Monday, August 1, 2011

Pouting

Thanks for all the comments about my hair! I am really, really liking it! I never had the guts to go short before, and I was really in the mood for something different. I think I used to "hide" behind my  hair a little. I had almost always had the same very long hair, and had always been told I have beautiful hair. I used to think it was my only "pretty" feature (when I was heavy). It felt very therapeutic to get a cute short cut, to not need long hair to feel beautiful, and to redefine "me" a little bit more. Yup, I like it.

Anyway...

I am not running. That means I am pouting, even though pouting is really not my style.

Yesterday I had a 20 miler on the schedule. I knew my achilles was "iffy" and that it probably wasn't smart to run on it, but I decided to see how it felt. I was up nice and early, I felt great, the weather was PERFECT (cool and overcast), I had a great running outfit on, I had some some new songs on my IPOD and I was SO SO SO in the mood for a good, long run.

I went half a mile. Half a mile into it my Achilles was hurting and I just knew that it would be stupid to run that day. I knew the smart thing to do was to go home, change back into my pj's, go back to bed and take a couple of days completely off from running to let this heel heal completely.

I am icing three times a day, wearing compression socks, stretching and massaging. There is still a small lump right on the very back of the achilles, a couple of inches above the heel. It doesn't hurt at all to do the achilles "pinch test" and the swelling and creaking is gone, but there is still some soreness for sure. It is big improvement already from yesterday and I am hoping another couple of days off will make it all better.

Not running is killing me... I want to RUN. I want to run far and I want to run fast and I want to get back to training. I know deep down the best thing I can do for my training and for my goals is to let this heal but it sucks.  I am feeling a little more hopeful today because it seems to have improved so much with just one day off, and I am hoping after a couple of more days that I will be out there good as new.

Lesson learned - I will never do two days of speedwork in a row again.

Ok, now help cheer me up. I have been "tagged" by a few people now for the Q&A that is going around.
ERIN

Think about it... there is A LOT of material here people. Ask away. I am a pretty open book. :)

12 kids?
Adoption?
Married at 19?
NY to WY?
Losing 75lbs?
New runner at 32 years old?
Marathon lover?
Qualifying for Boston? (it is so happening)
Running goals?

Ask away. (I have some marathon training questions that someone emailed me that I will include in here too).

So cheer me up and ask me some questions!

Oh, and I have been told by Team MEB and Crowdrise that the fundraising will be up and running again this week. I will let you know as soon as it is as there are tons of great prizes still waiting to be won.

Happy running!

13 comments:

Emz said...

Not running is killing me... I want to RUN.
---oh how I GET that comment!
Smart. Smart. Move though!!

Q:
I'd like to know how often you go to GC.
How many kids do you take with you?
Cost per week?
Do you eat out as a family? When you do-- where's your favorite place?
Weirdest comment anyone has said when they see you & your troops.

Terzah said...

Yay on the questions! Boo on the Achilles. But you are doing the right thing. Don't let that sucker get worse!

OK, here are my questions:

1. I know you hate cooking too (I'm so with you on this as with many things), so I want to hear your go-to EASY HEALTHY recipes for main and side dishes.

2. Any picky eaters among your kids? How do you deal with that?

3. Same question you asked me: what would you change about your life if you could go back?

4. Are you going to do the Bolder Boulder next year? (You know you want to....:^) ) Any other races in CO look fun to you?

5. We know you have lots of reasons for admiring Meb (don't we all!). Who are some of the other famous elites you admire and why?

Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner said...

You are added! I want to know- Did you always want a large family? How did you end up with 12 kids?! And how do you do it all??

lindsay said...

Wait.. 12 kids?!? What's the story behind that?
What do you mean by adoption? I don't know much of your background... Were you adopted? Or did you adopt the 12 kids? Or some of the 12?
How come you don't have your own reality tv show? Would you allow your fam to be featured on one?
Most unique name you gave one of your kids? (middle names can count over first if you want)
Favorite race you've done?
Best vacation you ever went on (thus far)?

Penny said...

Would you ever do a Tri. Do you like to travel to do a race or do you like to do races close to home.

Leah said...

I'm new to running at 31 years of age, and I find your blog inspirational. I'd like to know about your favourite running gear (ie shoes, attire, energy gels, etc.).

Thanks! :)

Kiley said...

Yikes about the achilles. Mine decided to crap out on me 3 weeks before a marathon I had signed up for. I ended up having to take 6 weeks off before it felt totally better. TAKE IT EASY!! Love the hair by the way.

Q- you watching/running/going to Ty's race? I'll be there with my fam helping out.

Caroline said...

You are so smart. made a good choice. do you feel better if we keep saying this? you shoould! :) you are the smartest of all the mothers of 12 in the whole universe.....! :)
ok questions...!
I get big families..my mom is one of 16. None adopted, my grandmother who I never knew, is my hero. She gave birth 16 times! and they all turned out pretty good people!

1. So the fighting...do they fight a lot? please say yes...and how do you handle it? to spank or not to spank?

2. maybe you said that before but before adopting were you foster parents?

3 are some of your adopted kids biological sibblings?

4 how many sibblings do you have?

5 do some of your older kids run as well? do they come to your races?

I admire you so much. Really.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Oh Im so sorry Erin. I know you are a mileage machine!

Did you run in HS? What is your favorite mileage? Who do you admire and try to model yourself after?

How do you stay so sane and energized with 12 kiddos and a hubby?!!

I think you are awesome!!

LBTEPA said...

boo to your achilles! But hang in there and be patient and all will be well

Stephanie Anne said...

When did you first fall in love with running?
Do any of your kids ever run with you?
What is your pre-race go-to meal?
What is your favorite race bling?

Anonymous said...

Ooh I love Q & A posts! I have a lot of questions!

1. Why did you shut your adoption/family blog? Did you announce you were closing it? All of a sudden it was just gone! I do hope & pray everything is OK!

2. How much would someone need to budget to become a runner? The shoes and marathons plus travel seem very expensive!

3. What are some of your life goals now that you've "completed" your family at such a young age?

4. Do you run on Sundays or do you take a sabbath?

Calico

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

Hope you are back running soon. I know its tough!!