Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Too...

(Full race report is in the works and will be up by the end of the day). Until then -

If you have put limits on what you can achieve as a runner (or anything else)...

If you have ever said, "I can't because I am too...."

old
out of shape
slow
busy
tired
heavy
whatever...

Don't believe it!

Three years ago I was over 200lbs. I never exercised. I did not do much of anything to take care of myself. I could not run a mile straight in any period of time.

Two years ago I was about 160lbs. I could run 3-6 miles without stopping which I thought was a miracle. Most days I ran three miles and most of my miles were in the 11-12 minute per mile range. I believed that a 10K was the furthest I would ever be able to run.

One year ago I was 150lbs. I had just completed my first half marathon in 2:04, and was training for my first full marathon. I was just starting to realize that in running, and in life, I could accomplish pretty much whatever I set my mind to (and was willing to put the work in to achieve).

Today I am 133lbs. I just finished my fourth marathon in less than nine months. I qualified for Boston and met the fastest standard for a female of any age, even under the faster time requirements that will go into effect for the 2013 race (and beat my age standard by over 12 minutes). I believe in myself and in my abilities.

Three years ago I literally would not have believed that any of this was possible. Two years ago I had started on my journey, but still was limiting what I could accomplish in my own head. Last year I was starting to "believe", but even in April of this year when I broke four hours in the marathon, I remember saying that I did not think I would ever be able to qualify for Boston because shaving another 15 minutes off of my marathon time seemed impossible. Then I shaved 25 minutes off that time!

I don' say this to too my own horn... just to show what a difference our own minds can make and how much things can change in a short period of time.

I don't know why so many of us doubt ourselves. I no longer believe I am "too" anything to achieve what I want to. It doesn't matter that I didn't start running until I was 32 years old or that I have 12 kids or any other excuse. I am going to keep setting goals for myself and enjoy the rewards of hard work, dedication and faith.

And the same goes for you. Whatever "too" excuse you are using to limit yourself... don't. Whatever goal you have been believing is out of reach for you... it isn't. If you want something and are willing to put the work in to make it happen, you CAN do it. It may not come quickly and it may not come easily, but the biggest achievements rarely do.

If we all believed in ourselves, and believed we were "too" good to fail, just imagine what we all could accomplish.

28 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Love it girl! So true!

misszippy said...

Truer words were never spoken! Great post.

And after looking at the registration process again today, I realized you are SO in. I thought it went in 5 minute increments. Yay!

Emz said...

Fab post.
I'm. A. Believer.
Loved this

Jen said...

you are AMAZING!!! Thank you for posting this.

Lacey Sue said...

Wow. How true. I needed to read this- more than you know- and I thank you for your inspirational words and example. 5 months ago I was still recovering from having my 4th pregnancy (third delivery) in 7 years. I was 189 lbs. tired, wore out and frustrated. I had been able to run 6 miles before I got pregnant but was terrified to try again for fear that I wouldn't be able to do it again. I am not 148 lbs. running 6.9 miles and feeling 100% better inside of myself and about myself. God works miracles and one of those miracles is a gift of determination! :)

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Love this post! It's so true. No one and nothing holds us back but ourselves. So happy for you!

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

This post is truly awesome and something I needed to hear today. Thank you!

Suz and Allan said...

This is just what I needed to hear this morning!

Jake said...

Such a great story. You've really worked at it. Congrats.

Rene' said...

Love it! Everyone can take something from this today and everyday. Congratulations!!

Lauren @ The Running Cook said...

Thank you for such a great post! I am just beginning my running journey (relatively speaking) as I am training for my first full marathon. If you had told me a year ago I would be doing this I would have thought you were crazy. While I think qualifying for Boston seems out of the question right now (my goal is just to finish my first marathon, hopefully in less than 5 hours!), I really should never put a limit on myself, as you are a living example that nothing is impossible! Thanks for the inspiration!

emlizalmo said...

You are so, so great. I love this post so much...partly because I have been checking 10x a day for your race report, and partly because this is maybe the best post ever. Running has taught me the same thing. That I can accomplish tough things...I just have to work. I am SO inspired by you. This post needs to be published somewhere. I will definitely be sharing it with my friends. Can't wait to read more!

Chris @ Heavy Steps said...

Tears... That is amazing! Great post. Thank you for sharing your story. If give someone like me hope to keep going.

I had a taste of it today on my run. You are an example to me!

Ronel said...

Amazing post!! I have been lacking inspiration and motivation since completing my first 15k in July & with 7 weeks until my first half marathon I have contimplated not doing it at all bc it just isn't enough time to train.... well thank you bc I am hitting the pavement today and I will cross the finish line on October 16th no matter what!! Thank you!Thank you!! Thank you!!

Molly said...

very well said, you're a rockstar!

Cari Mugz said...

I just love you!!! Thank you for being YOU!!!

Penny said...

You are so encouraging. Just when I second guess myself and think maybe I cant do it. You post this great post which than makes me think I'm just giving up to soon. You are truly a blessing, Thanks being use.

Meredith said...

I. Love. This!! Love it!

Julie D. said...

Meredith (above) just told me about your blog and i don't know how I missed it until now. I'm going to be on my own bq quest this year and to be honest the 3:35 standard scares the crap out of me. This post has helped me 'believe'. Thanks so much and congrats on the big BQ!!

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

Love it! And so true, but SO easy to forget. You are amazing!!

Steph said...

Thank you for the great post! As a 34 yr old working mom and wife, who just started running, I am so encouraged by your determination and endurance.

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

That's it, I'm qualifying. I only have to take 67 minutes off my marathon time. Give me 5 years!!! ;-)

Arbrasgallery said...

Your article is so cute and nice post your blog. Thanks for sharing for us.
Promotional gifts

lindsay said...

Too awesome! :) very motivating here. Youare amazing!!

SWMom said...

Thanks for this! I'm 32, new runner and I'm doing a pretty challenging trail run this weekend. I've been guilty of saying, "I'm not a runner, I'm not an athlete, I'm too slow..." but I'm going to take your advice and just kill that run. THANKS!

Heather said...

Congratulations on qualifying for Boston! I watched my cousin run it in April and it is an amazing day! Love your blog and love your post!

Jen said...

You rock! Love your outlook and attitude. And wouldn't you know, I was just saying to myself that I was "too" overweight and old to improve my running times. You inspire me! I am about 30 pounds overweight and very slow (like 12-13 min miles...did my first Half Marathon in Feb in 2:48), but I am going to use your encouragement and push myself harder! Thank you :)

SWMom said...

P.S. - I did kill that trail run! It stormed, rained and was so cold I kept telling myself, "Hot Chocolate! Hot Chocolate" as I ran. I wasn't last and I finished strong so I was happy! The course was tough, but I'm calling myself a real trail runner now and I am headed to that course again for next year. Thanks for your inspiration. I'm still thinking of this post each time I run!!!