Sunday, December 4, 2011

NO excuses

This morning I ran 20 miles. On the treadmill. I ran on the treadmill because outside is a frozen tundra, and with the ground/roads as icy as it is, there was no way I was going to be able to get a good (or safe) run done outside.

Today was one of those runs that was a mental challenge. For one, Noah has been sick this week. There is no such thing as "just a little sick" with Noah, because any little bit of congestion is really tough for him to handle. There has been lots of coughing, gagging, choking, throwing up, etc. (especially at night) which means there hasn't been a whole lot of sleeping. I have been trying to take it easy during the day and lay down early, but six or seven hours of uninterrupted sleep is sounding pretty dang amazing right about now. (He was a lot better yesterday and last night than he has been, so hopefully a full recovery is just around the corner).

On top of the stress and lack of sleep, Noah shared his germs with me. Yesterday my throat was a little sore and it felt tight on my 10-mile run. Then I started losing my voice.

So as I lay there in bed this morning, it would have been super, super easy to just roll over and go back to sleep. I could have justified that I was "sick", that I already had a lot of miles this week, that I needed the rest, that 20 miles on the treadmill would SUCK...

But I knew I wasn't going to blow off the run. I grabbed my Hammer gels, mixed up some Perpetuem, and set up my laptop so I could watch episodes of season eight of 24. (Nothing like a little Jack Bauer to perk up your inner "bad-a$$").

The first couple of miles were icky. My throat wasn't sore and I wasn't coughing, but it just felt hard to breathe. (I was sticking by the rule that if your "cold" is in your throat or above it is ok to run, but if it is in your lungs or you have a fever, skip it. My lungs are good and no fever.) Things got better and I kept running, and as they always do, the miles ticked away.

I had to stop at about 8 miles to use the bathroom and it was tough to get right back on the treadmill. I wasn't even half way done yet, I was tired, it was still harder than it should be to breathe, blah blah blah. But I got right back on and kept on running, and soon I only had single digit mileage left.  With seven miles to go I knew I had less than an hour and that I was going to get this run DONE.

I ran the first 10 miles at an 8:13 pace, then ran the next five miles at an 8:06 pace, then ran three miles at an 8:00 pace, then one mile at 7:47 and the last mile was at 7:30. As I sped up throughout the second half of the run I kept thinking, "Take THAT excuses." When I finally saw 20.0 under distance on my treadmill screen, I was really, REALLY happy to be done.

I told myself that this was good training for race day(s). You never know how you will feel on race day. It definitely WILL be tough (mentally and physically). Your brain will try to talk you into quitting or at least slowing down. You have the choice to keep running and keep fighting or give in.


I want to be the girl that keeps fighting when the going gets tough. No excuses. I think training runs like today will help that happen on race day.

I am also really excited because this week I hit 75 miles, which is my highest mileage week so far. And my body feels AWESOME (besides this whole throat issue). It is a pretty big confidence booster to run that kind of mileage and feel good.

So now I am resting for the rest of the day. Comfy clothes are on, feet are up, and the kids are having fun passing on messages to each other from me since I can't talk above a whisper.

And, I am excitedly "cyber stalking" all of my friends who are running Rock n Roll Las Vegas today too! Last year, RnR Vegas was my very first marathon and it was an awesome experience. I hope that the "Strip at Night" is super fun for all of the runners tonight!!!

More soon!

12 comments:

Karen the Mom said...

20 miles on the treadmill?? You deserve a special award! You are going to do so well at Disney ... And I can't wait to hear how well you did the Goofy. I have my last 20 miler this coming weekend and thankfully, here in Central Florida, I don't have to worry about snow or ice :)

Penny said...

Erin, Congrats on not making excuses to get your 20 miles in girl. You are a ROCKSTAR. I to was just not feeling it this morning. It took everything I had just to get to the gym . I didnt run like you but did get 1 hr on the elliptical along with 30 min stationary bike. That was all I could bring myself to do today. But I got there and got something done so felt very good with that. I sure hope your throat is better and prayers for a speedy healing for Noah.

runningforthree said...

I am no where close to running 20 miles anywhere let alone on a treadmill. That is awesome!

misszippy said...

Yeah, I like to think I'm hardcore, but I really think I would not make it to 20 on a treadmill! Way to stick it out and way to pile on the miles!

Terzah said...

I really hope Noah has turned the corner and that your voice returns soon, too. I have to do 22 next weekend and am hoping hoping hoping that this snow and ice go away before that. Otherwise, I'll have to keep your example in mind as I climb on a treadmill myself. Thanks for the timely inspiration!

Caroline said...

Erin this is amazing. I admire you so much. This morning I had 10 to do. I was looking for excuses to cut to 8. I did not. At miles 4 I continued and I was really proud that I did. I ended up having a pretty good 10 miles. Giving up would have ruin my day I think. You are one tough gal!

LBTEPA said...

WELL DONE!! You will ROCK Goofy! I'm sorry I won't be running but will be at Disneyworld anyway so maybe I will see you flashing past :)

Laura said...

Wow-- and an impressive pace, too! That is definitely good mental toughness preparation, both the treadmill and the lack of sleep. Way to go!

H Love said...

20 miles..I love it! I am borrowing a treadmill and it is stuck in quite the HOLE. Need to find a way to access lap top as well. Do you have a stand of shelf you use??

The mind is a powerful thing...awesome job!!

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Awesome job getting your run in. I hope you and Noah feel better soon. Poor little guy....

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

Wow! 20 miles is always impressive to me, but 20 miles on a treadmill is like super impressive. I love your determination! Hope you and Noah feel better soon!!

Mark Matthews said...

Didn't it feel crazy stepping off the treadmill? It's like getting off a boat, it takes a bit to get your street legs. And I find that once you get started running on a treadmill, you can kind of get into a strange coma zone. You have a treadmill seizure where your mind goes blank and you start to drool and froth at the mouth, and the next thing you know, it's mile 17, the dvd you were watching is now over and you're watching the 'extras', and it's just a few more miles to your 20.