Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Raising the Bar

Happy National Running Day!!You have to love a day that celebrates running. I am grateful every day for all that running has given me and I am proud to say that I AM A RUNNER! :)  (Today is also my beautiful Amanda's 10th birthday.  And the sun is shining. Yay!)
  
"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten."- Tony Robbins


I love love love this quote. I have seen it in several places lately on the internet and it really sums up the way I am feeling about my running and training, and the excitement I have to raise the bar and have a new plan. I have definitely been progressing in endurance and in my speed and I successfully finished three marathons in four and a half months following Hal Higdon's training plans,  but with my training for the Top of Utah Marathon just around the corner, I decided to shake things up a bit.


At this point I know I can run a marathon. I know I can run a marathon without hitting the wall. I know I can run the whole thing without walking. I know I can feel physically and mentally strong the whole way. I know I can run a marathon in under four hours. (I know there is no guarantee that I will be able to do these things every time I try, but I know I "can").

Now I want to know if I can qualify for Boston. I want to know if I can push harder and get faster. I want to know if I can get better. I believe I can, I am ready to put the work in, and I am excited to try.

Ragnar Wasatch Back is in 16 days, and then after that weekend, I will start my awesome new marathon training, courtesy of my awesome new coach! Do you know Dorothy Beal at Mile Posts? If you don't read her blog you should... she is a young mom, a super fast runner, a RRCA certified coach, and just a beautiful, faithful, inspirational person. We connected online and she offered to coach me, and I gladly took her up on the offer. Her marathon PR is a 3:21 (and she ran her first in 4:28), so I know she knows about getting fast.

She put together a great training plan for me. She asked me about what I have done, what I have liked, what I haven't, what kind of mileage I like, how many days I wanted to run, what kind of goals I have, etc. etc. She listened to what I had to say and then also asked me to trust her and try something new, so that is what I am doing. :) She also said she thinks I can run a 3:39. At first it sounded crazy to me, but I am trusting her and feeling confident in myself.

My training plan has me running six days a week (she threatened me if I didn't take a day off a week... I promised I would). I will be running 50-60 miles a week, with 6-8 miles (recovery) on Mondays, track workouts on Tuesdays (these look killer, but I am excited), easy 5-6 miles on Wednesdays, 8-10 mile tempo runs (or the occasional marathon pace run) on Thursdays, Fridays off, 6-8 miles on Saturday, and long runs on Sundays. She gave me paces for each run, and we will be chatting at the end of each week to evaluate and make changes if needed.

It will be challenging but I am excited for it. And I am excited to see what I am able to do and to shake things up.

Happy National Running Day! Get out there and get some miles run. :)

Do you know what would be an awesome way to celebrate National Running Day? Enter to win a super awesome RUN Hoodie and help support a great cause - one that helps kids have opportunities to be active and healthy. Check out my RUN Hoodie giveaway here and please help spread the word. Thanks!!

10 comments:

fancy nancy said...

Wow!!! That sounds like intense training but you are so strong!!! Next year I know I'll be watching for you along the route!!!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

You are going to do awesome. I can't wait to see how this plan works for you!

Jennifer Cotter said...

This is so exciting!! I can feel your enthusiasm in the words that you write. Can't wait to follow you as you achieve this goal!

Janice {Run Far} said...

So awesome that she designed a plan just for you. YAY!!!

I haven't run TOU but my sister did, and several friends have. I heard it's gorgeous and killer on the quads.

Terzah said...

That's wonderful! Nothing like a new plan to raise the bar. I'm going to have a similar post later...but I still think I'm just going to have be sucked along by your wake. :^)

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

Woa!!! Thats sounds intense but I like it. I want to check out her blog. I am looking so forward to hearing your progress! You definitely are raising the bar!

Alicia said...

So cool that Dorothy made a training plan for you. You are right- she is definitely the girl to go to for advice on how to get fast. Can't wait to see how it works for you!

Her Name Is Rio said...

Good luck with your new training plan! And Happy national Running Day to you!

Mallory said...

How cool!! Best of luck with your new plan!!! You can do it!

H Love said...

what marathon do you have your eye on?? p.s. you are a rock star!