Thursday, August 4, 2011

How far do you want to go?

First of all, I ran eight miles today!!! Yay!!! I was so excited to run but really really nervous. I was nervous it would hurt a lot and I wouldn't be able to and I was nervous I would be able to and my achilles would be back to square one after the run. But it was good! My achilles definitely isn't 100% yet, but it is tons better. I could feel it during the run and there was a little tenderness/soreness, but on a pain scale it was never over a two or three, and since I got done it feels pretty good and is not swollen (although I am still icing). So I am pretty excited and hopeful. Four days off felt like an eternity, especially with my next marathon under a month away now (!!!) and I was so happy to be out there running this morning.

I have lots more questions to answer (and will soon), but I got a really good one this morning that I have been thinking about and feel like answering now.  As we were running this morning, Jenny asked me, "How far do you want to go with running?" I get a lot of questions from a lot of people, but when I get a question from Josh, my parents, Jenny, etc. I stop and think on it a lot more than most.

My short answer for her was "I don't know", and that is definitely at least partly true. I don't really know how far I want to go, or how far I will be able to go. I don't have any delusions of grandeur or anything like that... I know I am not making it to the Olympics or the professional level of racing. On the flip side, three years ago I had never run a mile. Less than four months ago I was THRILLED to have a sub-four hour marathon. And now I am hoping to qualify for Boston and have a sub 3:30 marathon in the very near future, and think I will have times even faster than that in me.

I am training hard, enjoying it and seeing great results. I am setting short-term goals and achieving them. I am planning races (marathons) because I love racing.

My "ultimate running goal" is to be a runner for the rest of my life. I have said it before and I mean it... I want to be the little, white-haired old lady lined up at the starting line for races, even if I am no longer fast. I always want to start my days with a run.

Beyond that, I want to get/stay injury free, and I want to keep pushing myself. I want to see how fast I can get this body to go. I want to find what my full potential as a runner is and reach that, whatever it may be. As of now, the marathon is my focus because that is what I really enjoy and where my running heart is.

So to answer "how far do I want to go" -  I want to qualify for Boston (sub 3:45 marathon) and I want a sub 3:30 marathon. When I achieve those goals, I will set myself some more. I would love to be a part of the 50 states marathon club and run a marathon in every state eventually, but I figure I have loads of time to accomplish that.

I love running. I love what it has given me, what is does for me, and how it makes me feel. I love the personal challenge. I love the running community, the support I get from it,  and all of the amazing people I have gotten to know because of running. I love running with my husband and I love running with Jenny and other friends. I love all of the awesome experiences I have had because of running, and look forward to many in the future. I love being a runner.

So how far do I want to go? I guess my real answer is, "as far as I can." :)

How far do YOU want to go?

16 comments:

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

I, too, want to be a runner for life. And I would also love to qualify for Boston someday!!

Rambling Heather said...

I love meeting other lifestyle runners, it makes me giddy. I love how running makes me feel. I'm a happier person and much more patient mommy. :)

www.therawjournalist.com

fancy nancy said...

I'm with you....I want to be that cute wicked old lady that runs all the time!!!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Good thoughts here. I also want or really need to be running for a long long time. It is my sanity..my balance. I'm so much happier when I'm running and if that means taking it easier on my body and not pushing as hard then I'm happy with just running for the love of it (with some hard core stuff thrown in the mix here and there). :) I want to be running when I'm 80!

Laurie said...

I think wanting to be a runner for life is the best goal there is. Races come and go, records get broken, but staying healthy and happy and involved in something you love - that is a priceless gift to yourself and your family!

Lacey Sue said...

amen and amen. My goal with running. To run as long as I can, as far as I can...for all my life ;)!

Tortoise said...

What you said! I want to be a runner for life; so, I plan to just keep running, as long as I can. This definitely puts it into perspective, doesn't it? You will never want to push yourself so hard that you lose the joy of running or end up with a serious injury.

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

I'm glad you are feeling a bit better :)

I want to be that 80 year old at races winning my age group because I'm the only one out there running. That means more to me than going under 3:20!

Teamarcia said...

Looks like there's going to be a bunch of badass old ladies at the starting line years from now! I plan on being there too!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Yes! 8 miles!!! But, your statement about being a runner the rest of your life is key!

LBTEPA said...

I want to go all the way from Australia to Disney World and meet you!

runningonwords said...

I like the runner for life idea! I will never be fast enough to BQ, even though I would secretly love to. Someday I just want to feel ready to take on a marathon.

Terzah said...

I ran 8 miles this morning too--glad I was with you in spirit.

How far do I want to go? I want to qualify for Boston (it's going to take me longer than it will you :^) ), participate in the Pikes Peak Ascent and, when my kids are older and travel better, immerse myself in the trail running scene. I want to run until I drop. I want to run in the rain, the snow, the wind and even (not so often) the heat and sun. And I'm so psyched that I will get to run with (or behind!) you at least once. :^)

Cari Mugz said...

I thought about you today..

Awesome 8 miles!!!!

The Best Answer Ever!

I just LOVE your blog :)

Andrea H. said...

I LOVE the third to last paragraph. I am starting to feel the love for running come on with a vengence. I KNOW we will see you go very, very far. BTW, whenever you answer your questions, my questions is what was your clothes size and what is it now?

Arbrasgallery said...

Very nice body and good health i wish you and lovely pick. Thanks for sharing us.