Tuesday, June 7, 2011

One THOUSAND miles

Today I ran my 1,000th mile in 2011. Woo hoo! Since Jan. 1 this year I have now run 1,001 miles. (Now I have that silly song stuck in my head, "Cause I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more... just to be the man, who walked a thousand miles to fall down at your door....")

This morning was also my very first "Track Tuesday". I did a lot of intervals and speed work throughout the winter and my training for the SLC marathon, but I did it all on the treadmill. This was the first time I actually did a track workout on the track... ever. 

We have quite a few ladies here in our little community that run (at all different levels) so I invited a bunch of them to come to Track Tuesday. I figured it would be fun having more people out there and we would all be "together" even if we were doing our own workouts and running at our own paces. Five of us showed up, and I hope everyone had fun. I am going to start going every Tuesday morning and I hope we can get a group to keep coming. It was fun to do something different.

My plan for today's workout was to run a one mile warm-up, then do six 800M repeats with a 400M rest lap in between each repeat, and then a mile cool-down. My goal time for the repeats was 3:21-3:36 (a 6:41 to 7:12 pace).

I had a little trouble with my Garmin (first time I used Coach Bob for an interval workout) but I have all the kinks worked out now and am ready to go next time. :) I nailed the work out though, and each interval was at about a 6:35-6:45 pace, with my last one being at 6:32 pace.

Track workouts are HARD. I got done and told Jenny, "Well, I didn't throw up" (because I was on the verge for a minute or two). And my dear sweet best friend said, "That would have been awesome". LOL. Something to shoot for I guess! :)

I did love how springy and soft the track felt, and I wore my new Brooks Green Silence for the whole work out and they felt amazing. 

Despite feeling like I might barf near the end of the workout, I am pretty happy with how quickly I recover now... I ran my last mile to cool down with Jenny and I was able to chat with her and breathe like a normal person pretty quickly. Jenny and I have noticed the same thing with running hills... it is a lot easier and we recover much more quickly than we did last year.

I ended up running just over six miles total today. I didn't realize I had hit my 1000th mile though until I got home and added it to my mileage tally.  Pretty cool.

Yesterday I did another "two a day" which was fun too. Jenny and I did six miles in the morning up the canyon. Three miles of tough hills and then three miles of fun on the way out. With Ragnar just over a week away the hill running (up and down) is good practice for us. Then later in the afternoon I went out and did an easy 3.25 loop around the block (our blocks are big out here). :) It is definitely good for me to get used to running in warmer temps too. With all our early morning running, even in the summer it is rarely warmer than 50 degrees. I do enjoy the two-a-days and think for the summer I will use them in my training 2-3 times a week (once school is back in that will be harder to do).

Only four more days until Josh's marathon! He is nervous... I am excited and confident for him. He is going to do great.  And I am going to be one crazy wild superfan.

Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday!

Ok, I ran A THOUSAND miles in just over six months. Surely that is worthy of helping me reach my goal of raising $3000 for Team MEB. Help a girl out! :)

 CLICK HERE TO DONATE TO MY CHARITY TEAM FOR THE NYC MARATHON

11 comments:

The Green Girl said...

Congratulations, girl! Whoo hoo! To celebrate, I am donating today!

Zoë said...

YAAAY!!! Congrats! That's so awesome!

christa said...

I ran around my "block" today too, it was almost 5 miles. Blocks are big here too!

C. Crosby said...

AMAZING! Great job! I really want to be able to say that some day and I know I will!

I have started doing speed work on a track and it is fun! Glad you liked it.

Jennifer Cotter said...

Great workouts and congratulations on your 1000th mile!!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

So awesome! I'm crazy proud of you. If I hadn't crashed we would have been hitting 1000 at practically the same time.

Amanda@runninghood said...

This is awesome!! Congrats girl!! Wooo hooo! I am not so good at keeping track of my miles. This is great that you do!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

CONGRATULATIONS Erin!! You are a machine!! I think I'm a shade under 300 short still! :)

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I had to check my running miles after reading your post, 962 miles so far for me. Congrats on running 1000 miles!!!

lindsay said...

I am always amazed at the people who don't obsess over tracking their miles!! I love tracking my runs. Congrats on the 1k! I used to hit that mileage around now but have been slack these past few years.

Candice @ I Have Run said...

Congrats on the miles! And it is only JUNE!!

I want to come to Track Tuesday =(