Sunday, June 26, 2011

Out of the ordinary (times three)

It has been a good running weekend. :)

Yesterday I had an 8 mile run on the schedule. I also had signed up to run Adam's Sweat Your Thorns Off 5K.  Adam lives in Phoenix, so he really is sweating off his thorns and other body parts. Lucky for me, it was 42 degrees F when I left my  house yesterday morning and almost 50 when I got home from my run. PERFECT.  (For those of you who are jealous remember... it was still snowing a couple of weeks ago).

I ran four miles at my Saturday pace ("easy" pace according to coach Dorothy!) and then ran the second four miles faster. I didn't go all out and race it since I had a long run today and had already done speed work twice this week, but it was fun. I finished the 5K portion of my run in 22:59. I didn't print my race bib because my printer is out of ink and my camera was m.i.a. so I didn't get any pictures. Sorry! Major technology fail on this one! Thanks Adam for hosting. :)  (If you don't read Adam's blog, go check it out. He is super funny, runs fast and has a really cute baby).

This morning I had a 14 mile run on the schedule and I set out on my own around 6:45am. My target pace for long runs this training cycle is 8:50-9:50 and I finished with an average pace of 9:05, so I am happy with that. Everything felt good and it was a pretty uneventful run except for three things -

1. I almost got hit by a bike! This guy rides his bike a lot around here. Everyone knows him and has seen him, and he does the same long, hard route a few times a week. He rides really far, and up over big mountain passes. AND HE RIDES IN WRANGLER JEANS. I am not making this up people. And he has a full,  big bushy beard. Not the guy you would ever pick out as a cyclist. But he is super impressive with how far and fast he goes and the mountains he is riding over. (Imagine if he had some bike shorts?)  I never get more than a "hi" out of him, but he has chatted with Josh some.

Anyway, we cross paths fairly often and we have never had an issue. I saw him coming for quite a ways (we were on a long, straight, stretch of highway), and I got all the way left to the edge of road and grass. We were in a spot with a really nice and wide shoulder. I kept my eye on him and noticed he wasn't moving over like he usually does. He got closer, closer, closer and showed no signs that he wasn't going to plow me over. His head was bent down and he was working hard at getting up the hill and seemed to be looking down instead of ahead of him, and he really just didn't see me. At the last minute I jumped down into the grass... scared the heck out of him I think. He apologized and waved and then kept on going. Crazy!

2. There was SOMEONE IN MY PORTAPOTTY. At 7:20am on a Sunday. In the middle of nowhere. Seriously??? There is a portapotty that sits out at one of the little rural post offices that is about 4.5 miles from my house. The (very old) building has no running water and no bathroom, so they put a portapotty outside. It is SUPER handy for my selfish running reasons. :) Anyway, I have never ever even seen a single soul when I have stopped to use it before (and the post office is closed on Sundays), and there were no cars around, so you can imagine my surprise when I went to open the door and a man's voice yelled out.

A young guy came out and said he was waiting for a ride. I apologized and said that there wasn't ever anyone around this early in the morning on a Sunday and he laughed. WEIRD. Even weirder is that an hour later when I went by again, he was still sitting in front of the closed post office.

3. - Josh came to check on me. Josh NEVER comes to check on me. (Ok, once last year when I hurt myself and Jenny and I were way late getting home he came and rescued us).  If you read my last post you know I got stuck in a crazy thunder and lightning storm earlier this week (hail, wind, thunder that shook the house, lightning, etc.) and my knight in shining armor did NOT come to rescue me. But this morning, on a bright, sunny, perfect morning I noticed a van that looked a lot like ours headed my way (and lets face it... not that many people drive a gray Chevy 15 passenger van. I know you are jealous. Try to contain yourselves).

I was totally in the time window I told him I would be and was moving a long at a good pace (and was just two miles from home at that point). I gave him a "what the heck" shoulder shrug and he waved, turned around and headed back home. When I got home, he said he had had a nightmare that I had been hit by a car and was laying in a culvert, and he just couldn't relax until he came and made sure I was ok. Poor guy! I told him the bearded-denim-wearing bike man tried to wipe me out, but that I was totally fine. And I am SO careful with the cars. Poor Josh though. I hate dreams like that. But I love that he loves me. :)

Anything out of the ordinary happen on your run today?

13 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

So weird that all of those "out of the ordinary" things all happend in the same run. How cute that Josh couldn't relax till he checked on you. What a weird morning for you.

Well, our long run has been post-poned for 2 days in a row now.... serious thunder storms in our area for 2 days. I don't mind rain, but lighenting... no thanks. So hopefull we will be able to make it up tomorrow morning.

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

Haha! I have a portapotty like that, too. It would freak me out if somebody was ever in it. That's sweet that Josh did that. :)

Amanda@runninghood said...

ha ha, this made me laugh...the person in your portapotty. And the bike...crazy! Nothing out of the ordinary for me really...my husband video taped me at one point during our 10 miles because I didn't have pen and paper and had all these ideas for this piece of writing I'm doing for an application and I didn't want to forget so he taped me talking. :) NOt ordinary.

runnerwannabe said...

How sweet! It's nice that he came to check on you. Weird about the bearded guy in wranglers! And the portapotty! I wouldn't have been able to go if there had been someone there. I have a problem with people being able to hear me! LOL! Sounds like a really interesting run you had there!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

I bet you'll find the portapotty dude sending a text on Textsfromlastnight.com saying something, "Um i'm at the porta potty on rt 6 how did I end up here?" LOL.

LBTEPA said...

Aww that is so cute about Josh coming to check on you. The only funny thing that happens on my long runs when I start in the dark is that I nearly run into the goat tethered by the rail trail - they put it in a different place each time!

lindsay said...

Very weird about the portapotty occupant! And wrangler jeans dude! That just sounds uncomfortable...

I should be able to give your giveaway a shoutout, I just gotta remember :)

misszippy said...

You have your share of interesting characters out there! And you saw them all in one run. You need to get a picture of Wrangler jeans guy for us.

Terzah said...

Hmm, let's see....anything unusual on my run? No, but there were a lot of the usual Boulder things...getting passed by an elite-looking dude in a singlet...lots of people walking by the creek (does anyone else work in this town?)....the Renaissance camp kids in the park at the mouth of the canyon practicing with foam swords....My husband never checks on me either, but he's not awake at that time. :^)

Kevin said...

totally jealous about the weather you run in... and yikes about the porta-potty.

Danielle said...

Omg that portapotty thing would totally have freaked me out! And how sweet of hubby to come looking for you. You are loved :)

Adam said...

Thanks for running the race!!! Although, less than 50 degrees!?!?! That is awesome.

I had to laugh about the port o potty story. Imagine what that other person thought!

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

yaya - I love being coach Dorothy - hehe - this made my day!