Thursday, August 18, 2011

Rockin' the Yasso's

This morning I got up at 4:40am. I left my house at 5:40am to pick up my friend Alana and get us to the track by 6am. The plan for both of us was to run 10x800m repeats (Yasso repeats!!)  As of today I have 16 days until the Pocatello Marathon, and I read that to use Yasso repeats at an indicator of your marathon time ability, that doing this work out 14-17 days before your marathon was ideal.

I have not done track work for the last couple of weeks because I haven't wanted to push my achilles, but since I had run hard on it all last week (including a 20-miler with 4 miles at marathon pace of 7:50) and it is still getting better (I would say 95% better now), I decided to go for it.The PT also gave the green light this week as long as I backed off it it started bugging me.

Before I left the house I "tweeted" that I was on my way to the track to do 10 Yasso repeats, and Bart Yasso responded and said "Awesome, have a great workout. Ten yasso 800s, brutal workout, it will pay off in 16 days."

I started off feeling confident but knowing that it was going to be a long, tough workout. (And Bart's use of the word "brutal" didn't help!) I felt good for the first two, REALLY hated 3, 4 and 5 (and worried that I still had a lot to go!) and then felt pretty awesome for the rest, although I was definitely, definitely TIRED. When I got to the last one I yelled at the top of my lungs, "LAST ONE!!!" and when I finished that last repeat I literally cheered. It was a long, hard work out (9 miles total) and sooooooo many 800's. 10 is a lot!

After a cool down I checked my Garmin, anxious to see my times. My goal was to run the 800M repeats in 3:20, and I was hoping to be pretty consistent and not have any that were much slower. (For those that don't train for marathons, these Yasso repeats are supposed to be an indicator of your marathon time. If you can run 10 Yasso repeats in 3 mins and 20 seconds each, then you should be able to run a marathon in 3 hours and 20 minutes. There is a good article about this here.)

I saw my splits and just smiled!!!
3:18
3:18
3:18
3:18
3:18
3:13
3:15
3:19
3:18
3:14

HECK YEAH!!!

I was feeling pretty confident about running a sub 3:30 marathon in Pocatello before today, but this workout was a big confidence booster. I am believing! And as happy as I am with my times, I am equally if not more happy that my achilles felt awesome during and after the workout.

I got home and tweeted about my times and Bart Yasso responded with "Wow. You are fit!" THANKS BART! :)

Alana also did GREAT. We didn't run together but we encouraged and cheered for each other as we went around the track and celebrated together on the way home. She is running her first marathon (Top of Utah) on Sept. 17 and she would love to be under four hours. I think she can do it!!

Is there a feeling as awesome as finishing a really tough, but really great run??

How was your run today?? Have you ever done a Yasso workout?

PLEASE CLICK HERE TO DONATE TO MY TEAM MEB FUNDRAISING!

22 comments:

Emz said...

You. Know. I. Love. This. Erin!!

And. YOU. Too.

You've. Freaking. Got. This.

Carrie @ Maine Mom on the Run said...

Awesome! You are so speedy! I'm just finishing up his book now and plan to implement them into my workouts when I start training for a marathon next year.

JC said...

This is intense! you're so speedy - awesome workout :) :)

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

You are awesome! Bart also linked your blog on his facebook and twitter. You are basically a celebrity!

I've done 8x800 but my times are no where near as fast as yours. I usually shoot to do my 800s at 10K pace. I've averaged 3:55 - which I would totally take.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Holy speed Erin! Bart was right! Pocatello will be a great race for you!!!

Samantha said...

Dean, Meb and now Burt. Who are you?!!! Awesome job! There is nothing better than finishing a hard workout - I did 12 400s last night and was totally psyched after.

Rene' said...

you are a total rock star celebrity this week. Truly inspirational!!!! and Bart mentioned you on FB:)

Terzah said...

Rockin' indeed! Doesn't it feel good when you finish one of those?? And yeah like everyone else said....you are in touch with some famous folks. Can't wait to read your Pocatello report. And of course run with you and Alana at TOU. :^)

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

Great job! That is so awesome. The article got me excited to try these come fall. I've been doing 800s on the track and have worked up to 6 repeats and am hanging onto anywhere from a 3:12-3:30 for them. My first repeats are always slower until I catch a groove (maybe I need to warm up more...). Anyway my marathon goal right now is a 3:45 so I will try these 2 weeks before my Rae (MCM in October) and see how it goes!
I'm so excited for your marathon! It has been lots of fun following your training - you are doing awesome!! It is going to be a great race for you. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Teamarcia said...

Yes Yasso's are tough. Brutal for sure. But LOOK AT YOU! You are so primed to rock that marathon! Cannot wait! WTG!

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

well you know I am doing my first marathon this september. I really wanted to just be able to run the distance and didn't concentrate on time. Did you feel like that your first marathon or not? I never heard of Yasso but I'm going to look it up...when I start training for time I am going to need some help! You are super impressive! Were you always this fast?!

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

You Are AWEsome!

I was up at 4:30 too. yikes!

Jill said...

Awesome job Erin! You will do great in Pocatello.

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

You so rock Erin!!!!!!

LBTEPA said...

Oh my word, that BQ is YOURS!

Christy said...

Way to go!!

April said...

Oh my goodness! You rocked it! You inspire me!

Margs @ Faster Bunny said...

nice job! That is a heck of a lot of 800s and you nailed them!

Laura said...

Holy cow!! Awesome job!

Haute Running Mama said...

You.are.amazing! GO MAMA!!!

The Green Girl said...

I love that Bart tweeted back - that is too awesome.

Way to nail them, girl. 800's are totally brutal!

Rachel said...

Wow. Wow. Wow. Totally inspiring! I'm doing speed work in the am and this will get me through it! You're going to rock Pocatello.