Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Breather

Coming up for a breather from kids, work, cleaning, running, and life to get a blog post written finally. I have sat down to do this several times in the last few days and it just hasn't happened.

Since my happy, happy post about running outside, I have logged another 34 marvelous miles outside, and did a tough 12 mile work out on the treadmill (4 miles easy, 4 miles at 7:13, 1 mile at 7:03, 1 at 6:58, 1 at 6:53, 1/2 mile at 6:49, last 1/2 mile - faster).

The roads are clear and temps are staying up in the 40's during the day. There is snow and rain in the forecast for the next week and the high school track isn't clear yet, but as long as the temps stay up I should be able to get a lot of my runs done outside now. It is still quite dark at 5:00am (thank you daylight savings) but I was warm enough today that I ditched my jacket and gloves by mile 3.

Today's run (outside) was a 12 mile fartlek run. I am used to structured workouts (from Coach Ray, and because that is how I did things on my own) so at first I wasn't quite sure how to tackle it. I wanted it to be a challenging workout physically, but still fun. I ran with my IPOD and used the music to help me change up the pace. Sometimes I ran hard for a full song, sometimes I ran really hard for just a chorus, sometimes I picked out a sign or a building up ahead and sprinted to that, sometimes I sprinted down a hill, and sometimes I sprinted up the hills.  I played with pace and effort and it turned out to be a tough but really good (and fun) run.

This will be my second 85-mile week in a row and knock on wood, all is going well.

And just like that my free time is over again.

But first - as a Brooks sponsored athlete I obviously love Brooks, but I have loved Brooks since long before they sponsored me. I have always thought that their shoes and gear were superior to everything else I tried (in performance, quality, fit, and appearance), and I LOVE their motto of RUN HAPPY!

Right now Brooks is having some AWESOME "Spring Cleaning" sales on shoes and apparel.

You can find the women's closeouts here.
and the mens' closeouts here.  Lots of great stuff and great deals.


And for those of you thinking about trying the PureProject line of shoes you can read my very detailed review of the PureFlows and my adventures in finding the perfect shoes for me here. Lots of new fun colors just came in the PureProject shoes!!

Hope everyone is having a great week. More soon!

6 comments:

BumbersBumblings said...

Pretty amazing you can fit that mileage in! I'm running my second half in a few weeks and really struggle to fit it in--with just one child! I also LOVE brooks! My running has greatly improved since I switched to their shoes and socks!

SeeAliEatSeeAliRun said...

I love using music to guide my pace! Helps change things up a bit, keeps me motivated and keeps things interesting.

coach dion said...

85miles, I hope to get back there in the next couple of weeks, wish I had the energy to run like that again, but after 20 years it body is wearing out...

Love sponsors, specialy ones you can shout about because you love the product. I've got a new sponsor, and when I get some stuff I will tell the world!!!

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

Amazing mileage! I couldn't imagine 85 in a week. Hope that rain and snow doesn't keep you inside on the treadmill too long.

Ugly said...

85 miles!....I am trying to maintain my 45 mile weeks....Sounds like you are ready for Boston....

I think I'll try a pair of Brooks for the first time....

That is whats fun about the upcoming road racing--it is for everyone from age 17 to age 80....

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Oh the double temptation.....good prices on running shoes and they are Brooks!!!