Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Numbers!

I am a numbers girl. I have always been very good at math. My check book is always balanced. I get on the scale regularly. I need to know what time it is. I like to have a training plan. I like to see my splits after a run. I like numbers. Here are some bullet points with numbers.

15 - As of today, this is the number of years I have been married to the greatest guy ever. Life is so very, very good.

8 - the number of 800M repeats I did yesterday for Track Tuesday. I did a half mile warm up, half mile cool down and quarter mile rest intervals in between each one (6.75 miles total). It was a tough work out! My body didn't feel sore or tired after the half this weekend, but mentally the 800s were tough. I nailed them all though. My target time for each 800 was 3:04-3:21 and my times were 3:10, 3:09, 3:10, 3:09, 3:10, 3:09, 3:07, 3:10. It was tough, but a confidence builder when I was done for sure.

3:24:47 - This is the time that McMillan predicts I can run a marathon in based on my half time this weekend! I took the 1 minute and 12 seconds I lost in the portapotty off my half time to figure the numbers for what I actually ran (I ran the half at an average pace of 7:24) and put that in the calculator, and it predicts a 3:24:47 marathon. Holy crud! That scares and excites me all at the same time. I bumped up all of my training paces to the new paces given by McMillan for this new time, and it is all doable and in the range of what I was already doing so I am feeling very hopeful and excited about a sub 3:30 marathon. I can't believe I am saying that, but I am believing and working towards that goal!

9/12 - This is the date that registration opens for the Boston Marathon this year. Six months ago, I truly and honestly did not think that qualifying for Boston was a realistic goal for me. Now I am feeling confident, and even hoping/expecting to be quite a bit under the time I need to qualify (this year I would need a 3:45 to qualify).

9/17 - This is the date of the Top of Utah Marathon, which I am registered to run (and excited to run with several friends!) and is the race I have been planning on trying to BQ at. However, since the registration for the Boston Marathon open earlier this year, there is a good chance that registration could be full before I even race on Sept. 17th. I had been saying that I would be ok if I didn't actually "run" Boston and that I would be happy to just qualify, but someone awesome (who keeps telling me to Dream BIG), said that with all the work I have been putting in to qualify for Boston, I should at least have a chance to run the race. The more I thought about it, the more I realized she is right. For a non-professional, non-elite, non-Olympic caliber marathoner, this is the most competitive race I can earn entry into and be a part of. I want in! So....

9/3 - is the date that I will be running the Idaho State Journal Pocatello Marathon!! Last year I ran the 1/2 at this race (my first half) and it was great. Everything went very smoothly and was very well organized, it was loads of fun, and the swag was great. (Seriously... along with the great shirt, real back pack and other goodies, you get a bag of potatoes!) The course isn't quite as nice as TOU, but it is still a mostly downhill course and it is pretty close to home. Jenny can't run TOU because it is her anniversary that day and she has wanted to do a full marathon, so she is going to run Pocatello too (her first!!!) so I am super excited.

2 - The number of marathons I will be running in 14 days. Woo hoo! This will earn me Marathon Maniac status which makes me feel pretty darn cool (silly, I know!), and will give me two opportunities to qualify for Boston. If I do really well in Pocatello and qualify, then I will just run TOU for fun, and if Pocatello doens't go as well as I hope, I will race TOU. I have recovered very very quickly from all of my other marathons so I am not worried at all about doing two so close together. I am actually crazy excited. :)

$1525 - this is the amount of money I still need to raise for Team MEB and the NYC Marathon on November 6.  If you donate here I will be grateful forever and you will be entered to win tons of great stuff.

12- The number of kids who really want breakfast now, so my computer time is up for the moment.  I got to see some FUN pics from the race on Saturday last night while I was at the newspaper office and Josh is supposed to email them to me so I will post when I get them. Have a great Wednesday everybody!

15 comments:

Becky said...

I'm running Top of Utah as well. And it's my first and I am NERVOUS!!

You inspire me--watching your running times drop like that have makes me realize that perhaps someday I will reach my big big dreams that I currently think are just a pipe dream. Love it!

Julie said...

I still have mind boggling going on imagining getting breakfast ready for 12!

Your times are so fast and inspiring!!

Michelle said...

I just qualified for Boston on May 1st in Eugene with a 3:41:16 (needed a 3:45). Sounds like with your numbers, you've got it made! I'm a lot like you....I teeter totter about Boston. I'm pretty content to just say that I even qualified. On the other hand, I'm your average mommy and this would be quite the opposite to go to Boston! We'll see..... Can't wait to follow your marathons!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

I'm really excited for you. I'm sure you'll crush both marathons and be packing your bags for Boston!

Samantha said...

You are amazing! I hope you realize that to achieve the caliber of running you have in such a short time is a phenomenal feet and extremely uncommon! Awesome!

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

I can't wait to read your Boston race recap. You WILL get there! :)

Mallory said...

I love numbers too!!! Happy anniversary!

Laura said...

Can't wait to hear about the races.
I have trouble feeding my cats and getting myself out the door in the morning....

Molly said...

I totally think you can qualify for Boston!!

Terzah said...

I love how you set this post up--with the hidden surprise!! I am so excited for you, but I think you qualify as a "Marathon Maniac" anyway. :^) And I'm glad you're going to do TOU even if you do qualify in Idaho.

Chris @ Heavy Steps said...

Wow! That is going to be a lot of fun! Good luck! My brother served his mission in Pocatello. You will have a great race!

Andrea H. said...

You still blow me away and are my super hero more and more by the day. I really loved reading the post about the numbers because I am a number girl too. The Boston Marathon sounds so amazing. You must be so excited about it.

Sporty Girl Jewelry said...

It sounds like you are on track to qualify. Good luck! And marathon maniac? Awesome.

I love that you have adopted - we are at the very beginning of our adoption journey and love seeing families who are there.

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

this is so so amazing. i can't wait for your marathons and totally understand the combined feeling of being excited/scared...but YAY for dreaming big and GOING AFTER IT. You are going to rock it and i cannot wait to read all about it. you - your running - your mothering - your being a personing - all so inspiring :o)

The Green Girl said...

I was impressed by your 15 years together and then I got distracted by your potential marathon finish time. Amazing, girl!