Friday, September 23, 2011

Changes

Wow! Life has been crazy busy this week.

THANKS SO MUCH for all your kind comments about the race pics. I figured they would be horrible with the rain and all, but they are kind of fun and my favorite ever I think. To be honest, I took a good look at these pics and barely recognize myself. I have muscles like that? My body is shaped like that? I ran a 3:28 marathon? Where did my boobs go? (Not really kidding about that one!) My confidence has grown leaps and bounds along with my strength, but I still have those moments where I forget that I am not 210lbs anymore. A friend recently told me that I had the body of a runner and truly, it was one of the best compliments I have ever gotten.  Here are two more pics they added late to my race pics.

This was the one at mile 21 or so when the photographer thanked me and told me he never got smiles at mile 21. ;)

 Not sure when this one was taken, but you can tell how WET it was!!

I am really happy with how great I am feeling this week running. After the weekend I will be over 55 miles this week. I did a 10 mile tempo run this morning, with a 3 mile warm up, then five miles at tempo pace. Splits were 7:44 (uphill), 7:27 (uphill), 7:10, 7:17, 7:11, then a two mile cool down. Josh ran with me for most of it. He "missed" the middle mile and a half of the tempo part. His ITB has been bugging him which stinks.

I am really lucky I am not back on the injured list. I was running on Monday morning and a car tried to run me over. I took a quick, big step to the left to avoid the car, and the curb/road was very uneven and in the dark (and with the quick step) I rolled my ankle hard. I stopped for a minute, said a swear word and limped to the curb. Honestly, if I had had a cell phone I would have called for help and I was worried I wasn't going to be able to get home. It HURT. I walked for a minute, then tried running and it felt ok, so I made it the 3 miles home. When I got home it swelled up and bruised quickly and I iced it a ton. It never hurt to walk on it but sure did look bad.

On Tuesday morning it was still puffy but didn't hurt at all so I ran on it and it didn't bug me. Noah's PT came that morning (who is a runner) and he said as long as it didn't hurt to run I could, and to keep icing it. It never did hurt to run and the swelling is gone now (although I still have some pretty purple colors). I didn't feel it one bit on my 10 mile tempo run this morning. I am SO GRATEFUL this did not end up being an injury that sidelined me.

I have felt great since the marathon though and this was my fastest recovery yet. I had very minimal soreness and muscles all feel super good. I know recovery is different for everyone, but I have found that for me, slow easy miles make me feel better faster than just pure rest does. So I run every day after a marathon, starting with 3 slow, easy miles and building up as I feel good. I leave my Garmin home for the first days and just take it easy and enjoy. I use my foam roller twice a day and do lots of easy stretching/yoga poses. I ice sore spots. I lay around as much as possible. This works for me!

Ok, I am off to go listen to my oldest daughter sing the national anthem at a volleyball tournament. Happy Friday and Happy First Day of Fall everyone!

How about you? What recovery strategies have you found to best work for you?
Are you ever surprised by what you look like or how you have changed because of running?


11 comments:

Caroline said...

that last question: yes always. I lost 72 lbs and I still see myself big in my head. I still check XL on race entries for the Tshirt ..sometimes I'll see myself in a window or a mirror and I have to double check...yep that is me..very weird. Scary on the incident...the car driver did not stop to make sure you were ok?? not ok with me!
I am glad you did not get a serious injury because of this...

Run with Jess said...

You look fantastic! It's always so hard to see the change in ourselves...

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

I have lost a lot of weight running (and cycling) but I still don't have leg muscle like you! Anyone who says they can't change, they can't run, they can't lose weight, needs to read your blog! Very inspirational!

Meredith said...

Love the pictures! Especially mile 21! I'm soaking in all your recovery techniques, preparing, and looking at plans to prepare me for March and April. 2 'thons 6 weeks apart - looks like an eternity compared to your 2 :) But, it will be a 1st for me and I'm hoping to really kick it up in the speed department. So glad you weren't injured by the darn car!! Scary!

The Unexpected Runner said...

Glad you are ok! That is scary!

Meaghan said...

Love the pictures - you look awesome!!! And I'm SO glad to hear you weren't hurt!

Anne said...

What great racing photos! You look so strong and fit! Really glad you didn't injure yourself with that ankle twist. How scary that you almost got hit too.

Lacey Sue said...

I have lost 35 lbs running, since having my 3rd child. I often look at pictures of myself and wonder when I will start to "look like a runner"!!! I am always in a state of awe with my body, what it's been capable, able, and willing to do and achieve. Amazing.
The second picture of you, the wet hair one- is defiantly my fav, you look healthy, happy, natural and gorgeous!

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

I am SO glad you weren't seriously hurt. Your pictures are beautiful!

Terzah said...

The "smiling" photo is my new favorite! :^)

Dina said...

I am surprised at how running kept my body firm and fit for pregnancy and how hopefully it will change me again once this guy gets here.