Monday, March 5, 2012

Find your inner Superman

"Anyone can give up; it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."
~ Christopher Reeves

I found this quote last night and I LOVE it.

This morning I ran 23 miles on the treadmill. Coach Ray gave me the goal of running it at an 8:15 pace (a minute per mile slower than goal marathon pace), which would be a total time of 3hrs 9 mins 45 sec for the run.  The time spent on my feet running was an important aspect of this work out. I was a really good girl (if I do say so myself) and resisted the urge to run faster until the last mile, when I cranked it up to 7:13  because I felt great and I like to finish fast and strong.  So I finished the 23 miles in 3hrs 8 mins and 35 seconds.

Even though it was on the treadmill, this was an awesome run. I just felt great the entire time. My legs never felt tired, crampy, or sore. The pace felt easy the whole time. I never hit a wall or felt like I couldn't finish. I just ran (and ran and ran) and enjoyed the running. I watched a little TV and a mediocre movie, and then just listened to some music.

I had to get started before 5am and between the early start and 3+ hours of running I am definitely tired, so I will resting and recovering as much as I can now the rest of the day. This will be an 85 mile week and I want to be ready for the rest of my workouts. :)

Six weeks until Boston! I am happy to say that I am feeling strong mentally and physically.

How do you find your strength?

11 comments:

Lisa@The Daily RUNdown said...

Good job. Your really fast and have more dedication than anyone I've ever seen! You will undoubtedly achieve all of your goals. Quick question... What kind of shoes do you wear?

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Nice job on your run! I did my longest ever run Sunday (18 miles) and no way could I have pulled out the last mile that fast :) You are going to do so awesome at Boston!

Julia said...

a truly fantastic quote! i love it! you are SO strong friend! you dominated that run. definitely take some time to rest and recover today :) good luck the rest of the week!

Mark Matthews said...

Your legs never felt tired or sore? You are an android.

I find my inner strength through music typically, and have videos of my life fast forwarding through my brain in crazy visions and the run is the place to prove myself or wilter and die. Basically. :-)

I don't think this is your first Boston, right?

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Not sore? You are my hero! Crazy good stuff!!! Yay you :)

Teamarcia said...

You are driven, woman! You'll stand at the starting line in Hopkinton and you'll think back to that run and many like it and it'll make your trip to Boylston that much sweeter. I cannot wait to cheer you on (in spirit) in 6 weeks.
I adore that quote!

coach dion said...

3 hours on a tread mill.... I could never do that.

I do how ever need those 3hour runs, so I plan to hit the mountain this weekend. No that's not going to happen I'm running a 15km race on Saturday and then have a 110km cycle race (ride, because I don't cycle much) on Sunday... I'm going to be missing miles...

L.A. Runner said...

You hinted at a TM being easier than road running, which I think physically it IS. Here's the thing, though. You are building some serious mental toughness by running that far on a TM! I also agree with "time on feet runs." It's looking like you are primed and ready to meet that Boston goal! :)

On the Right Track said...

amazing...purely amazing!

I find my inner strength through song, nature, reflection my childen and reading stories like this one!!

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

Holy canoli! That is impressive! I pull strength from my 'want'(does that make sense?), my family's encouragement, my fun tunes, and scenery...oh and the feeling of accomplishment! So proud of what you are doing! keep it up!

Michele @nycrunningmama said...

You are much stronger than I am! It's SO hard for me to not speed up when I am feeling good - especially when I am on the treadmill b/c I see the pace the whole time!
23 miles is a serious mental workout - AMAZING!!! And great pace!!