Monday, July 4, 2011

FUN fun fun

Water parks are crazy fun. We had a total blast! Everything this weekend went smoothly and was just lots and lots of fun. A weekend away with my family with nothing to do but play was much needed and much enjoyed!

I did get my 10 mile run in on Friday night before we left (which made for 16 miles total ran on Friday). Josh and I went together which was great. It was really warm when we left but was chilly by the time we got home. I took Saturday as my day off since we had to leave really early.

We left early on Saturday with a three hour road trip, broken up with breakfast at McDonalds (oatmeal isn't bad at all), then got to the water park just as it was opening. We spent the entire day at the park (until they closed) and all of the kids LOVED it. They went down slide after slide after slide, and then would go hang out in the wave pool, and then back to the slides. They were all super brave and just couldn't get enough. Even Noah (our little two year old with special needs) loved the wave pool and had a lot of fun. And of course Josh (my biggest child) thoroughly enjoyed himself going on the biggest, fastest slides.

The kids were really (REALLY) well behaved. There was no whining or complaining at all and the big kids were great about pairing up with the little kids on some of the slides. At the end of the day everyone was exhausted, but very happy. :) We stopped and had a quick dinner, and then checked into the hotel. After showers everyone was sound asleep in record time!

I got up early and ran on the gym treadmill the next morning. When I got back I expected everyone to be up, but the rooms were just as dark and quiet as they had been when I left. Those kids slept and slept and slept. Nothing tires kids out like water and sun. :) When they were all finally up, they were STARVING (nothing makes kids hungry like water and sun!) so we went to the Golden Corral where they ate and ate and ate and ate and ate. Marcus, who is 7 and is not usually one of my bigger eaters, had one brownie too many and then exclaimed "I am so full I think I am going to have a baby!"

After breakfast/lunch  at Golden Corral, Josh and the kids went to see the new Transformers movie and Noah and I did some shopping. Noah is vision impaired so movies aren't too fun for him. But we had fun shopping! ;)

After the movie we started on our way home, and split up the drive with a stop in the middle to pick up fireworks (yay!!) and have a quick dinner at Wendy's. Then we let our oldest, Sadies, drive the last hour home. She has her permit and needs to get 50 hours of driving done. She did a great job!

We do a lot with our kids and they have traveled quite a bit. Josh and I have always said that we want to do everything with 12 kids that we would do if we only had 2 or 3 kids. We may  not get to do things as often (because of the cost) but we enjoy traveling and going out as a family. As you can probably imagine we draw a lot of attention with 14 of us and one in a wheelchair, but we always get lots of compliments on how well-behaved the kids are. I so enjoy my family and love them so much. They are the greatest!!

This morning was an eight mile run with Jenny which was great, and now we are going to have a lazy day and then fireworks tonight.

Happy Fourth everybody!!! Good luck to everyone racing today!

And thanks to all of you who commented on my last post about the lion and the gazelle. I love reading your comments. Very cool! I will share my thoughts later today or in the morning.

AND, only two days until I draw the next winner in my Giant Fundraising Giveaway! There are still over $600 worth of prizes available, including Yurbuds, Flex buds from H20 Audio, an awesome skirt from Running Skirts, three awesome shirts from Tri It Wear, and a bunch more, and winners get to choose their prizes. You can still get in on the action at this post here. Thanks!!!

9 comments:

JC said...

hahah that comment from Marcus made me laugh out loud. Poor kid! sounds like a BLAST. :)

Cory Reese said...

Great job on the miles!

I'm going to have to try McDonalds oatmeal. I've heard it's good.

{lifeasa}RunningMom said...

The McDonalds oatmeal is good but I just ask for it with out the brown sugar. It is sweet enough with the dried fruit!

Your family outing sounds fantastic!!

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time! Happy 4th!!

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

Sounds like a wonderful couple of days. There is nothing, NOTHING better than time with family. :)

Terzah said...

I can't wait until the days my kids are big enough to enjoy a water park with all the slides! Maybe I should try sooner rather than later, given that Noah had a good time, too....Cold water sounds great. It's hot here right now!

Happy 4th!

Her Name Is Rio said...

Sounds like a great time! Happy 4th to you as well!

Mallory said...

You are AMAZING! I am impressed that you got all that running in even while traveling! I'm glad your kids (and hubby!) enjoyed the park so much. I think it's great!

Chris @ Heavy Steps said...

Glad it went well. Just wish my 3 would be that well behaved! :)