Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Why blog?

I was talking about blogging with a friend the other day and started thinking about WHY I blog.

It does take time, of which I don't have much extra of.

I don't make any money off of it.

I am not achieving (or striving to achieve) fame or recognition. 

But yet, I do get a lot out of blogging.

For one, I am a writer. I always have been. I don't mean that in the sense of,  "I am a talented writer," but in the sense of, "I process things best when I write them down."

I have always been better at writing (or typing) than talking. I share my feelings better when I write them down. I process my thoughts better when I write them down. I work things out and solve problems better on paper. I say what I want to say and what I mean to say when I write it down first. I remember things better when they are journaled. Writing is how I clear my head, organize my thoughts, make plans, sort my feelings, and express myself.

I blog about my family to remember things we've done and share them with family and friends.

I blog about adoption and HIV and special needs kids to try and educate others, fight stigma, advocate for kids in need, and share what I am passionate about.

And I blog about running because I love it. Running is my "me" space. It's the one thing I do in a day that is just for myself. It fills my emotional gas tank back up. It gives me physical energy. It increases my patience and adds balance to my life that leaves me a better mom, wife, adoption coordinator, and person.

I have had a lot of people say that I inspire them. If sharing my journey inspires others, that makes me incredibly happy. But I know that I am not the busiest person on the planet, that lots of other people have lost 75lbs and more, and that there are plenty of people out there who run faster and further than I do. So I am not blogging because I think my story is super amazing or that I am going to change the world.

One of the biggest benefits I have gotten from blogging is all of the connections I have made. I have met so many great people (both on line and in person) through this blog. It is a wonderful and powerful thing to connect to people that share a passion for something you are passionate about, and support you in it. It is fun to talk about workouts (good and bad) with people who understand what you are doing and have gone through similar experiences. It is great to share details of races with people who want to read them. It is awesome to get "good lucks" and "congrats" before a race. It rocks to tell people you qualified for Boston or to share a race time and have them know what that means and what kind of work went into it. There is no one better to get all kinds of running-related advise from than from other runners.There is no inspiration like what you get in hearing the stories of others dreaming big, pushing hard, overcoming challenges, achieving goals, and realizing dreams.

The running community is pretty dang awesome, and I enjoy being a part of it.

So that's why I blog. The need to write about things is part of who I am. I enjoy blogging, and it's how I journal my running journey and how I process it and share it with family, friends and others. And I blog because I love being a part of the running community, and truly am grateful for the friendship, support, knowledge, encouragement and comraderie that I get from it.

Do you blog? Why? :)


20 comments:

Amanda@runninghood said...

ahh, yes, a question I asked myself many times when I first started. I found myself feeling self conscious about it at times...especially when I was more obsessive about it (the early stages). But you seem to have nailed so many of the reasons I do it too. I've found such a great community!

Run with Jess said...

What a great post! ditto, ditto, ditto!! People ask me that all the time...

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

I couldn't agree with you more! I intitially started to blog because I was embarking on my marathon training and knew I needed some extra support and accountability. I thought if I told the world my goal I would feel more driven to achieve it in those hard times.

What I didn't expect was to find so much support, love, and connection. I didn't realize I could be touched by so many others and that their words would truly mean so much and pop in my head in those toughest times. And like you, I write to communicate and process my emotions so it has become a healing experience and growth experience for me.

Let's blog!

fancy nancy said...

Couldn't have said it better myself! The people that I have "met" through blogging have inspired me and helped me through so much! Just when I think I have too much to do I think of you making it work with 12 children....it is the kick in the pants I need to end my pitty party and put on my big girl pants!

misszippy said...

I think you've about covered it! Sometimes it is cathartic as well. Writing about my #$%^& injury has allowed me to process (some) of the blues I have to give those I love around me a break from it!

Lisa@The Daily RUNdown said...

Great post!!!
The running/blogging community is amazing.
I've learned so much from other bloggers, and whole I think bloggers should blog to please themselves only, I'm thankful for what they "put out there"

Jen said...

my blog is my accountability! It helps to keep me on track.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

I wholeheartedly agree! YOU do inspire and blogging allows you to touch so many more lives!

It's the people that bring me back to the keyboard. I have learned so much in my first year of blogging!!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I started my blog as an outlet for wanting to write and as an outlet for my running obsession as my husband calls it. I have learned so many great things and met so many great people. I get so much out of my blog. Never dreamed I would love it so much or that I would be able to waste so much time on it!

Terzah said...

I started my blog because I have a goal and I knew I needed support and accountability for it from people who understand. For a while, though, I got all caught up in the "why don't I have more followers, why don't I get more free stuff, why doesn't anyone like me, am i a boring writer, a lousy runner, just too average" mentality. It was making me miserable, and I almost quit.

Now I've let all that go. After taking a full week off blogging in August to get back to reality, I returned to my focus on the goal and on those nice people who HAVE supported me. I feel much better about it. For me, it's really more about running than blogging, I guess, and I don't want to forget that again.

That said, I try to make each post as thoughtful as possible. I am a writer, too, and so my posts are text-heavy and picture-poor. It's just who I am. But with my focus, that's OK. I'm not trying to be on any Top 25 blogs list or do a blockbuster Nike giveaway, and I'm not comfortable putting up lots and lots of photos of myself. What I will do (I hope) is qualify for Boston, keep a record of the process and then move on to some other goal. I intend to close this blog once that's done.

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

I only started blogging in March and I did it to write about balancing motherhood and training. I am totally not a writer but I found that I really enjoyed it. I am not a great runner and I can count my readers on my finger and toes. So definitely not doing it for fame or fortune either. I love that when I started a blog I started reading blogs. There are so many people who have inspired me, given me tips, and made me laugh. It is great to be able to connect to other runners because I don't know a lot of people who love to run. I hope you keep blogging because I enjoy reading your stories!

Lacey Sue said...

Very good question. I think I share a few things with you- I process things better when I write/type them out. That's one reason I blog- it helps me process and deal with things I am thinking or going through. I also blog to share- with family far and near- the little things that happen through out my day and in the lives of my family. I started my running blog, because I find that there is a whole COMMUNITY of people out there who share my love/hate/passion/need/interest in running. I have read so many blogs that inspire me, I can only hope that maybe, just maybe my piddly little blog might inspire someone else to do/be/choose better ;)!

Elisabeth said...

i love this post. people always ask me why i blog and its sometimes so hard to explain. but, a big part of it is the online community and the amazing support that comes from all of this.
ps - i love your blog, you are an inspiration =)

The Jackster said...

I do NOT blog - my attention span is short, and I forget to keep up on it. I do love reading others, though, yours included.
I tweet when I think about it, but Facebook is my sure thing. People have known what I'm doing and when, all throughout my day since late 2008.

Jill said...

I started my blog a long time ago for my then trainer and I to pick apart my running if I could write all my thoughts out. Then that little project went to the wayside and I thought I'd document my journey, as a journal in a sense, and hopefully my kids will read it someday when I'm long gone and know a little more about me!

Meredith said...

So thankful you blog :)

I sat reading through old posts yesterday and found myself so thankful that I blog. Posts that had me laughing, crying and even inspired. Like you, I process better when I write. Like you, I say things better when I write. And, like you, I'm so thankful for the blogging community and the friendships that have been formed. I often find it funny that people I've never met mean so much to me. It's such a blessing!

Caroline said...

I started it for my kids. Like Jill so they have something to read about me and know me better when they are older. I never thought people would read it. I still do it for them and as a journal of my running journey but now it is also to share with people like you Erin and know that I am not the only one hitting the pavement more often than the average person does!!!!

Andrea H. said...

And I am so glad you blog. Over the years I have learned so much from you in adoption, special needs children and especially HIV. And now the running blog (since I started running myself in June) is truly the ICING on the cake. Thanks for blogging. I started blogging to keep a journey of my adoptions but truly have become to lazy because my running has taking over my life, yeahhhhh..

christa said...

Great post. Someone asked me yesterday why I blogged. It was a hard question, and sometimes I feel like a "bad" blogger, a slacker and wonder why I don't have more followers. But I do it because it makes me happy, I like to overshare and I love to read other peoples blogs

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

One reason I blog is so that I can get all of my running talk out without bothering my husband!