Saturday, November 5, 2011

NY so far!

Wow. So far New York has been amazing. Overwhelmingly amazing. As I sit here and think about writing it all down, I am realizing just how amazing it all has been.

- We landed safely (even EARLY) at JFK on Thursday night, and were picked up by my parents. Yay!!! It is always such a treat to get to see them and it is hard to live so far away.

- We got up in the morning and Pam had to go to work. My Dad took Josh and I to breakfast and then after running a few errands we were on our way in to the city to go to the ING NYC Marathon expo. We got to the expo just before 1pm and there were lots of people but no lines and everything was very well organized. I got my bib, goodie bag and shirt, and then we walked around and saw everything there was to see at the expo. It's a HUGE expo and was really fun. I told my Dad it is like "runner Disneyland". It was nice to be there when it wasn't the day before race day because I didn't have to worry about being on my feet and doing lots of walking.

- We met Ryan Hall and got pics, watched the cool NYC Marathon movie, collected lots of samples and handouts and had a great time. 
Hands down, the highlight of the expo for me was meeting Bart Yasso. I have read a ton of books. I know the stories of many runners. I admire and am inspired by lots of athletes. But for some reason, Bart Yasso is my favorite of them all and is my running hero. Maybe it's because he didn't run in school and came to it later in life like I did, maybe it's because he comes across so humble and personable. Maybe it's because he has overcome so much and accomplished and experienced so very much. Whatever the reason, I love Bart. And meeting him just reinforced that. He knew who I was instantly, even though he meets countless runners and fans, and he spent a good 10 minutes talking with me. On top of that, he gave me the best compliment of my whole life when he said that I had a runner's body and looked like I was built to run fast. Maybe he says that to all the girls, but he sounded genuine, and I am going to believe it. :) For this girl, who three years ago weighed over 205lbs and couldn't run half a block, to have Bart Yasso telling me that I had a runner's body was a super awesome moment.

- My Dad bought me an awesome NYC Marathon black fleece hoodie. He has been buying me hoodies my whole life because they are my favorite and he is the best Dad. This will be a favorite favorite hoodie.

- We got back out to Long Island to my parents' house and had  a fun night of take out and visiting with family and friends. Pam brought home a huge platter of sushi and they got a plate of take out spaghetti and the best roll I have ever had from a local Italian place just for me. Oh, and I beat everyone at Scrabble. Oh yeah I did.

- This morning we got up and Josh and I went on a quick three mile run together, and then we got cleaned up, dressed up, and packed up and headed back into the city. Pam had a church function she had to go to so again it was just my Dad, Josh and I. We checked into our hotel and then went to the NY Athletic Club for the Team MEB luncheon. It was a very nice, small event. Meb's wife, parents, brother and one of his daughter's were all there, as well as all of the runners. It was great fun to meet and chat with everyone. Harrie Bakst, from Carnegie Sports and Entertainment (whose story is told in the "A Race Like No Other" book if you have read it) was there as his firm represents Team MEB and he was great to visit with. Josh really enjoyed talking with Harrie. We watched a short movie, listened to Meb speak, had a nice lunch, and then visited and took pics. Meb had his Olympic Silver Medal as well as his medal from winning the NYC Marathon in 2009 and they were both BEAUTIFUL. We all got to wear them which was very cool.

Meb is a wonderful guy and I was so impressed with him, his family and his foundation. You can still make a donation to my Team MEB fundraising for the NYC Marathon tomorrow and help kids in need have access to health, education and fitness. Click here to donate. :)

- Originally we were going to go from the luncheon to the expo to meet Molly and Amanda, however I was getting tired and Josh and my Dad made the decision that the smart thing to do would be to avoid the expo and go back to our hotel room for me to rest and relax. I was bummed about not getting to see the girls, but Amanda has stayed at our hotel the night before and came over to visit me. Yay! It was really nice to see her again (and it's her birthday today!)

- Pam got here and now we are getting ready to go to dinner at a fabulous Italian restaurant Pam has arranged, and then it will be back to the hotel to rest and relax for race day!! I CAN NOT WAIT!!!

Pictures!
YAY! My NYC Bib!

Ryan Hall!
Yup, I love Bart.
Chatting with Bart
Mmmmmm pretzel
With Meb Keflezighi (I am wearing his NYC Marathon winner's medal)
It's blurry, but Josh, Meb and I
In our hotel room
More soon!!!

17 comments:

June said...

Good luck Erin!! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
(And that first pic is super cute!!)

LBTEPA said...

HOW EXCITING! Have a wonderful day tomorrow :)

Lisa@The Daily RUNdown said...

Your excitement comes through in your post! I'm so happy for you. Best of luck tomorrow!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Reading your post is like being there! Run fast tomorrow!

Andrea H. said...

First off, you look amazing and beautiful in your first picture. I think your hair has gotten shorter:) I am so glad you are meeting all your favorite people and making a name for yourself. Isn't it something that he knew you you were? wow. I have to agree you defenitly have a runner's body. Also love your hotel room and am so happy for you and Josh to have this time to yourself. Love you tons and kill em tomorrow!!!

Michelle said...

Can you believe you're there? You're THERE! Have a great time. Keep those pics coming!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

yay!!! The pics are great! I think you are as tall as the wing span on Ryan Hall! lol.
Love your pic of you wearing Meb's medal! awesome!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

oh yeah you are going to rock it tomorrow!

JC said...

You take a great picture, woman! good luck tomorrow. ;) have a blast!!!

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

Good luck tomorrow! It sounds like a great trip and I can't wait to hear how you do tomorrow. Fast thought coming your way!

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

girl, you are living a DREAM!!!! i could not be happier for you and am so excited for your race tomorrow!! thanks for sharing your journey here!! you deserve every bit of this JOY and i am so thrilled for you!!! race your heart out tomorrow!! xxxooo

bobbi said...

I will be thinking about you tomorrow! HAVE FUN!

Elle said...

You look so beautiful and so happy.

I wish you an amazing race!

emlizalmo said...

GO ERIN!!!!!

misszippy said...

It was so much fun to see you again and meet your family! (Hi Pam--you are such a glowing, supportive mama!).

Can't wait to see what you do today! Soak in every moment!

SWMom said...

Checking in on your run - at mile 19 you are cooking!!! 2:33 with an 8:04 pace! Woa! So excited for you today! CONGRATS!

Jen said...

Awesome run, Erin!!! 3:32 is KILLER!!! When I finally run my first full marathon, I will be THRILLED with a 5:32 - two whole extra hours! You rock!