Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Training update

I promised a training update today, so here goes!

There is now less than nine weeks until the Boston Marathon and that is exciting! It is crazy to me to think that a year ago I was training for the Salt Lake City Marathon, and was scared to death to try and run a sub-four marathon (and wasn't completely sure I could do it). I ran a 3:57 in mid-April last year (and was THRILLED) but remember saying that I could never qualify for Boston because I "knew" that I had run as fast as I could. Ha! I never, ever would have guessed that I would take almost 30 minutes off of my PR in five months, and that I would be running Boston this year and setting a goal to qualify for the Olympic Trials in 2016.

But here I am! (So learn a lesson from me, and never doubt or limit what you can do/achieve).

Training is going great I think. This week I will be up to 78 miles and after a scale back/recovery week last week, I enjoyed some speed work today and am looking forward to my 19 miler on Friday. I am still getting up at 4:30 am to get myself awake, get my strength/core work done, and then be running by 5:30am. It is working out well, although there is very little hope of me staying awake past 10:30pm any night.

With the snow, ice, and dark combination we are stuck with right now, almost all of my runs are forced on the treadmill. It is definitely not my favorite, but it is getting the job done. I am looking forward to things hopefully warming up a little in the next few weeks so maybe by early to mid-March I can take my runs outside. (We will get snow at least through May, but the icy roads should stop being a constant issue in the next few weeks). Fingers crossed!

Coach Ray and I are working really, really well together. There is a lot of communication back and forth that I think is really helping this training benefit me as much as possible.  Today was a new work out for me. It was a 3.5 mile warm up, then 5x8 minutes at 6:58 pace with 1 minute jogs in between, then a 3.5 mile cool down (it was just over 13 miles total). It was a great run! It was fun to run faster. It wasn't a maximum effort and I could have pushed the pace, but I am following directions. :)

My training plan is only a 12-week plan, but I came into it after months of high mileage and regular speedwork and long runs, so I have a very sturdy base to build on.

I do really love the high (for me) mileage and I am very happy with how well my body is responding to the training and how great I feel. I am excited/optimistic about Boston.  But for now, I am just going to keep working hard and doing all that I can to stay healthy, so I can get to that start line ready to run fast and strong.

What are you training for? How is it going?

16 comments:

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

It's interesting to read what your workout was for today and how many miles you're up to - lots! The note about not running at your maximum today is a good lesson. Glad to hear your training is going so well!

Annet said...

I really do need to learn that lesson about myself, so am going to try to take that on board!

Curious about your travel plans for Boston. Is Josh going to be able to go with you?

Jill Will Run said...

My first reaction was to glumly say, "I'm not training for anything..." But I guess I'm training for a pretty big race in it's own right... motherhood! Thank you for your positive words on that experience!

Suz and Allan said...

Glad to hear your training is going so well! Boston has gotten here so fast this year.

I most certainly need to listen to you about not doubting what I can do. I'm bad about thinking this is as far as I can run or as fast as I can run when I can actually do more.

Christie said...

You ran SLC?? :) It was my first half and I am going to run the full this year. You are so dedicated and passionate - LOVE that about your blog.

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

Fantastic job running long miles early in the morning AND on the treadmill. Please know when I call you a beast that it's a compliment ;)

I am training for triathlons and a 10 K and you know maybe another half. We'll see.

Stephanie Anne said...

awesome job with all your training! you are so inspiring!

Jill said...

Your mileage amazes me. I'm lucky if I make it to 40/week. Right now I'm training for a spring half and my goal is to make it under 1:35. I'm running a 10K this weekend and hope to PR and maybe shoot for sub-43:00. Can't wait to hear how your training pays off.

misszippy said...

So great your training is ticking along like that! And i'm amazed at how much you do, all on the treadmill. That's tough!

Wow, Boston is so close now!

coach dion said...

Boston is anything but close, 12 weeks is a long way, and you are going to get a load of really great training in between now and then.

SWMom said...

Yay! Great workout! I'm training for another PR at my next trail 10k. My speed work is going well! I wish you all the best as you continue running for Boston!

Tiffany said...

What is your "goal time" for Boston?

portia said...

I'm running a half marathon next weekend (my first) and a full (also my first) in May. You are such an inspiration to me! I only hope I can get half as fast as you in twice as long. :)

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

I don't know if I could run that many miles EVER, much less on a treadmill. I think I'd go crazy. :) I'm very happy we've had a mild winter where I live. Even when it snowed, it wasn't icy and I could run outside with no problem. I admire you very much for sticking with your plan no matter what.

On the Right Track said...

Erin, you are always so positive and enthusiastic about your training...sounds like it is going great and more importantly, that you are enjoying it!!

Well...I did go swimming last week. My first form of REAL exercise since the surgery...a tri class that was 90 minutes long...

and I felt great:)

Zimms Zoo said...

I just started running last April. I finished my first 10k but not as well as I would have liked. I don't have a treadmill nor anywhere to put one but I run every day that is even somewhat nice.

I have enjoyed browsing your blog. What an inspiration to us large family moms (although I only have six plus my 93 yo grandmother that lives with us)!

I found you via Owlhaven