Sunday, August 7, 2011

20 success!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I ran 20 miles this morning. (INSERT GIANT SMILEY FACE HERE)

I was supposed to run 20 miles last Sunday, but half a mile into the run I went home and called it a day because my Achilles was hurting and I knew 20 miles wasn't happening and it would be stupid to try.

After four full days off followed by three days of short and slow (for me) mileage and TONS of icing, stretching, and praying, the Achilles was MUCH improved. I wasn't sure if it was up for 20 miles though, and I am so determined not to be the stupid girl who ran a minor injury into a major one.

I have only 27 days until the Pocatello Marathon though, and I really wanted to get in two more 20 milers. I was feeling so good after yesterday's run that I decided to go for it cautiously this morning. I prepped myself like I was going 20 miles (had three gels, a full bottle of Accelerade and an IPOD since Jenny had other plans) and then I planned a route that had me running two out and backs of 10 miles each from my house, so I was never more than five miles from home and I would have to go past the house at mile 10. Mentally that is no fun, but I figured it was smart because if I was hurting after 10 miles I could call it good, and if I was hurting anywhere in between, I was never too far from the house. (And I was 100% committed to stopping if it felt any worse at all during the run).

I was really nervous for most of the run! I so wanted to be able to run the full 20 miles and I was worried I wouldn't be able to, and I was worried that I was going to make my Achilles mad... I am not usually a worrier but I was worried!

That said, it was a really great run! I was aware of the Achilles (probably extra so since I was so focused on it) but it was not painful and it did not get any worse as the run went on. My form and stride aren't altered at all and everything else felt awesome. The pace actually came really easily, which surprised me since half of the run was uphill. I average an 8:40 pace for the run (my long run pace is 8:19-9:19).

I finished feeling tired of course, but strong and REALLY REALLY happy. Yesterday's run did a lot for my confidence and today's run did even more. I am going to be SO ready for Pocatello and am so excited to see what I can do.

I said it before and I will say it again... running makes me really happy. :)

Now back to icing and watching triathlon on TV.

Happy Sunday and good luck/congrats to everyone racing today!!!

21 comments:

Mallory said...

Way to go on your run!! 20 miles is awesome!!!

Terzah said...

Great job! I love the feeling of 20 (especially when it's a nice 20--is that an oxymoron?).

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

Way to go. Glad you are feeling better!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

Glad to hear you've taken it cautiously. Seems to have paid off, wouldn't ya' say?! So happy you made it the full 20 miles.

And it's no wonder running makes you happy. It's one of the few ways you can get high on drugs and not be illegal. =P

LBTEPA said...

EXCELLENT!!!!!

Penny said...

That is awesome Erin. So glad you had a great 20 miler.

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

YAY for you!

Allison said...

GREAT run!!!

fancy nancy said...

Way to rock those 20 miles!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting points. Thanks!

My site:
rachat de credit www.rachatdecredit.net

bobbi said...

YAY!!! So glad your achilles was cool - GREAT job!

Chris @ Heavy Steps said...

Glad it went so well!

JC said...

woohoo! yay for a cooperating achilles! :)

Lacey Sue said...

AWESOME!!! That is wonderful!! Congrats on the run, and HURRAY on your achilles working with you!! :)
visit me @ http://notyouraveragerunningmom.blogspot.com/

Caroline said...

fantastic Erin...you must be relieved that you had no pain.things are looking good for your next marathon!!!

Becky said...

My achilles has been hurting since my half marathon and I am hoping and praying the pain will go away so that I can run my first full marathon in 6 weeks. I missed a 16 miler this weekend and I am so not okay with that! Here's hoping your luck wears off on me! :)

Cari Mugz said...

Whooo Hooo! So HAPPY for your.

Running pain free is Awesome, especially 20 Freaking MILES!!

So proud of you!!!!

And so fast too.. you are my HERO

Margs @ Faster Bunny said...

ahhh always so nice to read about people really enjoying their runs! And glad the achilles cooperated.

Molly said...

yahooo!!!! That's so great your achilles is behaving, nice job!

Amanda@runninghood said...

YOu are awesome! This is a great pace girl! and wow, your blog is growing! Hey, I need your address please...if you still want a sticker. Thanks for wanting one. :) amandaodum46@gmail.com

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

I love your attitude so much. I don't think I've said yet that I am going to do good during this marathon....I think I am so nervous about it, I'm not realizing that I am doing everything I could to make it successful. I love reading your blog....