Sunday, December 4, 2011

One year

One year ago today, I became a marathoner.

One year ago today, on December 5, 2010, I ran my first marathon - the Rock N Roll Las Vegas Marathon.

I had trained hard and put in all the miles that my Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 plan had called for. I had not paid much attention to pace on my runs. While I knew you were "supposed" to run your first marathon with the goal of just finishing, I really wanted to be under 4:30, and I really hoped that I might be able to even get under 4:20.

I had a total blast. Josh, my parents, and Noah were there. (Josh ran the half and then was there to see me finish!) I had not started this blog yet so I didn't know any of the bloggers and wasn't a part of any of that fun.

I was excited, slightly nervous, and cautiously optimistic and confident.

During the race I followed my plan. I didn't go out too fast. I stayed hydrated. I fueled well. I enjoyed the crowds, the other runners, and the sites. I never hit the wall. I never doubted I could finish. I never wanted to quit. I never even walked. When it got hard, I told myself, "You are doing it! You are running a marathon!" and "The marathon is tough, but you are TOUGHER." I took it one mile at a time. I remembered to smile.

I crossed that finish line (sprinting strong, with Josh beside me) with a time of 4:15:50. I was insanely happy. I was excited. I was proud. I was emotional. I was changed. I was hooked. I was a marathoner.

As we walked back to the hotel I couldn't stop smiling, and when my Dad asked if I would do another one I didn't have to think twice about saying "yes". 

I never could have imagined that being a marathoner would become such a big part of who I am, or something that I am so dedicated to, or something I am so passionate about, or something that I enjoy so much.  I definitely had no clue it would be something I would be good at!

I had no idea I would run five more marathoners in less than 11 months. I had no idea I would shave more than 47 minutes off of my time in nine months. I couldn't have dreamed that I would be able to qualify for Boston, or have the opportunity to run NYC.

It is kind of crazy that so much has happened in just one year.

I am excited to see what the next year brings.

One year ago today,  I became a marathoner.



20 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

I think this phrase kind of sums it all up...."YOU GO GIRL!" :)

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

You rock!!

Terri said...

Great post! You are an inspiration!

MotherRunner said...

Congrats on an awesome anniversary! You rock!

robinbb said...

It is such an amazing accomplishment. Way to celebrate the anniversary!

Tortoise said...

Absolutely incredible. You are an inspiration. Run on!!

giraffy said...

I love this. I LOVE your story.

MCM Mama said...

Awesome! Way to knock some serious time off of your race!

Terzah said...

I remember reading about your race on your other blog! So glad I have read all your race reports "live." You continue to inspire, and I'm proud to be in the first generation of people who never knew you other than when you were a marathoner. Even if we disagree about the Killers. :^)

LBTEPA said...

Happy birthday :)

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

I can't believe how far you have come in one year! Congrats on such an accomplishment!

Michelle said...

Isn't it amazing how a year can CHANGE YOUR LIFE! I have loved reading your blog from the start and love to follow your journey!

Caroline said...

love this post.
this makes me believe that a could be a marathoner...not as fast as you but still that I could do it also.

you are more than good at this Erin you are GREAT at this.

Cheers to you!

Chris @ Heavy Steps said...

You can came so far and will go even further! Great job, you inspire me!

Suz and Allan said...

That's awesome and what a year you have had since then!

lindsay said...

happy marathoniversary!!! you've sure 'shaved' off some time since then :)

Hoffbeauty said...

Hi, Erin! Me again...checking in as I do here and there. So, here is something that I probably have never told you. My dad was an ultramarathoner. He has run in around 95 marathons or more, many of those being 50-milers and some 24-hour runs in there, too. He didn't start running 'til he was in his 40s and just did a 5K--with his cane--at the beginning of October, at the age of almost 82. I know how passionate he was over the years (He was on the cover of Runner's World back in the late '70s or early '80s.), and it's fun to now have a friend who has the same love and passion. I grew up going to races with my dad on Saturdays...it's just how it was. :) For now, enjoy the marathons, but I'll bet that one day, you'll be doing ultramarathons!!! WAY TO GO, YOU!

Hoffbeauty said...

By the way, Hoffbeauty is SarahH. :)

Molly said...

I can't wait to see what you do in 2012 : )

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

The progress you have made is phenomenal! You had a much better Vegas experience than many did this year btw. I;m sure you've seen the reports!