Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Life

Whew.  Crazy couple of days. Today kicked me in the butt for awhile! There wasn't anything terrible or really worth complaining about, just a lot of little stresses. I've had lots of work and work stress. My P.O.S. laptop died. (I am back to being a Mac and will never, ever be a PC again. Ever). We have construction going on outside, with our old deck coming down and a new deck with a wheelchair ramp for Noah going up.  (That will be SO nice to have when it is all done). The construction guys accidentally ripped out the wires that provided our phone and internet service while they were ripping out the old deck, so we had phone fix-it guys here too, and a $300 bill we'll have to fight over with construction guys. Life is never boring! Josh and the kids luckily are great (busy, but great). The greatest.

The kids have lots going on this week....football games, orchestra trip, choir trip, appointments, AND a birthday on Thursday and then another on Monday. Everyone is getting super excited for Halloween too of course, and we are hoping to get out of town and take the family to a corn maze, pumpkin farm, haunted house place. I do so love the fall!

This morning's speed work was 12x400m repeats (eight miles total with warm up and cool down). I did the 400m repeats at an average 6:09 pace and felt good, especially considering that I ran 23 miles on Sunday. 400s are just short bursts of speed, but 12 (mentally!) is a lot of repeats. But I enjoy speedwork and love the feeling of finishing a tough speed workout. With the way that the rest of the day went today, I am so glad I got this done early this morning!

Since I added in regular speedwork to my weekly workouts I have seen steady improvements in my overall speed and paces, so these workouts, although tough, are important to me. I do a speed/interval workout once a week (Tuesdays) and a tempo run or marathon pace run once a week (Thursdays). I do think these workouts, along with my overall increased mileage (gradually up from 25 miles a week to 65 miles a week) have been the keys to my getting faster (and hopefully will continue to help me to do so). :)

And when you start out the day conquering a tough workout, you are ready to take on whatever else life throws out you.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

How do you decide your speedworkouts? I did them on Tuesdays during my training for Eugene and really could tell a difference. But, I need a "plan". Care to share?

Andrea H. said...

Yes, you are simply incredible. Hope things get back to normal soon on the other parts of life.

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

I agree that speed work helps you get faster. I have gone from really slow to just plain slow...but it is still improvement!!! Glad that you are getting a deck with a ramp. I don't think people ever think about how unhandicap accessible houses are unless they've lived with someone in a wheelchair. Even the slight step into the house becomes a giant obstacle. Things like ramps make a world of difference!

fancy nancy said...

Sorry you had such a stressful day! When it rains it pours it seems!

Kudos to you for doing such an awesome speed workout! I agree...I have added speed workouts to my training and have seen great results. I have also seen my pace fall when they are not a regular part of my week. I hope today is great!

Julie said...

"And when you start out the day conquering a tough workout, you are ready to take on whatever else life throws out you."

I'm stealing this Supermom quote :-)

lindsay said...

I hope the construction guys aren't too difficult - they Should def be liable for that bill!

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Sorry for the stresses but you seem to have the right attitude.

Love the info on your speed workouts. I am incorporating a lot of them (ok, more than ever but not too much) into my upcoming training. I know it will be tough but knowing it helped you may help me get over that mental "woah" moments!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Just stopping in to say that I'm reading here and there..not the best blog reader these days and...just not so good with commenting these days. Your workouts sound right on! What plan are you using or are you making your own? Excited for you to do New York!

Suz and Allan said...

Sorry to hear about your stressful day! I hope the rest of the week has been much better!