Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I am...

I love the Runner's World "Quote of the Day". Today's quote, from the amazing Joan Benoit Samuelson, really stuck with me.

"As every runner knows, running is about more than just putting one foot in front of the other; it is about a lifestyle and who we are." 

Is that true for you? Is running just something that you "do", or is it a part of who you are?

I have said many times on here that running is something I love and is also a big part of who I am... a part I was very excited to discover two years ago. And as the quote above says, I think that is something that runners "get", and that non-runners don't usually. People who don't run often just see running as an activity or hobby, not as a life-style or something bigger.

Here is a quick list of things that have changed in my life style and in my life since I became a runner.

- I eat SO much more healthily. I enjoy food, and yet I see food as fuel for my body, and I want to fuel my body well so it will perform well. I no longer eat because I feel excited, stressed, happy, sad, lonely, tired, nervous, or anything else. I eat when I am hungry.

- Along with caring for my family, being the best wife I can be, and putting effort and energy into many other responsibilities and relationships, I think about myself and take care of myself too, instead of being at the very bottom of the priority list every day.

- I am A LOT more confident in a lot of areas. I believe in myself, which I haven't always done.

- My self esteem is up by about 12 million points. ;)

- I am 75 pounds smaller.

- I am a lot more patient.

- I have a spark, a fire, a glow... an awesome inner feeling that comes with having dreams, goals, ambitions and a passion that are mine. And with that, I have a joy that has come from achieving some of the goals I have set, and doing things I never imagined I could do.

- I am calmer and more peaceful.

- My life is a lot better balanced.

- I watch a lot less TV.

- I spend my "me money" on running shoes, running clothes and race entry fees.

- I see myself as an athlete and FEEL like an athlete.

I am sure there are other things I am missing, but the important thing is that running is not just something that I do. It is a lifestyle, and it is a big part of who I am. I am a lot of things... I am a daughter of God, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a friend, an adoption coordinator, a sister, a niece, a granddaughter... and I am a runner.
What about you? When did you become a runner? What changed in your life?

20 comments:

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I think I was always a runner, but what really cranked it up for me was having kids, being out of town and needing an easy way to work out. Turns out I love racing and love the stress it relieves also!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I think I was always a runner, but what really cranked it up for me was having kids, being out of town and needing an easy way to work out. Turns out I love racing and love the stress it relieves also!

JC said...

I loved that quote too. Got me to thinking today about my life style as a whole, which still needs some work.

Awesome pic btw! you look like you're flyin!!

Becky said...

I think I finally started to consider myself a runner when I woke up one day at 2:45 in the morning to get ready to go run a half marathon. I went from being the girl who slept in as long as humanly possible to being the girl who would pay lots of money to wake up BEFORE the crack of dawn to go run for 2+ hours and would actually have fun doing it!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Lovely post. I think I really became a runner in 9th grade when I joined the cross country team and realized that A. I could run and B. It was such a release for me.

Rene' said...

I am loving this post. I almost blogged about this exact quotation today. I think that I have always been a runner, but went back to it when I was having a hard time after my 4th child was born. Running brought me back from despair and has made me a better friend, a better mother and a better wife! ( and I spend all of my me money on running shoes, clothes and race entries too) Happy Tuesday!

LBTEPA said...

I'm lucky that I've always thought of myself as an athlete - sometimes a slower/heavier/more/less in shape athlete but one nonetheless. I would say I started to think of myself as a "runner" around my 3rd or 4th half marathon. I may be a slow, heavy runner but those 4 marathon medals say that runners come in all sizes!

Whitney said...

I just found your site and have been poring through it. I love it. I am a running mom of 9. I've identified myself as a runner for a long time. Probably since I was post partum with my first - 22 years ago. That is when I really started training. Anyway, great site. Congratulations on your big, beautiful family!

Russell said...

I started running 18 months ago, and it's certainly part of what people think if when they think of me. I feel like a runner in extreme weather when people drive by and scoff. I love that feeling!

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

I've always been a sporadic runner. I love to run, but there have been times when I've put everything else in the world first. I've started seriously running again this past January, and I think this time I've realized that it's a part of me, not just something I do to work off those couple of extra pounds or train for a race. When you say you are calmer and more peaceful, I can totally relate to that. Normally a somewhat anxious person, that anxiety and tension seem to melt away for me with a good run. I sleep better, I eat better, and I'm a better person to be around (even though I'm getting out of bed sometimes before 4:00 a.m.!) Oh, that getting up at 4:00 a.m. is also what made me realize recently that, "Huh, I guess I really am a runner." :)

Chris @ Heavy Steps said...

I still think I am becoming a runner. It has been a process to me, but running has changed my life. It has added years to my life. I have found a lot more friends. I am happy. I love what running does for me and how it makes me feel.

I love that quote.

Kerrie T. said...

Great post! Totally a lifestyle. But, yes, it's hard because others don't see it that way...yet. It's only been 2 years for me, too, so maybe in 2-3 more, that'll change. :)

Caroline said...

for me it is 100% lifestyle change.
I lost 73 lbs in about 8 mos.
I am not the same person I was before taking on running 17 mos ago
I became a runner...after crossing the line of my first half marathon and I said " cannot wait to do it again"
I eat different, I make different choices. I feel like I found myself again. After having my kids I got lost. I gave up my carreer as an engineer to be their mom full time. I had post partum twice, I gained a lot of weight. It was a dark period for me. Running is my balance. My family and friends they dont all get it. most dont but I dont really care!!

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

I loved that quote today and starred it in my inbox.

I am a runner and it is definitely my lifestyle and something I am eager to share with others. I have been on my journey to being a runner...it started slowly in college and was with me on and off. But I would say I officially became a runner after my daughter was born and I was jealous of those running on the side of the road when I wasn't. Now it is a huge part of my life.

I want to eat better. I pick the right foods. I think of food as fuel for my body as well and my favorite analogy is focused on fueling my body prior to the marathon is like fueling up your car before a long road trip.

Great post!

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

What a wonderful post. I can relate in so many ways. Yes, running is a part of who I am, not just something that I do. It enhances my life and the way that I live my life, in so many ways. I'm so grateful for the sport of running!

Jen said...

I still struggle with defining myself as a runner, even if others do. I just feel like I am not worthy of the title at times.

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

Great post! I wrote a similar post a while back and just wrote one for a guest posting on another blog today!

Teamarcia said...

Love it! And oh man I love that pic of you--totally badass.
I've always fancied myself a runner from a kid on. There were gobs of years I didn't run at all but I'm so glad I'm back hitting the pavement hard. It's who I am and on some level, who I've always been.

Dina said...

When my husband was getting sent away for training due to military service for 5 months. I had to find something to do with my time or else I was going to go crazy with too much free time. So since I had to stay in shape cause I'm in the military I decided to pick up running. I figure since I had a 11:55 mile and a half that a 5K would be nothing. I was hooked as soon as I took home a first place metal in my age group from my first race.

fancy nancy said...

I feel like my identity as a runner changes as my life changes. Once I became a running mom it changed once again! I agree that running has not only focused me but given me an inner confidence that I CAN do it! Love this! Oh and you look super fast in this picture!!!

Thank you for your supportive post and prayers....perhaps that was what was intended....to bring light to that region through prayers!