Wednesday, November 9, 2011

More NY recap and pics

We got home at 3:15am yesterday morning after many hours of travel. I got a whopping 2 1/2 hours of sleep and then was up with the kids at 6am. It was great to see them and to be home but I felt like a zombie most of the day yesterday. I got a great night's sleep last night though and had a nice, easy six mile run this morning and I am feeling more and more like myself. :)

Here is the rest of the recap of our NY trip and pictures! If you missed the first part of our trip (expo, Team MEB lunch and other adventures in NY) you can find it here, and if you missed the race recap you can find that post here.

Ok, so after finding Josh, my parents, my brother Mark and his girlfriend Mel, and my friends Kelly and Chris, we walked back to our hotel. It took two hours from the time I crossed the finish line until we got back to the hotel (and most of that was spent walking). When we got back to the room, Josh and my Dad went and got what I wanted most to eat... a huge cheese pizza and a real Dr. Pepper!  I almost never drink soda now, and I had been avoiding dairy for months since it upsets my stomach but I was not going to miss out on NY pizza. I forgot how huge the slices were, and one slice and one garlic knot was all I needed to be FULL, but it was delicious.

I rested some, talked with everyone about the race and about their morning spectating (they were the BEST support team!) and then I got showered and we all left to go to the Rangers game. My family and I are huge NY Rangers fans and I can't even tell you how many hockey games we went to at Madison Square Garden when I was a teen. I hadn't been to a game in a LONG time, and it was tons of fun. And yes, I wore my medal!!

After the game I had to say good-bye to my parents and Mark and Mel which is always hard. They were heading back out to Long Island and Josh and I were staying another night in the city. We got back to our room and SLEPT.

On "Marathon Monday" Josh and I got up and decided to head to Central Park to get my medal engraved and then to see what else was there. I felt good enough to go for a short run, so we put on running clothes and ran to Central Park. It was only 1.7 miles from our hotel to the finish line area (since we didn't have to go the long way and all the roads were open). We waited in line for about half an hour and had my name and time engraved on my medal (very cool!) and then walked through the store they had set up. There was a hoodie I really wanted but they only had large and x-large sizes left even though it was still quite early. I was bummed, but when we got home I got online and ordered a small. Yay!

They still had the finish line set up, so I took a picture under the finish line. It was really cool to run that final stretch of the marathon into the finish line area with Josh. He said he had a whole new appreciation for how hilly it was after running it!

We ran back towards the hotel and picked up some fruit and bagels. We had breakfast, showered, checked out of our hotel room and went and met a friend for lunch. K. was my best friend all through elementary school and junior high and I hadn't seen her in years and years. She lives and works in NYC and it was really great to see her and catch up with her.

From there we had a few hours until we had to leave for the airport, so we did some walking! We walked past the NYC Library where I had gotten on the marathon bus on Sunday morning, and then walked around Bryant Park and watched the ice skaters and looked in the little shops. I had the best cookie I have ever had at Max Brenner's little shop. The OMG Chocolate Chip Cookie lived up to it's name, and Josh about cried over the thick Italian hot chocolate. :)

We walked up 5th Avenue and looked at all the shops getting ready for Christmas, and couldn't pass up going into FAO Schwarz. Yes, we ended up in a toy store even when we were kid free. We played and looked at toys and posed with some awesome giant Lego statues.

Before we knew it, it was time to walk back to the hotel and get our bags and get on the subway to head to JFK airport. We made it uneventfully, and soon were sitting in our plane, which was  a DINOSAUR. Seriously, everything was broken on this plane, and there were ASHTRAYS.  How long has it been since people were allowed to SMOKE on an airplane?? Yeah... this plane was old. But luckily we made it home safe and sound. We landed just before midnight and then poor Josh had to drive the three hours home. It was a LONG day, but it was well worth it.

The entire trip was amazing. Having Josh all to myself for so much time was truly a treasure and a blessing. This was the first time we have gone anywhere alone for more than a few hours in years and years and years. As we walked around NY and I looked at how very, very many people there are, I was awed and grateful that we found each other 16 years ago.  He is my best friend and my true love and this trip with him was perfect (and much needed).

It was also such a blessing to have time with my parents (although it always seems too short), and to get to see Mark, Mel, Kelly, Chris, Amanda, Kathleen, Janet, Don and others. Meeting Barty Yasso and Meb, and having lunch at the NYC Athletic Club were very special experiences too.

There were quite a few people I had wanted to see while in NY that I didn't get to (next time T!!), including my friend Tal who was in the crowds along the course just to see me and even made a sign. I felt so bad I didn't see her!!

I have had a few people ask me if I am disappointed with my race time in NY. I am not. Of course I would have loved to set a new PR and my goal is to run a marathon in under 3:20, but I have no regrets with how I ran in NY. I truly gave it my all even though it was tough, and I know I did the best I could on that day in those conditions. And it's hard to be disappointed with a finish that puts you in the top 5% of women in a race that big. Nope, I am not disappointed. It was an awesome race, an incredible experience and a wonderful trip. I am so grateful for all of it. And would I run NY again? In a heartbeat. I would love to stay involved with Team MEB and run for them again.

I am especially grateful for Josh's mom and sister, who came and watched the kids so Josh and I could go. We came home to happy kids, a clean house, and a Gramma who may have been completely exhausted and slightly stressed out, but was still smiling.

Pictures!
Race morning! almost ready to go.

Buses lined up in front of the NY Library. They went on forever!
Pam ready to cheer!
Pizza!!!
Josh and I at the Ranger game
My cute parents!

Mark (my brother), Mel (his girlfriend), me and Josh. My brother bought me a Rangers shirt to wear. :)
At the finish line on Monday morning
My friend Kathleen and I. Our friendship started in first grade!
Josh and I in Bryant Park in NYC. I love this pic of us!
Jack Sparrow made out of Legos. So cool!
Josh and Indiana Jones out of Legos



If you want to see all of my professional race pics (there are lots!) you can click on this link here. There are a couple that are really good and I really like, although they are so expensive I doubt I will order any.  It is fun to look at them though. I think that sums it all up.

More soon!

11 comments:

Jill Will Run said...

Congratulations on yet another inspirational marathon performance! You are phenomenal! I love the pictures too, especially the one of you and Josh that you really liked too, that is a super nice photo!

Meredith said...

I love it!!! What a great trip, what a great race, what a blessing!!! Congratulations, again!!

Andrea H. said...

You just look amazing. Those legs look way better than runners' legs. You got some serious muscle in there. I LOVE LOVE picture #ending in 031.

Suz and Allan said...

I've really enjoyed all the recap posts but this may be my favorite. I feel like everyone talks about the experience of the race itself and leaves out the after where a lot of fun stuff happens. Glad you guys got to meet up with friends and family and have some alone time!

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

What a great trip! I try not to drink soda anymore either but if I have one it is a Dr. Pepper!!

Meaghan said...

Love it - awesome weekend, awesome race, awesome pictures - you can't ask for more than that! Yay!

Natalie R. said...

Sam and I took a trip to NYC last year before Christmas. It was wonderful. We ended up at the NYC Public Library and (loved the free NYC Library tour) met Rebecca Weidler for lunch at Max Brenner's(but didn't have the Choc Chip cookie), FAO Swartz and posed with our life-sized Lego friends, Santa Claus and Chewbacca. We loved it! I am so glad you had that time together. It is so important! Love the picture of you and Josh too. If you do NYC marathon again...Sam and I will have to come watch, too!

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Awesome and I love the picture you changed on your blog sidebar. I noticed it right away and your hair is so darn cute!

Penny said...

Erin, Loved your recap. I love seeing that smile in your race pictures. You are always smiling no matter way. Keep on smiling girl. Congrats on a great marathon.

Molly said...

We must have been at Marathon Monday at the same time! I was there before nine, getting my medal engraved. I couldn't believe how everything was picked over, but managed to get a finisher jacket as an early birthday present to myself. Congrats again, you look great!

Jill said...

Congratulations on another fantastic marathon - that is great!!! That is one mean course and you just keep it up and persevered! Nice work! :)