Sunday, March 25, 2012

Birthday review

My birthday started off with leaving the house at 6:15am to be on the high school track by 6:30am. This was the first time since September that I had been able to do speedwork on the track, and it was GREAT. For one, I LOVE the track, and for two, the paces come much, much easier for me on the track than they do on the treadmill.

I wanted a bit of speedwork but not too much (since I have a 20 miler tomorrow and had that killer 16-miler on Wednesday), so I did a warm up, 3x1200 with 400m rest intervals, and then a half mile cool down. My goal pace range for the 1200s was 6:08-6:26, and I did them in 6:00-6:18 (times of 4:40, 4:36, 4:30). It was hard to check my Garmin in the dark, so I ran a lot by feel. I was pleasantly surprised to see my times since these didn't feel too hard, although there were only three of them.

After the short track session I joined my running club for an easy-paced six mile run. There was a small turnout today so Josh and I ran together and it was a really wonderful run. We visited at the end of the run a little bit with friends and then headed home to the kids and for breakfast.

Back at home, after the run

Smiles
After lunch we headed into town where Josh participated in the Jackalope Jump (a polar plunge) as a fundraiser for the Special Olympics. He was super lucky that we have been having VERY warm weather for us, but the water was COLD (48F!) and dirty! He jumped twice - once a front flip and once a belly flop. He raised almost $400 for Special Olympics and the group all together raised over $6000! We all went and cheered on Josh and the other "jumpers".

Contemplating....
He was just about to say, 'That's cold!"

After we got everyone back home, I went back in to town with a couple of kids to get some groceries, and then we had dinner, cake and presents. I don't usually get presents from Josh and the kids but they surprised me this year with an Eli Manning jersey and a NY Giants hoodie. Go Giants!


With my dairy allergy I couldn't eat this cake, but Josh and the kids sure did enjoy it!

I always make the kids try things on and model so they returned the favor....
Of course I got a fun variety of homemade cards, notes, and creations, and piles of hugs and kisses (my favorites). I got phone calls from Dad and Pam and from my brother, and a gift certificate for some (much needed) clothes that fit from Josh's parents.

My sweet Des (14) "gave" me a song that she found on Youtube. How sweet is that? You can see it here. Love it!

I haven't let on much here, but it has been a difficult few weeks for me lately and this week has brought the beginning of a new year and a new chapter for me. It has amazed me the last few days how when you unburden yourself of things that have been weighing you down emotionally and face them and work through them with people that love you and are truly there for you always, that you feel so much lighter physically.

I am grateful for my very many blessings and this truly wonderful life I am living. I am grateful for Josh, our kids, my parents, my brother, our families, and our friends. I am grateful for my faith. I am grateful for a renewed sense of love, security, and happiness. I am grateful for my running.

I am grateful for a new year (for me!)

There are good and exciting things ahead.

15 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds like a great way to celebrate your birthday! My husband's was the day before yours. :)

Michelle said...

This was great to read! Happy Birthday. Glad you are loved and supported.

Nicole said...

Happy Birthday! You clearly enjoyed every minute and that is wonderful. Here is to a fabulous year!

On the Right Track said...

GO GIANTS ;)
glad you had a great b-day!!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

This brings me many smiles for you my friend :)

Caroline said...

so glad this as a good birthday for you Erin!!!

Suz and Allan said...

What a wonderful birthday!

Jill said...

You and Josh look so cute together - love that little smooch pic :). Hoping this "new year" brings you much success and happiness! I'm starting a new chapter too, I think....we'll be twins with new - and great - beginnings! :)

coach dion said...

I want chocolate cake...

Happy Birthday, all the best for the year to come.

Stephanie Anne said...

Looks like you had a great birthday!!

Mom's Home Run said...

Congratulations on your birthday!
I've never run on the track, because it's too far from our home. I always run on dirt roads.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I know you will achieve your goals:) carol- wv

fancy nancy said...

Happy birthday!!! You are too cute! I love your gifts even though I'm so not a Giants fan!! Cheers to a great year!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

sounds like it was a great birthday! Happy Birthday Again!

Corporate gifts said...

Thanks for all of these posts. I like the guidelines you've laid out here. Thanks for sharing us.