Happy Monday and Happy October!
September was a big month for me. Looking back-
- I got 11 kids "back to school". Whew. (School supplies, shoes, hair, backpacks, school clothes, schedules, registration fees, piles of paperwork, back to school nights, instruments, sports, buses... it's a lot to figure out).
- I ran two marathons! I set a PR (by 25 minutes!) and qualified for Boston (by over 12 minutes) on Sept. 3 with a time of 3:32:26 in the Pocatello Marathon.
- I applied to and got into the Boston Marathon for 2012!!!
- Without much recovery or taper, I ran the Top of Utah Marathon on Sept. 17 and set a new PR of 3:28:15.
- With no injuries, pains, etc. (knock on wood!!) I have kept on running, and tallied up 226 miles in the month of September. I am very excitedly looking forward to the NYC Marathon on Nov. 6. Just 34 days away now!!
- We had incredible weather! September is often blustery, wet and cold here, and it has been sunny and beautiful for the entire month. We've had highs in the 70's and lows in the upper 30's. It's been perfect running weather and the best kind of fall weather. I am enjoying every minute because I know it is not going to last long.
- We had a few new opportunities pop up. One of the opportunities is a business opportunity here locally. With 12 kids (one of which is going to college in less than two years and one of which has significant special needs) we aren't really in a position to take much (any?) financial risk, so we are trying still to determine if this is a good move for us or not. The second opportunity is just a remote possibility at this point on a lot of levels, but I was contacted by a producer that we know (and trust) about the idea of a "marathon mom" show... with the concept at this point loosely being my running and being the mom of a big family... hopefully showing that anyone can find the time to get in shape and change their lives, and at the same time advocating for adoption and special needs kids (and hopefully showing that not all big families are nuts). Again, at this point it is just the beginnings of an idea and who knows if anything will come of it. Our family (marriage and children) is our number one priority always and in all things, and it would have to be just the right concept, producer, channel, idea, situation, etc. for Josh and I to consider something like this seriously (and even if we did, who knows if it would move forward). So don't go getting all excited or anything. :)
- I did get contacted by Runner's World again, and along with the "What it Takes" column that I believe I will be in in the January 2012 edition, it sounds like there will be a bigger story for the May 2012 (Mother's day) edition. Pretty cool and humbling!
- I got some NEW SHOES!!! I have been a loyal Brooks fan since I have started running (I have tried other shoes and have never liked anything as much) and have been anxiously awaiting their new PureProject shoes to come out. I got my Brooks PureFlow and PureCadence shoes last week and am in LOVE with the PureFlow. I have a full review coming later today, but let me just say that I have done a 10 mile marathon pace run, three 6 mile easy runs and a 20 miler in my PureFlow's, and I don't know that I'll ever wear another running shoe again.
So yup, September was a great month. October has started off super well too! I had a 20 miler on the schedule yesterday and it was a really nice run. The weather was perfect, my body felt great, I loved my new shoes... honestly it all felt almost too easy for a 20 mile run. Along with trying out my new shoes, I tried something else new on this long run. I don't usually run with music, Josh's ITB is bugging him, and I don't have any friends who are running with me right now, so on a whim I decided to try running with an audio book on my IPOD. I got "Lethal" by Sandra Brown and I am thoroughly enjoying it!
After my long run I did the usual roll, stretch, ice bath, hot shower, oatmeal routine, then enjoyed watching our church conference with Josh and the kids and then we enjoyed a really nice Sunday home together. It was a great weekend!!
Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend and stay tuned for my review of my Brooks PureProject PureFlow shoes. :)