Sunday, February 26, 2012

Fearlessly

We have had a lazy weekend - lots of laying around together, lots of snuggling (Maggie especially has been glued to my side), lots of laughing and silliness. I love weekends like this. It was nice to have Josh home too, since he will be gone for three days at the end of this week for state indoor track.

We went and saw "This Means War" at the movies on Friday night which was a lot of fun and we watched Tower Heist here at home last night which was also a fun movie (and I stayed awake for BOTH!)  Last week brought some work stress and a night of almost no sleep courtesy of Noah's alarms, so a weekend like this is just what I needed to recharge.

We did have a bit of a miracle happen here at home this week. Noah walked across our whole front room with a walker! He has now done it lots of times, and his physical therapist thinks he will be walking independently in the very near future. Pretty dang amazing for a kid who they told us may never even hold his own head up. Who says miracles don't still happen?

My kids bring me SO much happiness and joy. They say and do so many little things in a day that make me laugh and smile. They are the most amazing bunch of kids ever.

I have been reading "Young at Heart - The Story of Johnny Kelley, Boston's Marathon Man". I won it from the awesome Caroline, and since I love to read, I love books about runners, and I am getting super excited about the Boston Marathon, this book came at the perfect time. :)

Now since I have been busy training hard and running lots of miles, being a full time mom, wife, and housekeeper, putting extra time and energy into my job, and being shortchanged on sleep, most of the time when I sit down to read my book I make it a couple of pages and promptly fall asleep. But I have been carrying it around a lot and making slow (for me) but steady progress.

Today I sat down on the couch with my favorite turquoise blanket and my book and Marcus (7 years old) came over and snuggled with me. He looked at my book and said, "Mom! YOU are going to run the Boston Marathon!" and I agreed and told him I was excited. Then he said, "And then they are going to write a book called Erin Henderson - Boston's Marathon Woman." Ha! What a kid.

(I did explain a little about what made Johnny Kelley so great and that no one would be writing any books about me, but he didn't seem convinced).

Only seven weeks (tomorrow) until the Boston Marathon. It's crazy how fast time goes. A few of you have asked about my goal for Boston - my goal is to be under 3:15. Coach Ray thinks I am right on track for that, so I am feeling pretty confident and excited.  This week I ran 78 miles, and now I have a scale back/recovery week ahead that will be 69 miles I believe (I will get my work outs for the week from Ray tonight). I just keep putting in the work and believing it will pay off, and most importantly, I truly am enjoying this journey of pushing myself and seeing what I can accomplish doing something I love.

I leave you with a few quotes -


"There is only one you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself. " - Anthony Rapp

"You have a masterpiece inside you, you know. One unlike any that has ever been created, or ever will be. If you go to your grave without painting your masterpiece, it will not get painted. No one else can paint it. Only you." -Gordon MacKenzie 

"You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through." -Rosalynn Carter

14 comments:

Ugly said...

Good luck at Boston....

Another saying, 'Enjoy the simple things in life....For one day you will look back and realize they were the big things....,

Enjoying family times is definitely a simple thing that adds values....

Its hard to expaling the Primitive Joys of running to non-runners....they never understand....but running is a simple joy that adds value....

Jen@runfortheboys said...

SO SO SO PROUD IF NOAH!!! That is amazing! We are the ones who put limits on ourselves....like the doctors did with Noah...there is NO limit to how far he can go - and the same is true for us. We can learn a lot from your miracle baby. Hugs and love for that little guy :)

P.S. That 3:15 is YOURS!!!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Ugh...WHEN will I learn to spell check? I meant I am proud OF Noah :)

Caroline said...

Erin Henderson - Boston's Marathon Woman."

I would buy that book!!!!

I am glad you like the book
can you guess where I found it?
you would never guess....
at the dollar store!!!!

I bought all 5 copies!
I am giving another one away next month!!

coach dion said...

You keep running and one day Marcus can write that book about his mother!!! "Marathon Mother" the story of an amazing woman throw the eyes of her son...

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting for Noah! He has the best family:) pretty exciting time.for.you too personally! Go get that 3:15! Carol- wv

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Noah is a champion!

Old Runningfox. said...

Just trust the training effect of all those miles you're putting in, then go to Boston and live your dream.
Good luck!

Jill said...

Awww, love snuggle time when my kiddos were little. My 21-year old has been home a lot lately due to some stress in her life, and it brings back lots of memories when we lie in bed and talk. And I think your little guy is right...someone's going to be writing a book about your Boston adventure - I will be first in line to buy it! :)

Ah, Boston! Really going to miss it...hopefully one day I'll be back. You're going to have such a fantastic time!

Hope you get some much-needed sleep. Your body needs that rest and recovery so it can keep being strong for all those miles!

Have a fantastic week!

Julia said...

so glad you all had such a fun weekend together as family :) that book sounds really good. i love to read about running and although i am not running boston...it sounds very intriguing! hope you have a fantastic week of training!

Annet and Kirk said...

Miracle boy - what a special kid! Amazing!!!

And yup, I'd buy your book!

lindsay said...

I'm glad all is well! Thank you for the kind comment on my last post. Things are challenging over here but i know I still have a lot to be thankful for. I certainly wouldn't mind if you threw up a prayer or 473983 for me for healing!! :) very inspiring to hear of Noah's continued progress too.

Suz and Allan said...

What a weekend filled with special memories and wonderful blessings!

Terzah said...

I love it when you share a Noah break-through on here (I'm catching up with blogs after another sick weekend and a work trip). And Marcus stories too--he sounds like quite a character, and he's probably more right than you are about that book! :^)