Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Plans

I had to switch a few runs around because tomorrow we have to go to the children's hospital (six hour round trip) for a couple of appointments and to have Noah's gj tube button changed. We are having it done under sedation this time. It will make the appointment take longer but should be much less traumatic for him (fingers crossed).

Josh decided we will all go down (and he and the other kids will do something fun during the appointments and then we will all do something fun together when we are done at the hospital). Since summer goes by way too fast we are trying to make the most of it.

Anyway... I was supposed to do 6 miles this morning, tempo run tomorrow, off on Friday and I am running a half marathon on Saturday. We have to get out of here really early tomorrow, so I decided to do the tempo run today, take tomorrow off, do six miles really easy on Friday and then race on Saturday. (I always feel a lot better on race day if I have an easy run the day before so this works well anyway).

My run this morning was 10 miles with four miles at tempo pace. The tempo miles (miles 6, 7, 8 and 9) were at 7:25, 7:22, 7:23 and 7:11. This is faster than last week and I felt great, so I was pretty dang happy when I got home and checked out my splits.

The half I am running on Saturday is the Star Valley Half Marathon,  a local race (the first half marathon here ever) and it is being held to honor Jeremy Kunz, a man that was hit and killed by a drunk driver during a Las Vegas Ragnar (his family is from here).  You can see a really nice video clip about the race and the story here (and some clips of the beautiful course!)

How awesome does the elevation profile look??

I am really, really excited about this race. There will be tons of friends and people we know, I get to sleep in my own bed the night before since it is so close to home, and I plan to run my guts out. :)

I have only done one half marathon before. I have done three full marathons, but only one half. My time in that first half was 2:04, but it was almost a year ago. I have done tons of training since then.

My goal is to be sub 1:50, although I would really love to be under 1:45. A lot will probably hinge on my stomach and if I can get by with just one "pitstop" or not. I hate that I lose time in my races to stomach issues but thus far I have not found a magic cure so I just deal with it the best I can. I am really hoping it isn't too warm on Saturday since I am such a heat wimp (and wish we were starting at 7am instead of 8am). No matter what I plan on racing this half, and running it hard. I plan to go out at an 8:20-8:30 pace and picking up the pace as I go. I love the feeling I have when I am running hard and pushing it to the limit... I felt like that during my Ragnar runs and during my recent speed workouts. I am looking forward to racing on Saturday!

Josh is running it too and right now his race plan is (in his words) "to try and keep up with you". Should be a blast!!!

More soon. :)

11 comments:

Becky said...

That race looks amazing, and what a great way to honor Jeremy. Such a sad story!

Good luck on your half!

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

good luck at your race! no doubt you will be sub 1:50! you are fast!!

Molly said...

I have a feeling you're going to crush it! Good Luck!

Chris @ Heavy Steps said...

I think you will suprise yourself with a new PR! You will do amazing! Good luck and have fun. You will rock it!

I will be thinking of you when I will be running my 13 miles.

Terzah said...

Stupid stomach--I hope it does NOT interfere at all with the massive PR you are going to set. You'll set one even if it does, but I want you to be able to fly. That elevation profile...about as good as it gets! Have fun! And I hope all goes excellently with Noah.

LBTEPA said...

good luck and have a great time :)

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

You are going to crush the half. Just saying.

Penny said...

You are going to do great. I bet you will get that 1.45. You rock girlfriend. Josh will have his work cut out for him. Good Luck Josh keeping up with Erin. Good Luck the two of you on your race.I hope everything goes well with Noah.

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

What an awesome race course!

Bruce said...

I really like how you don't make excuses in your training. You see what needs to be done and adjust your training accordingly. Way to make it work!

Candice @ I Have Run said...

If you find the magic stomach cure, please let me know!!

Have fun and run hard!! You will do AWESOME! Can't wait for the recap.