Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunday Sunday

We survived our road trip on Friday, but it was a super long day. We left at 6:45am and were home just before midnight. If you listen carefully you can still hear the sounds of my Discover Card crying... school supplies for 11 kids in school, new shoes for 12 kids, new backpacks for 11, two very expensive hair appointments for the older girls, three meals out, two tanks of gas in the 15 passenger van... yup, it was quite the expensive day.

We did have a lot of fun though. It was HOT in Utah, so we stuck to the indoors. We got all of the school supplies and backpacks at Walmart, lunch at Carls Jr (under 500 calorie turkey burgers are pretty good!), shoes at Payless (YAY For BOGO and Champion and Airwalk brands that are cool enough for the big kids), and then we still had a few hours until the girls were going to be done with their hair (it took 8 hours for them both to get their extensions done).

I suggested going to Toys R Us just for fun. We hadn't been in a toy store in AGES. I told the kids we weren't buying ANYTHING and that there would be NO nagging... and if they nagged or asked me to buy one thing, then we would leave. Well, we had a TOTAL blast. Josh and I had as much fun as the kids did. We played with trains, cars, blocks, bikes, Nerf guns, hoola hoops, balls, electronic stuff, and a hockey game broke out that may or may not have been my fault. It really was loads of fun for all of us.

After that we went to my version of a toy store and went to the Salt Lake Running Company. I bought two pairs of socks and did a lot of looking and chatting with people in there. I could so work in a running store. :)

When the girls were done (and they both look beautiful!) we hit up Golden Corral. I am not a big fan of buffets, but the kids LOVE it, there is instant gratification (no waiting) and everyone can eat whatever they want. We definitely get our money's worth.

After that we had to pick up a few more things we had missed earlier in the day, and then we were finally on our way home. The kids were great the whole day and we had a lot of fun despite it being such a long day. And, we are officially ready for back to school now. (My high school kids start tomorrow and everyone else starts next Monday).

To celebrate the last full day of summer vacation today we had ice cream for breakfast. That boosted my mom popularity ratings a few points.

Friday was my running rest day. Yesterday I did 8 miles at an 8:11 average pace and today I did 12 miles on the treadmill. I hadn't run on the treadmill in a long time and didn't really want to today, but there were nasty thunderstorms when I got up and I don't run in thunder and lightning.  I did my first 10 miles today at an 8:40 pace and the last two miles at a 7:47 pace.

I don't want to jinx anything, but as of right now I would say the Achilles is probably 99-100% better. There hasn't been any swelling or creaking at all for a couple of days, and I don't feel it all  when I am running. Yay!

Only SIX days until the Pocatello Marathon. Nuts! I remember when it seemed so far away. I also remember worrying that I wouldn't be ready since I cut two weeks out of my training schedule by choosing to make Pocatello my A-race (because of the Boston registration schedule).  I feel really ready though! I have a post coming up that sums up my training and my goals for this race. I am really excited!

Happy Sunday everyone! I have my review of this awesome shirt coming later today or tomorrow, and a chance for you to win one too. It is a great running top!

4 comments:

Suz and Allan said...

I can't even imagine taking 12 kids back to school shopping. I worked in a shoe store for 2 years mostly selling athletic shoes and there's no crazier day all year than the day before schools start. Glad you all were able to find everything you needed!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I bet your credit card is crying a little, but maybe not as much as you when you have to pay it. I could so work in a running store and then spend all my money there too. Cute shirt btw!

Terzah said...

That trip sounds tiring but fun. I am trying to channel you on the parenting front (as well as the running front). I took Will and Ruth to Michaels craft store this a.m. to get a birthday present for one of their little friends. I told them the same thing--no buying for ourselves--and there was no whining! I was amazed--my kids are not as well-behaved in such situations usually as yours usually are, but something must be taking a little bit. :^)

Can't wait to hear about your race goals and plan! I had fun on my relay and don't think I messed up my marathon training.

Happy Back to School!

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

ice cream for breakfast - love it! we have done that around here before too. so fun!
you are going to have an amazing marathon! i'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear all about it. so grateful your achilles is feeling so much better!!!