Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What do you want to know?

I was tagged by a couple of people to play the 11's game. The rules are that you post 11 random things about yourself, then answer 11 questions that someone else gave you, then post 11 questions to be answered by others.

Here you go!

11 random things about me -

1.  My maiden name is Dawidziak. (It's Polish!) Pretty awesome, although I always dreaded the first day of school because EVERY teacher butchered it. It is pronounced Da-wid-zee-ack (pretty much how it looks). Henderson isn't any shorter, but it is a whole lot easier.

2. Horses are my favorite animal. I used to spend many hours of almost every day riding horses, caring for horses, working at the stable, etc. I don't have horses anymore, but I still love them. Secretariat and Seabiscuit are two of my favorite movies. When you watch horses run, they run because they love it and it is part of who they are. It's beautiful!

3. I get lonely. That probably sounds REALLY funny coming from a mom of 12, but Josh works long, long hours, I don't leave the house super often beyond running and quick errands (especially this time of year because of Noah), I don't have many close friends, and my family is all far away. I have lots of people I care about and enjoy seeing that are supportive and friendly here where we live (I truly love our community), but not many I talk to on a frequent basis or that check in on me/spend time with me often.

4. I am fiercely loyal and devoted to the people I do have in my life. 

5. Dirty floors drive me crazy.

6. For a year or two in my pre-teens, my greatest ambition in life was to grow up and be a Laker Girl. I even had a video tape by the Laker Girls to dance along to. (I never took dance and never was a cheerleader, so obviously I didn't take that very far!) It makes me giggle (in shame) to think about now.

7. I fall asleep during probably 72% of the movies I watch. I do love movies, but it seems that my body just decides that if I have nothing better to do than be still and watch a movie, I should be sleeping instead. I have zero control over it.

8.  I can be naive. Not in the "I believe that the guy in the email wants my back account number so he can wire me three million dollars" kind of way, but in the way that I generally believe people's intentions are good, and I can be overly trusting and optimistic. Even though I get disappointed/hurt and taken advantage of once and awhile, it's who I am and at this point I probably am not changing. And I am ok with it, because I would rather err on the side of thinking the best of people than the alternative.

9. Marshmallow is my favorite flavor.

10. I am TERRIBLE at "name that tune". Truly terrible. I love music, but I completely stink at that game. (On the flip side, Josh can identify every song ever made in the first three notes).

11. I am starting a running club! Because I have so much free time on my hands (ha ha). Honestly, I am starting a running club because there is a lot of interest here where I live (and no running club) and I hope to be able to help and inspire others, while at the same time being inspired by others and enjoying a social running community here. So far the response has been really great and I am excited to get things moving forward.

And bonus - 

12. The Giants are going to win the Super Bowl this weekend! Ok, that is not really about me, but it kind of is because I love sports and I love NY. I will cheer for the Giants, Yankees, and Rangers forever.

Questions from Jess at Pace of Me

1. Do you collect anything?  If so, what and why?
I am not really a collector. I don't have a lot of money to spend on extra things that I don't really need, and I don't like clutter. I do have piles and piles of books, and an ever-growing medal collection. :)
2. A friend is visiting your town for the first time. Where would you take him/her and why? 
If there is not too much snow (they are here from June to October) I would take them to the Intermittent Spring. It's a fun hike, a beautiful area, and a really cool natural feature. Check out the link. It's really cool! If they come when the Spring is snowed in, then I would take them up to our favorite sledding hill. Then we would go downtown to eat, and to see and take a picture under the world's largest elkhorn arch (you know you want to come visit me now). :)

3. Lucky number?  Is there a reason behind it?
13. It always has been. Josh and I were married on the 13th, our first apartment was 13-C, and 13 is just always a good recurring number for me/us.
4. What is your favorite inspirational quote?
I have way too many to pick a favorite, but the one I try to live by is, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Mahatma Gandhi 
5. Were you a tomboy as a kid?
I was middle of the road. I had dolls and played sports. But I have never been very "girlie". I have never worn lots of make up or spent money on jewelry, purses, shoes (running shoes aside), or manicures. It's just not my style.

6. What is your best childhood memory?
Being at my grandparents house for sleepovers (before my Grandma died when I was 10), and my Dad coming to a violin concert I was in at a music summer camp. I was worried he wasn't going to make it and I remember so clearly seeing him and his friend walking over the hill and how excited I was.
7. What is the best advice your parents ever gave to you?
My Dad ALWAYS taught us to "stick to your guns" and I have always lived by that. (The online dictionary says, "If you stick to your guns, you keep your position even though people attack or criticize you.")
8. What is your dream job and why?
I would love to have a running store, be a running coach for beginners, or be a race director. To make money and get to be surrounded by runners and running would be grand.

9. What is your go-to joke? (be prepared to be impressed with the corny-ness. This IS my favorite joke).
What did one volcano say to the other? 
I lava-you.

10. I love trivia - what is your favorite random fact? (Not my "favorite" in a happy way, but one I wish more people knew and cared about).
There are more than 143 million orphans in the world. That is 143 MILLION children without parents. I have been in orphanages and spent time with a precious few of these kids. I have held and rocked little ones. I have played soccer and colored. I have wiped tears and tickled and teased to get smiles. I have talked to older kids about their hopes and dreams for the future. My heart has broken time and time again. We all need to care more and do more.

11. Where is the farthest place you have ever traveled to?  Would you go back?
Ethiopia (three times, for over six weeks total). DEFINITELY. :)
Questions from Erica from http://lifeasarunningmom.blogspot.com/
  1. What is your favorite time of day to blog and catch up on blogs? After my run while I am eating my oatmeal (reading), and at night once the kids are in bed (writing).
  2. What shampoo do you prefer? I am not picky
  3. What is your favorite detergent for keeping your running clothes clean? We use ALL for all of our laundry and it does just fine.
  4. If you were given some broccoli, eggplant, and tofu - what would you make? I would give it to Josh and tell him I was hungry. :)
  5. Gatorade, nuun, Ultima, or something else? I like Hammer Perpetuem for my running and water the rest of the time. Nuun has sorbitol in it which bugs my stomach. I will drink Gatorade in a pinch.
  6. Are you a running skirt fan? Nope. I don't own one and I don't wear them. I figure I don't wear skirts in regular day to day life, so it doesn't make any sense to me to put one on to run. I have nothing against them, they just aren't my style.
  7. Tell me about your worst running moment. When I was training for my first half marathon and had to give up on a long run and walk until Josh came to rescue me because I injured my hip. It HURT. I limped really badly for quite a while and couldn't run for a week or two. Luckily it healed great and hasn't bothered me since. I think the right shoes and strength training have kept me healthy.
  8. Tell me about your best running moment. Crossing the finish line at my first marathon (Vegas). I had just seen my Dad, Pam, and Noah cheering me on, and Josh jumped in and ran with me and cheered me on all the way to the finish. I knew as I finished that first marathon that I was hooked.
  9. How many pairs of running shoes are in your closet? I have three pairs in rotation and two new pairs in boxes - all are Brooks PureFlows.
  10. What is your favorite place to buy running gear? Brooks!!
  11. Do you want to come to Maui and run in the Run and Walk for the Whales? Yes Please!!!!
 Here are my 11 questions for anyone who wants to answer them (in comments on this post, in your own blog post, in an email, whatever!) They are based off of my 11 random facts.

1. What is your maiden name (girls), nickname (now or from your youth), embarrassing middle name, or something special/unusual about your name?

2. What is your favorite animal and why?

3. Do you like being alone?

4. What is a quality about yourself that you like?

5. What is something that drives you crazy?

6. What did you want to be when you grew up when you were younger?
7. Are you a night owl or a morning person?

8. What is a personality trait about yourself that you would change if you could?

9. Favorite flavor?

10.  What is a game you are terrible at?

11. Do you belong to a running club? Do you belong to any other type of club?

12. Giants or Pats?

9 comments:

On the Right Track said...

Hey where in NY are you originally from? I live in shoreham NY...on Long Island! I am originally from Ky, so I know how it is when you are living far away from home and your family is elsewhere! sounds like you have adjusted nicely...

just wanted you to know that you are truly an inspiration to me right now...I look forward to getting back into the swing of things, and your blog is keeping me motivated along the way!

Thanks! go giants...even though I am a "die hard" Packer fan!!

lindsay said...

My name is pretty straightforward but get mispronounced and misspelled all the time. I can definitely see how yours would be a tongue twister!

I have a recent love for horses too, never ridden or really been around them but I do think they're gorgeous. I need to schedule some lessons soon - been meaning to.

6-haha. No shame! Josh wouldn't mind, would he? ;)

11-awesome! Bout time you found something to do with all your free time. Gosh, can't just sit at home all day while josh is off working hard. ;) I kid I kid.

Sounds like you should round out the crew with a 13th baby .....

Cat said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing - I decided to reply as well:
http://ifthisiscrazy.blogspot.com/2012/01/11-random-things.html

fancy nancy said...

Ummmm really Erin....THE PATS!!!
Love learning all of this about you! I wish I lived closer...I would come over! Hugs!!

On the Right Track said...

Erin...thanks so much for your sweeet comment!!!

Wow! Rocky Point...that's a hop skip and a jump from me...I live off of Woodville north of 25A! My husband and I are both teachers in Smithtown...and his mother and twin sister were teachers in Middle Country...New Lane? I think that is Selden, right? maybe you knew them:)

Would LOVE to meet you one day!

SWMom said...

1. Maiden name Minor, Married name Stepien (also polish) Step-e-in. I get called Stephanie Stepien all the time for some reason!

2. I will pick a jaguar. I would like to run fast.

3. depending on the day!

4. I am passionate about my soap boxes (including adoption advocacy).

5. BAD GRAMMAR!

6. A marine biologist, but I'm not good at math or science!

7. AM!

8. I get frustrated easily...

9. Brownie

10. Tennis, my coach told my Mom in 6th grade to spend her money elsewhere. HA!

11. I am joining GORUN Wichita.

12. I will take the Giants.

Love your blog and thanks for your running tips! I ran 5.75 miles the other day without walking!

Caroline said...

1. What is your maiden name (girls), nickname (now or from your youth), embarrassing middle name, or something special/unusual about your name? it is TABI. it is Hungarian, it brought me a lot of teasing and nicknames like Tablette.


2. What is your favorite animal and why? Golden retrievers. they are loyal.


3. Do you like being alone? yes


4. What is a quality about yourself that you like? honest


5. What is something that drives you crazy? liars


6. What did you want to be when you grew up when you were younger? a psychiatrist

7. Are you a night owl or a morning person? morning


8. What is a personality trait about yourself that you would change if you could? I worry too much


9. Favorite flavor? coffee


10. What is a game you are terrible at? anything that requires drawing


11. Do you belong to a running club? no, but I want to join yours


12. Giants or Pats? Giants

Terzah said...

Lots more reasons to like you in these lists (as if I needed any more). It DOES make me wish I'd have come up to see you last summer when I had the chance...hopefully I'll get another one. I see what you're saying about the loneliness--maybe the running club will help with that. :^)

1. What is your maiden name (girls), nickname (now or from your youth), embarrassing middle name, or something special/unusual about your name?
EWING is my maiden name. I got lots of JR and Patrick jokes back in the day. But my first name was always the real hang-up. I could always tell when a teacher had gotten to me in the roll the first day, because there would be a long pause.....


2. What is your favorite animal and why?
I love dogs, especially Greyhounds. I'd have one, but our lease says no.


3. Do you like being alone?
Yes


4. What is a quality about yourself that you like?
I'm pretty go-with-the-flow and low-maintenance.


5. What is something that drives you crazy?
Politics. Seriously. I hate discussing it. This year I plan to hide like a turtle from all the election news.


6. What did you want to be when you grew up when you were younger?
A vet or a marine biologist.

7. Are you a night owl or a morning person?
Morning all the way.


8. What is a personality trait about yourself that you would change if you could?
Flakiness. Or my tendency to second-guess. Not sure which is worse.


9. Favorite flavor?
Chocolate.


10. What is a game you are terrible at?
Any and all team sports.

11. Do you belong to a running club?
No. There are tons around here, but none of them meet at a good time for me. I'm either at work, at church ('cause a lot of them meet on Sunday a.m. for long runs) or with the kids. No group seems to want to meet at 5 a.m. on a weekday. :^)


12. Giants or Pats?
Can I say the Cardinals? Ha! No opinion! And my friends seem to be divided pretty evenly, so I'll just stay Switzerland on this one.

Jill said...

These are so great to read, love learning more about who you are :). Thanks!