Friday, July 15, 2011

Opposites

Any runners stay up to see the midnight showing of Harry Potter? I love Harry Potter and all, but I just wasn't going to give up a night of sleep for a movie. Maybe that makes me old, or a party pooper, or an athlete that takes herself too seriously. :) And, truth be told, I am kind of more excited about the new Winnie the Pooh movie. I heart Pooh Bear.

Ok, on to running stuff.

Yesterday's run and today's run were total opposites.

The temps were the same and the weather was the same... other than that, TOTAL opposite runs.

Yesterday's run was a 10 miler with 4 miles at tempo pace. Jenny and I started off together (ran five miles together at about an 8:45 pace) and then I had to "take off" on my tempo miles. At the beginning of the run I was a little worried that my legs wouldn't show up for the tempo part of the run. At 4.5 miles into the run I told Jenny I was a little worried that my legs weren't going to "go" when I said "go". She told me they would. I still had my doubts.

My Garmin beeped at mile five and I took off for my four tempo miles. I kept telling myself that in less than half an hour it would be over and to just RUN. My goal pace for tempo miles now is 7:07- 7:25. I was able to get into the right pace zone right away but I could also tell right away that it just wasn't going to come easily that day. It didn't.

The first two miles of the tempo run were mostly flat, and then the last two miles were uphill (not huge hills at all, but enough of an incline that it made a hard pace even harder). The last mile had the steepest incline, I had turned a corner and the rising sun was shining in my face,  and honestly, I think that was the hardest mile I have ever run. The devil on my shoulder was saying, "Your plan says 3-4 miles at tempo pace so you don't have to finish this last mile." And the runner who really wants to run a 3:30 marathon said, "I don't quit on workouts. I don't give up mid-run. I am going to finish this mile even though it is really freaking hard!"

I finished, and the paces for the tempo miles were 7:10, 7:19, 7:19, 7:15. I walked/jogged back to Jenny and we cooled down together. I usually recover really quickly but I was BEAT. I got home and laid on the bed by Josh and just felt sick to my stomach and wiped OUT. I had some chocolate soy milk and my oatmeal and felt better as the day went on, but I was still just exhausted. It was a great run... I nailed my (fast!) paces, I didn't give in when I really wanted to and I finished strong... but it kicked my butt!

Last night we rented a movie to watch with our big kids (Source Code... everyone loved it!) and I didn't even try. I took out my contacts, got my blanket and was out cold curled up next to Josh before 9pm. 

I woke up this morning feeling awesome, and Jenny and I went on a super easy five mile run. I left Bob (my Garmin) at home, didn't wear a watch, didn't care which way we went, and didn't have a care in the world. The cool temps, the slowish pace, and time with my best friend were all perfect. It was also a great run, but for totally different reasons than yesterday's run. It was easy and fun and left me rejuvenated in a few different ways.

Every morning I get up and put on my running shoes and just never know what that day's run will bring, but I am always glad I went and I do believe that every run makes me better.

I have eight miles (easy pace) tomorrow and then my first 20 miler of this training plan on Sunday. I am looking forward to it.

Josh never did email me those race pics yesterday but he promised he will today so I will post those soon, and I got tagged by the awesome  Molly with the Awesome Blogger award and now have a fun post to do for that. I also had a reader email me with some marathon training questions that I am going to answer in a post very soon, so if you have any marathon training questions feels free to leave them in a comment or email me and I will add them to the post.

Happy Friday everybody and Happy Running!

12 comments:

Mallory said...

Great job on your runs!! Sometimes we just have to tell the mental part to STFU!!! :) Way to go.

Julie said...

What a great tempo run!! Glad you didn't listen to the devil on your shoulder. Your "3:30 marathon you" thoughts were EXACTLY how we came up with design for our "I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I'm done!" gym towel. GO YOU!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Carol says: you are awesome! My co- worker shared your blog with me about 8 months ago. As a social worker who works with kids in foster care- I try to help find adoptive homes- and as a runner- I love your blog! I am training for my first marathon- your trainer ran it and blogged that it was difficult! It is the freedom run in WV- where I live. I am following the Hal higdon i- 1 plan- so far it has been good. Weather had been hot and muggy so the long runs have been tough. Keep up the great work and post! Keeps me going too!!!

giraffy said...

I love when a run feels GOOD :D. Awesome :)

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

Awesome job on your tempo run! Keep up the great work.

And Winnie the Pooh just may be my daughter's first visit to a movie theater!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Great job on the tempo, those are ones that I really need to work on. I am good at intervals but tempos really get to me mentally.

Heather Elliott @ the desire to run said...

I am so jealous of your run today. I am waiting for the day that I just real enjoy a fun and effortless run.

Some day I'll look back and laugh at how I struggled with 5 miles....

Jen said...

way to push through it and not listen to the little devil on your shoulder. I wish I had a 10th of your determination....I need to work more towards pushing through.

JC said...

Woo! Awesome runs, both of em! I am with you on that passing out before 9pm thing :)

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

ok glad I read this today, you really inspired me to push tomorrow on my run!!

Nope not a midnight movie goer either...I liek sleep

Molly said...

nice run!

I am so behind on the HP movies, I loved the books though!

Chris @ Heavy Steps said...

Great run!

I cannot wait to have those good runs. Right now all of mine are kind of like that last mile.. I want to give up but have to just push. I know I will get there! GREAT JOB!