Friday, March 9, 2012

Killer Friday Work-Out

Happy Friday everybody! The kids have a random day off from school today so it has been a busy day, but a good day. The temps have warmed up, the sun is shining, the roads are CLEAR and I am looking at 10 miles OUTSIDE in the morning, and another 10 miles outside on Sunday. I cannot wait. :)

This morning's workout was what Coach Ray calls a "quality" work out. Indeed! I ran my 23 miler on Monday, and then had an easy six miles on Tuesday, and two easy-paced 10-milers on Wednesday and Thursday. I felt fully recovered from Monday's hard effort and ready to RUN.

The workout for this morning was 16 miles, with four miles easy, then 4 x 1 mile repeats at 6:49 (with 90 second rest intervals), then another four miles easy, then another 4 x 1 mile repeats at 6:49. It was not an easy work out, but it was "good tough".

I felt really good, I love running fast, and I thrive on the hard/tough workouts. I had strict instructions on what pace to run the repeats at (no faster) but I did sprint out the last half mile of the last repeat. Sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. :)

I watched some TV on Hulu on my laptop for the first part of the workout, but for the last four mile repeats I needed to just rock out to some music. I have a few "power" running songs that I go to often, but today I was all about the "girl power" songs.

The first one was "Stronger" by Kelly Clarkson.

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Stand a little taller
Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone.

What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
Footsteps even lighter
Doesn't mean I'm over cause you're gone"

I especially love the part "makes you a fighter -foosteps even lighter". Pretty perfect for mile repeats! :)

My other girl power song is "Fighter" by Christina Aguilera.
"'Cause it
Makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
Makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter

Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Makes me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter"

In my head I change the "learn a little bit faster" to "RUN a little bit faster".

Some of my other go-to "power songs" are "All These Things That Ive Done" by The Killers (I've got soul but I'm not a solider... my favorite!!!), "I Wanna" by the All-American Rejects (and a bunch of their other songs),  "Take Me Back" (Van Halen, and all sorts of Van Halen), "Burn it to the Ground" by Nickelback, "How Far We've Come" by Matchbox Twenty, "Rock That Body" by Black Eyed Peas, "Sweat" by Bow Wow, "Invincible" by MGK, (I have teenagers - it's good running music!), a bunch of Mumford & Sons (love! I am an Irish gal!),  a pile of Aerosmith and Maroon 5, and a bunch of others. It's a treat for me to run with music once and awhile since I usually don't.

Now I have two easy days of recovery-paced 10 milers for the weekend, and then another long run on Monday. (I love that a 16 miler isn't even my long run of the week).

On Sunday I will have run 85 miles this week, which will be my highest weekly mileage yet, and I couldn't be happier with how I feel. I had a bit of a cold the middle of this week but it is almost completely gone now. I have been really trying to be good about getting enough rest, eating well, etc. etc. It's not easy with my life and schedule, but I am doing the best I can and it seems to be working.

And did I mention that I am running OUTSIDE tomorrow morning? Can you feel my excitement? It will be very early so I won't be soaking up any sun, but I will be off the treadmill and outside, so I will be thrilled.

Run Happy this weekend!

10 comments:

Ugly said...

Since I'm 51, my music would go alittle further back....

Ugly's list:
Rolling Stones
Beatles
Elvis
Led Zepplin
ACDC
Louis Armstrong

Running is a fun challenge....need goals for sure....

Mallory said...

Great running this week! You are awesome!

Caroline said...

You are on fire!!!
I can feel your excitement!
I have a lot of the same tunes!
Mumford and sons....love love them!

Penny said...

Your training is going great. Keep it up girl.

Toni said...

Sounds like your training is going great!
Enjoy your run outside, I also live in the Rocky Mountains and finally had a chance to run in a t-shirt yesterday!

Jill said...

Holy smokes girl, that was one AWESOME workout on Friday! You are on fire and I couldn't be happier!!!

Outside for running - yay!! It is suppose to be in the 70's here next week. I. Can't. Wait!!!! Enjoy your run, soak up tons of Vitamin D!! :)

ryanandginger said...

I'd love to read more of your music playlists! Several months ago I went through the one you posted a while back and listened to each one on iTunes and created a great list. I run to them every day. Do you have any new ones since then?

SWMom said...

Congrats! Great workout! I have a bunch of the same songs as you do, but I have got to start with some Beck and Beastie Boys :)
Running outside is the best! I got in a great short run this week outside and couldn't be happier! Best of luck this week with your runs -

Valorie D said...

I am taking some of your power song suggestions. Have you tried LMFAO- "Party Rock Anthem"? Sometimes I think I should just have that one on a loop!

robinbb said...

Did you see the you tube video of Desi Davila's training workout just before the trials? It reminds me of your crazy workout. You are amazing girl.....Lookout Boston, Erin is going to fly through you.