Monday, October 3, 2011

Looking back, looking forward

Happy Monday and Happy October!

September was a big month for me. Looking back-

- I got 11 kids "back to school". Whew. (School supplies, shoes, hair, backpacks, school clothes, schedules, registration fees, piles of paperwork, back to school nights, instruments, sports, buses... it's a lot to figure out).

- I ran two marathons! I set a PR (by 25 minutes!) and qualified for Boston (by over 12 minutes) on Sept. 3 with a time of 3:32:26  in the Pocatello Marathon.

- I applied to and got into the Boston Marathon for 2012!!!

- Without much recovery or taper, I ran the Top of Utah Marathon on Sept. 17 and set a new PR of 3:28:15.

- With no injuries, pains, etc. (knock on wood!!) I have kept on running, and tallied up 226 miles in the month of September. I am very excitedly looking forward to the NYC Marathon on Nov. 6. Just 34 days away now!!

- We had incredible weather! September is often blustery, wet and cold here, and it has been sunny and beautiful for the entire month. We've had highs in the 70's and lows in the upper 30's. It's been perfect running weather and the best kind of fall weather. I am enjoying every  minute because I know it is not going to last long.

- We had a few new opportunities pop up. One of the opportunities is a business opportunity here locally. With 12 kids (one of which is going to college in less than two years and one of which has significant special needs) we aren't really in a position to take much (any?) financial risk, so we are trying still to determine if this is a good move for us or not. The second opportunity is just a remote possibility at this point on a lot of levels, but I was contacted by a producer that we know (and trust) about the idea of a "marathon mom" show... with the concept at this point loosely being my running and being the mom of a big family... hopefully showing that anyone can find the time to get in shape and change their lives, and at the same time advocating for adoption and special needs kids (and hopefully showing that not all big families are nuts). Again, at this point it is just the beginnings of an idea and who knows if anything will come of it. Our family (marriage and children) is our number one priority always and in all things, and it would have to be just the right concept, producer, channel, idea, situation, etc. for Josh and I to consider something like this seriously (and even if we did, who knows if it would move forward). So don't go getting all excited or anything. :)

- I did get contacted by Runner's World again, and along with the "What it Takes" column that I believe I will be in in the January 2012 edition, it sounds like there will be a bigger story for the May 2012 (Mother's day) edition. Pretty cool and humbling!

- I got some NEW SHOES!!! I have been a loyal Brooks fan since I have started running (I have tried other shoes and have never liked anything as much) and have been anxiously awaiting their new PureProject shoes to come out. I got my Brooks PureFlow and PureCadence shoes last week and am in LOVE with the PureFlow. I have a full review coming later today, but let me just say that I have done a 10 mile marathon pace run, three 6 mile easy runs and a 20 miler in my PureFlow's, and I don't know that I'll ever wear another running shoe again.

So yup, September was a great month. October has started off super well too! I had a 20 miler on the schedule yesterday and it was a really nice run. The weather was perfect, my body felt great, I loved my new shoes... honestly it all felt almost too easy for a 20 mile run. Along with trying out my new shoes, I tried something else new on this long run. I don't usually run with music, Josh's ITB is bugging him, and I don't have any friends who are running with me right now, so on a whim I decided to try running with an audio book on my IPOD. I got "Lethal" by Sandra Brown and I am thoroughly enjoying it!

After my long run I did the usual roll, stretch, ice bath, hot shower, oatmeal routine, then enjoyed watching our church conference with Josh and the kids and then we enjoyed a really nice Sunday home together. It was a great weekend!!

Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend and stay tuned for my review of my Brooks PureProject PureFlow shoes. :)

16 comments:

Meaghan said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh, so jealous!! I want a pair of the PureFlow's so badly, but Im forcing myself to wait until AFTER my marathon this weekend. I wouldn't be able to leave them in the box, and I don't want to risk anything silly on Sunday.

Congrats on all of your recent PR's AND the upcoming write-ups in Runners World - how great is THAT?!?!

Anxiously awaiting your review!

Lacey Sue said...

Okay, seriously, your my hero. I feel completely overwhelmed with my small plate of things. Three kids is almost all I can handle right now, and I rarely seem to be able to find the time (or a sitter) so I can run. You inspire me, your positive attitude, your faith and devotion keep me hoping and believing that even I can achieve things too! Keep truckin' hun, your amazing! And I look up to you greatly!

misszippy said...

Ok, I think I said you were on a roll a while back, but let me say now--you are on a ROLL! Wowza. I get to say I met you when...

Terzah said...

I was super excited to see the NYC spread in RW thinking about what a ball you're going to have there next month.

You make me want to try out some Brooks shoes already, and you haven't even written the review yet. I need new ones and am probably going to pony up for some Newtons but I need new "regular" ones too--so we'll see!

I watch no TV (except baseball), but if the show does come to fruition I'll be one of your biggest viewers. Congrats on a great month! Glad I was there (behind you!) for the PR part of it.

Penny said...

Congrats on getting in to Boston. Cant wait to hear about the Pureflow shoes. Sounds like you have a lot going on in your life right now. Follow your heart in what ever you do.

Amanda@runninghood said...

Okay, it has been awhile since I've been consistent in the blog world...man, you've been on a roll for sure!> I am in awe of you girl! You are my new running mom hero! Seriously! Amazing you! Runner's world?! Do tell more! Or maybe I should go back and get caught up on here...yes, that is a must! Please forgive me for my poor commenting and reading. I can barely keep up with 3 kids. I don't know how in the world you do it with 12 AND still make travel to New York and Boston and all the other places a reality. How do you do it? I guess this is why you're being contacted by Runner's World and television producers...I'm not the only one who wants to know how you do it! :) So excited to meet you in Boston!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Oh and I can't wait to read about your shoes! I love my Brooks!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I would love for you to have a show! I just wanted to tell you that I ran the Freedom's Run this weekend! My first! It was great! Cold-48 and rain, but I loved it! It will not be my last. Thank you for your blog!Carol

Suz and Allan said...

Super jealous about your new shoes! I'm very impressed with your mileage for September-that is amazing and something to be so proud of!

Suz and Allan said...

Did you ever get my email?

Samantha said...

Reading your blog always brings a smile to my face!

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

Shows, Runner's World! Man, I should ask for an autographed picture now! That is really exciting news and 11 kids back in school has got to be the most exciting thing that happened in September (I'm just guessing, but I know how I felt when my 2 went back, so I can only imagine 11!!).

lindsay said...

WOW! girlfriend, you deserve it :) i would love to see you on tv and be able to say "i know her! she's my friend!" (FYI, we're BFF's, i expect a shoutout! lol) and how exciting to be in RW too!!! you guys deserve all these blessings and more!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Lots of exciting things going on with you! I know you'll make the right choices when it comes to everything! Runner's World, super exciting. And trust me, it never gets old to have people say, "Oh, you're that girl from Runner's World."

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Superstar!!! But so deserving.

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

sounds exciting!!!