Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Opportunities

Happy Tuesday!  We are having a beautiful week here... low temps in the upper 30's, high temps in the low 70's. PERFECT RUNNING WEATHER. There are rumors for snow already though next week so I am going to enjoy this as long as it lasts! (We live in the Rocky Mountains at about 6200ft elevation. It snows early in the fall. It snows late in the spring. Sometimes it snows in the summer. It snows a lot).

I am feeling really good with my running. I did 14 miles on Sunday, six easy miles yesterday and a tough nine mile "ladder" run today. I warmed up a couple of miles, ran a half mile interval, had a rest interval, ran a 3/4 mile interval, had a rest interval, ran a mile interval, had a rest, and then went back down the "ladder" the same way. My mile interval was a 6:37 which I felt really good about and my last half mile interval was at a 6:28 pace. I have run faster times in speed workouts, but I am really proud of today's run because it was tough (didn't come easy as it does some days) and I did it anyway. :)

I did this run out on the roads, which meant I had hills, wind and traffic (triple bleck). I normally prefer running on the road to anything, but for speed intervals, I much prefer the track. I like being able to zone out and just focus on my breathing, leg turnover and pace. The workout was a lot harder not on the track or treadmill, plus, I felt a bit like a psycho running so fast on the road! :)

While I was running I kept thinking about how Patrick Makau (who if you missed it, won the Berlin Marathon this weekend and set a new World Record time of 2:03:38) had just run 26.2 miles at a 4:40 average pace, which was almost two minutes a mile faster than my speed work. CRAZY!!!!!

I have been thinking a lot about opportunities this week. Last week we were presented with two different opportunities that have had Josh and I thinking and talking a lot. Sometimes it is so hard to know what is an awesome opportunity that is smart to take and what is better to walk away from.

Obviously, since we got married very young after only dating for a very short time, have moved across the country, have traveled around the world, and have adopted nine kids, Josh and I are the kind of people who aren't scared off easily by the potential risks of the opportunities life presents us. And so far we have no regrets. So we will continue to make decisions the way we have together for the past 15+ years - thinking, talking, and praying together.

One of these potential opportunities is directly related to my running, so I will share more details here soon if it looks like we are going to move forward. :)

Well, my cranky toddler is NOT taking a nap as I hoped he would (his feeding pump alarm went off about a million times last night. Seriously, if he didn't need it to survive I would have frisbeed it out the back door), so I am going to go try and cheer him up.

Today is YOUR LAST CHANCE to get in on my big Team Meb Fundraising Giveaway for the NYC Marathon!!!

I have FOUR awesome prizes left that have not been won yet, and the last winner (that I will use Random.org to choose TOMORROW morning) will get all four remaining prizes.

The four remaining prizes are a Gotein prize pack, your choice of shirt from Tri it Wear (they have seriously awesome stuff), a box of Snickers Marathon Protein Bars, and a pack of two awesome books from mom, author, and runner, Mary Ostyn. That's a pretty great prize package!

All you have to do to enter is make a donation here (quickly, easily and securely online). If you have already made a donation then you are already entered. If you have already made a donation and donate again, you will receive lots of bonus entries. 


9 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

So intrigued! Can't wait to hear about these opportunities. I like to dive in head first if I get a good feeling about something. Maybe not the smartest thing, but I have yet to regret anything I've done. Good luck!

Teamarcia said...

You know what they say: When opportunity knocks...

I often do speedwork around a neighborhood and hope nobody looks out their window and sees the crazy lady running like hell. Ha!

Suz and Allan said...

I'm intrigued as well! Can't wait to hear what's going on.

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Can't wait to hear about your opportunities!!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Oh that sounds like an exciting opportunity! Great job on the speed work!

Meredith said...

You have me sitting on the edge of my seat :)

Shana said...

It's no surprise to your fans that opportunities from running are coming your way. Can't wait to hear about it!

Run with Jess said...

Aw, come on... you can't keep us hanging like that! Opportunity?! I'm dying over here!

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Okay, I am intrigued too but wanted to say it is wonderful you and Josh can discuss your opportunities and I know you two will pick the best one for your family.

:)