Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goofy Goals

Resolutions. Goals. Plans. Changes. Projects. Reforms. Dreams. Aspirations.

Whatever you call them...
whether you chose to set them for New Year's or not...
whether you actually achieve them or not...

I am a big believer in having them. I think we should all have a list of resolutions, goals, aspirations, and dreams.

I am a firm believer that big things are achieved when people try. It is not very often that someone achieves something awesome on accident. Playing it safe rarely has inspiring results. It's when we aim high, dream big,  "shoot for the moon", step out in faith, and put ourselves out there, that amazing things can happen.

Sometimes we achieve what we set out to. Sometimes we don't. (And sometimes we learn more from the goals we don't achieve than the ones we do).  Sometimes life changes our plans, our priorities, and our goals. Sometimes we achieve even more than what we set out to...more than we ever dared to dream. 

So yup... I believe in New Year's resolutions. I like to set goals and have plans. I have big dreams and aspirations. And even if I don't achieve them all, I will enjoy the journey, learn, grow, and be better for it.

So lets talk about my (running) goals. I've got them. In the past, I would have been afraid of putting them "out there". But here goes. :)

For 2012 -
- stay healthy/injury free by keeping up core, strength, and flexibility training and listening to my body
- get our local running club officially started and help others get in shape and enjoy running
- safely increase my mileage
- race and PR at multiple distances (with my focus still being the marathon)
- do a good job representing Brooks so I can maintain my sponsorship next year
- shoot for a sub 3:00 marathon. This very well may not happen in 2012, but as of right now it's my "shoot for the moon" running goal and what I am ultimately working towards.

And now for Goofy next weekend!!
On Thursday I will be on my way to sunny Florida to run the Goofy Challenge! I remember when I signed up for the Goofy Challenge for my birthday back in March and it seemed SO far away. Now it is just days away!!

I have never raced two days back to back. I have never run 39.3 miles in one weekend. So there is definitely an element of the unknown. But, I have run A LOT lately. I ran 287 miles in December. I have run lots of 70+ mile weeks in the last few months, including back to back long runs. I have kicked butt on my speed work, tempo runs, and pace runs. I have stayed healthy and taken great care of myself. I have tapered just as my plan calls for. I think I am as ready as I can be, and I am going to give it my all.

My goals are -
- Run a sub 1:37 for the half marathon. A sub 1:37 will get me an automatic qualifying entry into the NYC marathon. Josh and I want to run it together this year, and if I can qualify, then he can run for Team MEB and we only have to fundraise for one of us. I ran a 1:38:18 half back in July, and am a lot faster now, so a sub 1:37 shouldn't be too hard. I want to run a competitive race, but not an "all-out" effort since I am going to race again the next day.

- PR in the marathon. I REALLY want a sub 3:20 in the marathon. (A sub 3:23 would also get me a qualified entry into the NYC Marathon).  But, since I am racing the day before I just don't know if my sub 3:20 will happen in Disney or not. I have been training at the marathon pace of 7:30, which would give me a finish time of 3:16:30 (not counting pit stops). I had a long run where I did 14 of my 18 miles at that pace and felt strong.  So that is what I am aiming for. If it's not my day or I don't have it in me after running the half the day before, then I will just run the best I can and get my sub 3:20 in Boston in April.

I do plan on doing NOTHING in between the half and the full marathon but recover, refuel, and rest like it is my job. I am going to do everything I can to put myself in the best position possible to run well two days in a row. AND, I am going to have a blast no matter what. I am so grateful to have this opportunity and that Josh is giving me the gift of this experience.

Hopefully I will feel like this...
and not like this...
Happy New Year everybody!

22 comments:

Jen said...

I hope you have amazing races!

Happy new years!

abbi said...

Happy New Year! I'm a big believer in goals and dreams as well. Yours for running look awesome, have a wonderful 2012.

Zaneta said...

Happy new year!! :) Your goals are fantastic! :)

Michelle said...

I know you are going to give it your all and THAT is incredible! Have a blast! Love your goals. Can't wait to hear all about it.

june said...

Good luck !! I look forward to hearing about how amazing it was. :)

robinbb said...

Wow, you are amazing fast. I can't wait to see how you do this weekend. See you this weekend, Florida here we come!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy new year!! You have got this goofy!! Carol- WV

MCM Mama said...

Great goals! Remember to have fun at Goofy too.

Happy New Year!

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Happy New Year and I can't wait to hear how you do at the challenge. I am sure you are going to make one, if not both, of your goals.

Jill said...

Can't wait to hear how you do. You are going to do awesome, I know it. Thank you so much for letting me come visit yesterday. It was great, and yes, I have now been seriously contemplating running a marathon this year.

Running for the Kitchen said...

i am so excited for you and hope you achieve your goals! i cant wait to read about your races

Terzah said...

I love those Goofy pics! One more week! I can't wait to read all about it (and about your 2012, too).

Yolanda said...

Love setting goals and living out dreams. May you be blessed in 2012. Yolanda

Jessica Washburn said...

Good luck in your upcoming year. Thanks again for guest posting today...could you do a quick post directing your readers to it. Thanks so much. Loved it. :)

Laura said...

You've certainly put in the hard work... I'm excited to see what goofy (and 2012) hold for you! Sub 3hr is an awesome shoot-for-the moon goal!!

Elle said...

Have a wonderful GOOFY experience. I do hope you meet your goal of qualifying so you and Josh can run NY together. Keeping my fingers crossed for you... but you are gonna do so well you won't need it!

:)

SWMom said...

Happy New Year! You're super fast! I know you'll do great!!! My running goal is to drop my times, run more consistent splits and to add weight training. Best of Luck!

Mark Matthews said...

I am also a big believer in using Jan 1 to recharge goals and get a better vision. I ran 14 miles and registered for the ann arbor marathon on January 1. (and no way will the rest of the year be as productive.) But I do hope to have another novel released, also run New York marathon for charity, and read more than a novel a month. Not to mention getting our house ready to sell, and flossing my teeth a bit more.

So, how the heck will you PR for a marathon the day after a half, if I understand the whole enchilda correctly. You are made of some wicked awesome Genes, and have some Swagger. Just doing the goofy is an accomplisment. 14 of 18 miles at marathon pace is huge, I think. I'm a big believer in throwing in those marathon pace runs into long runs, and going longer than 20 in your training.

But then again, my best thinking and my best training got me here - about a mile or more behind you.

Penny said...

Good Luck at GOOFY. Your going to do awesome at both the half and full marathon.

Julia said...

ahhhhhhhh!!! friend! i am so excited for you! it sounds like you have been running so strong! sending you positive thoughts and cheers as you tackle goofy! woo hoo!

Amanda@runninghood said...

oh how I want that sub 3:20 too!! Happy New year!! How exciting about Runner's world! :) And Brooks. Have you thought about a uniform you want yet?

London gifts said...

Really very nice article. As well as helpful to gain knowledge about the tax accountants. Thanks to update us. Thanks for sharing us.