Friday, October 14, 2011

Doctor Doctor

How the heck is it Friday already? Sheesh! This week has flown by. Crazy.

(This next part is not running related at all, but is part of my life). Yesterday we had to make a semi-emergency run to the children's hospital in Utah (seven hours in the car. BLECK). Noah is fed by a GJ tube. It is a surgically implanted tube that goes right into his belly and then a feeding pump gives him a small amount of special formula through the GJ tube for 20 hours a day. The food goes directly into his intestines, because when he is fed into his stomach he throws up and aspirates (gets it into his lungs). He also can't swallow without choking, so he doesn't take anything by mouth. The GJ tube has worked miracles for Noah. It has allowed him to get the nutrition he needs to grow and develop without choking and getting pnuemonias and he is THRIVING and making huge progress in all areas (other than eating).

Here is what it looks like when he is all hooked up. I change the gauze, tape, and tubing at least once every 24 hours. The tubing runs down his leg, is secured around his ankle, and goes into the feeding pump which is in a small, portable backpack that he drags around.

The downside is that the GJ tube can ONLY be put in or changed or "fixed" by an interventional radiologist at the children's hospital, which is 3+ hours away. So if the tube gets pulled out or gets worn out and leaky or stops working for whatever reason, we have to go right to the hospital because we can't feed Noah without the tube. We usually get 3-5 months in between changes and I try to schedule them before we are in an emergency situation. The tube he had in was getting more and more leaky and less trustworthy by the minute, and with our trip to NY less than three weeks away now I knew we had to get this tube changed soon. They were able to fit us in yesterday so we got it done.

The bad - 7 hours in the car. A lot of waiting around the hospital. One icky procedure for Noah. No run for me.

The good - Josh came (and did all the driving) and we had lots of time together. We did the tube change without anesthesia (actual procedure only took about 15 minutes, no needles) and Noah did AWESOME. We got to eat at Cafe Rio. I am stil full. :)

Here is a happier Noah picture!

Earlier in the week I had my annual check up. So not fun. But, all my labwork looked great and the only things "abnormal" were that my blood pressure and body fat were lower than normal. I'll take it!

This morning I ran a 10 miler with a one mile warm up, eight miles at marathon goal pace and one mile cool down. It was a GREAT run. I was able to maintain my pace even on a hilly route and I felt really good. I have an easy paced eight miler tomorrow and then a 23 miler on Sunday and then it is TAPER for NYC marathon. Woo hoo!!

I have been putting a lot of time and thought into my hopes, dreams, and goals for the NYC Marathon and they really came together in my head and heart in the last 24 hours or so. I will write a post all about it in the next couple of days. I have had a couple of people ask me about what I eat in a typical day, so I have a post about that coming too (please note I am not a "foodie" so don't get your hopes up about beautiful plates of food or inspiring recipes).

And for fun, here is my awesome oldest son, Nate, with his Auntie and Gramma. He had a football game down close to where they live yesterday. His team won 44-0 and Nate had five unassisted tackles, including one forced fumble. Woo hoo!

We have more football tonight, a Lion King DVD watching party, a few extra kids coming over and more fun stuff planned for the weekend. Happy Friday everybody! More soon. :)


Teamarcia said...

So glad the tube change went smoothly! Noah is such a handsome boy and so is Nate!
Cannot believe how close NYC is getting. Time flies. Can't wait to hear what your game plan is. : )

Meaghan said...

Yay for a non-eventful tube change! Way to go Noah!

NYC is coming so soon - how did THAT happen that November is right around the corner? Congrats on the kick ass tempo run - you're going to take names in NYC!

Molly said...

So glad everything worked out okay for Noah.

Holy cow, 3 weeks from today we'll be in NYC! Yikes!

Penny said...

So glad the changing of Noah's tube went well. Love the pic's of Nate and his auntie and grandma. So precious.

Caroline said...

what a brave boy you must be so difficult to deal with this for him and also for you of course.

I had same issues at last check up...and this weekend...low BP, low body fat (16.6..not so good actually) and low weight..but like you said I'll take it.

happy weekend to you and your family!

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

Very glad that the tube change went well! That is a a long drive but yay for a thriving son and that big smile!!

MCM Mama said...

Glad the tube change went well. He's doing so great lately! Do they expect that he'll eventually overcome the eating issues?

Glad you are healthy. There are worse things than a low blood pressure...

Terzah said...

I love hearing about Noah--he's a trooper and looking so big. I'm glad you have such good care for him, despite the long drive.

And I'm looking forward to the post about your goals for NYC.

Suz and Allan said...

Glad everything is ok with Noah! Congrats to Nate on a great game-that's impressive!

Kevin said...

Glad Noah (my son has the same name) is gonna be ok. Handsome kiddo! And woohoo for Nate)...

Running for the Kitchen said...

wow, what a great momma. i hope his new gtube is leak free and that everything goes well in your family. its incredible how great alternate feeding works for some kids and lets them thrive