

Following your bib number through Texts. Time at 10k, half, 30k, finish, and everytime you get a drink and wipe sweat from your brow. Right now you are about eight miles in.

Valorie D said...

I'm tracking you and you are doing amazing!! Way to go Erin!

Majda said...

I'm tracking you, too, and thinking of you. You're at 36k right now and, man, you're TOUGH!

Majda said...

PS: With "tough" I meant "strong"... English is not my mother tongue and now I'm not sure if it doesn't have any other meanings in the runners' language. Definitely meaning it positively! :)

Susan O. said...

Way to go!!

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

You did awesome!