Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Life goals, Inspiration, and more questions answered

Hear are some more answers to the questions readers asked. Everything you ever wanted to know about Erin (and then some probably!) 

My buddy Terzah asked-
Same question you asked me: what would you change about your life if you could go back?
I try to live my life with no regrets. I got married young, I started having kids young, we moved from NY to WY, we built a big family. I have ZERO regrets on all of the big decisions Josh and I have made together and I love where my life is. I have made mistakes, but none of the BIG kind of mistakes that I would have regret about. I have treasured my husband since we fell in love, I have always done my best as a mom, I have tried to treat others with love and kindness and without judgement, I haven't broken any laws...

So I guess the one thing I would change about my life if I could back is that I would have figured out that I was a runner a lot earlier. I wish I had run in high school. I wish I had run in college. I wish I had run through my pregnancies and when my babies were younger and I SO needed a little me time (and to be healthier). I wish I hadn't wasted so many years being overweight and unhappy about it. I would love to know how fast I could be now if I had been running for years, and what I may have been able to accomplish. Most of all I know running would have helped me through the tough times and I know how much good it has brought into my life in the last two years. I wish I had figured out I was a runner a long time ago.

Are you going to do the Bolder Boulder next year? (You know you want to....:^) ) Any other races in CO look fun to you?
I would love to do the Bolder Boulder, but at this point I am only traveling and spending money on races that are marathons (or my beloved Ragnar). I can't really justify spending the money and time away from the kids to run a 10k (even a super awesome one!)


That said, I would LOVE to come run the Colorado Marathon in Fort Collins. It looks AWESOME!

We know you have lots of reasons for admiring Meb (don't we all!). Who are some of the other famous elites you admire and why?
Well obviously I am a big fan of Dean Karnazes since he ran with my husband and all. :) Also, I have always enjoyed Dean's books because he comes off as a very down-to-earth, humble family guy (and Josh said that is exactly how he was).


I am a big fan of Bart Yasso's too. I loved his book "My Life on the Run" and thought it was really inspirational. I love how running literally changed his life and became his life, and love his spirit of adventure. Reading his stories makes me want to try things I probably wouldn't normally and he comes across as someone I would love to hang out with.

I love Deena Kastor because she is super determined and dedicated and she is a fighter, and she loves the marathon (and is amazing at it!) She is a big inspiration to me. I also love and am inspired by Kara Goucher because she is an incredible athlete and is able to do so while being a mother.

Honestly, I am inspired by all runners... beginner runners struggling to finish a 5K and Olympic-caliber athletes. I think runners are the greatest and I find inspiration in all of their stories and so much support in the running community.

Lindsay asked-

Best vacation you ever went on (thus far)?
Disney World with 11 kids in 2009 (we didn't have Noah yet). Solomon got a trip to Disney World thanks to Make A Wish, and it was over the top. We stayed at Give Kids the World (an incredible resort just for wish families), we got tickets to all of the parks, and we had tons of food, spending money, a rental van, lots of gifts and perks... we were spoiled rotten for an entire week without a care in the world.  One of my best friends and her family were there and my Dad and Pam came at the end of the trip to see us too, which made it that much more special. We had SO MUCH FUN. It was pretty much the most perfect week ever.

Caroline asked-
 how many sibblings do you have?
Two! I have a sister who is two years younger than I am and a brother who is four years younger than I am. Neither of them are married or have kids (yet) and neither of them run. :)

Jess@Blonde Ponytail asked -

Who do you admire and try to model yourself after?
I admire lots of people for all kinds of reasons, but I don't try to model myself after anyone. I try to be the best me that I can be, and hope every day that I am doing the things that my Heavenly Father put me here on the earth to do, that I am living to my fullest potential, and that I am making the most of the life and blessings I have been given.

How do you stay so sane and energized with 12 kiddos and a hubby?!!
I stay sane because I enjoy my life. Josh is my best friend, true love and soul mate, and the kids are awesome. I love them and I enjoy them. I am super organized (some "might" say a little anal even...) which helps with the "logistics". I know people picture chaos and madness when they picture a home and life with 12 kids but I promise it isn't like that at all.

As far as staying energized... well, obviously running helps a lot! I am naturally an energetic person and never sit still for long without something to do. I am an early riser by nature and have plenty of energy during the day, but to tell the truth I am pretty useless by 9pm. I have never been a night owl and never will be! I suppose running has made that worse with the 4am wake up calls. Most nights I fall asleep on the couch with Josh and the older kids watching a movie.

Stefanie asked -   do you have any help during the day? I have a 1 year old & a 3 year old (I am a SAHM) & feel absolutely swamped everyday.
No, I do not have any help during the day. Josh is the dad and I am the mom and we are raising our kids together. We don't even have any family nearby to help out (which would be nice once and a while!) We have four teens now and they can be super helpful, however we believe that kids need to be kids and we do not have our older kids responsible for caring for the younger kids, doing housework (outside of a regular chore), etc. Plus, our big kids are SO busy with school, sports, homework and church activities that they really don't have a whole lot of time to be around helping.

Lindsay asked - 
Have you considered home schooling?
Not really! We live in an excellent school district and all of our kids love school and are thriving in school. I am very involved in the kids' educations and think public school is working well for them. If for one reason or another one (or more) of our kids was unhappy in school or not reaching their full potential then homeschooling would definitely be an option, but for now we are all very happy with the way school is going and I have no plans to homeschool. The kids enjoy school, they are doing extremely well, they have lots of friends, they are involved in tons of activities, and they are getting a very good education.

Calico asked -
 What are some of your life goals now that you've "completed" your family at such a young age?
I have a lot of life goals. A lot of my kids are still quite young (my baby is two) so I have lots of kid-raising left to do, and I want to do a dang good job at that. I want to always be the wife that Josh deserves and always have our marriage as a top priority.  I want to stay in shape and continue running and seeing how far I can take that. I want to influence others to find the joy that comes with being healthy and in shape. I want to return to Africa (maybe for an extended period of time) and serve the people there. I want to make a difference in the world, touch as many lives as I can, and do good with the life I have and all that I have been given. And have some fun while I am doing it all.

Do you run on Sundays or do you take a sabbath?
Yes, and yes. I run on Sunday and I take a Sabbath. We do believe that Sunday should be a day of rest and Sundays are our quiet, church and family days. To me, running is a mental and spiritual rest. Sundays are my long runs and I usually go on them alone, and I don't run with music. Being able to go on a long run, knowing the kids are home and taken care of (Sunday is the only day Josh is always home), and just having my thoughts for a couple of hours is rejuvenating and refreshing and quite spiritual to me.  I am home by 9:30am and then I spend the rest of the day at church and relaxing with my family. Sundays are the best days of the week. I know some people don't run on Sunday and that is ok too. I think it's a personal decision, between a runner and God.


That's all for now! Hopefully this wasn't too boring. I still have some more questions to answer and will be finishing them up soon, so if you have anything you wanted to ask leave a comment.

PLEASE CLICK HERE TO DONATE TO MY TEAM MEB FUNDRAISING!

12 comments:

Emz said...

Loving these Erin.
Had to chuckle just a little at the home school question.
Sounds like death to me. Mom of one. ;]

Teamarcia said...

Love it!
I share your #1 regret exactly! Passed up the opportunity to run in school...oh well...

Suz and Allan said...

Thanks for sharing this! It makes me take a completely different outlook on running on Sundays. I always think of it as punishing myself for taking off Friday and Saturday but for that to be the day I do a long run, alone, and without music is a great idea.

I'm still so amazed by all you do with so many children. We could all learn a thing or two from you!

Caroline said...

I am with Emz on the home schooling thing...sounds like death to me too and I have just 2.

I also run on Sundays...sometimes it is my long run also..depends on the family schedule...
I am home by 9 always.

I am like you. no family around. there's days I wish we had some close..you know when I am sick that is the most difficult situation..if Bill cannot help and has to work. I can only imagine how hard that can be for you dear!

Terzah said...

Well, you know, you will always have a free place to stay if you come for the Colorado Marathon--if I still don't qualify for Boston in Houston, the CO Marathon will be my next step. And eventually for the Bolder Boulder...someday...maybe your kids will want to do a giant 10K :^)....

I liked the article about Josh that you linked from your other post. They must be a class act, your sponsors for that. You really got a feel for your family and his character.

LBTEPA said...

not boring at all! And what a lovely article about Josh and your and your family :)

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Nope not boring! Loved reading this!

Cari Mugz said...

I really love learning so much about you... These stent favorite posts!!! You amaze me!

Cari Mugz said...

*stent = are..... stupid stupid iPhone :)

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

wow that was really fun to read! sometimes i don't learn much from questions, but totally did from those.

love how centered you are and how much you are truly enjoying life and thankful for what you have

Tortoise said...

I'm so happy you discovered running. I hope everyone discovers something that makes them as happy as running makes me.

Anonymous said...

awesome blog, do you have twitter or facebook? i will bookmark this page thanks.

My blog:
rachat de credit www.rachatdecredit.net