Friday, June 24, 2011

Marathon training again!

Happy Friday!

- Training! This has been my first official week of training for the Top of Utah Marathon on Sept. 17. I have my training plan designed by the awesome Dorothy Beal and I am excited to be marathon training again! I am believing that I have what it takes to qualify for Boston (even though it makes me nervous to say that!) and am giving it my all to achieve that goal.

This week so far I had an easy-paced 8 mile run on Monday, "track Tuesday", an easy six miles on Wednesday and a tempo run yesterday. The track work out was 1x1600, 2x1200, 2x800, 2x400 with a 400m rest interval in between and a half mile warm up and half mile cool down. I hit all of my paces and felt really good even though my quads were still a bit sore from my long, fast downhill run at Ragnar.

Yesterday's tempo run was CRAZY! The plan was eight miles total with three miles at a tempo pace of 7:26-7:56. I dropped my two oldest kids off at the church at 7am for a camping trip and then I took off. There was blue skies with some clouds around, but the sun was shining. Not two miles into the run, and WALL OF DARK CLOUDS, complete with thunder and an insane amount of lightning strikes was moving right at me. I could literally just count the lightning strikes and watch them get closer and closer.

I was running four miles out and back and for a little while I considered to keep running and see if I could get past the storm, but it was moving way too fast and was way too big. I am not one to get scared easily, and I was pretty scared. I ended up knocking on someone's front door at 7:30 in the morning! The nice woman (who subs at my kids' school and is super nice) took one look at me in my running clothes and knew exactly why I was at her door step (the thunder was super loud at this point). I just wanted to use the phone to call Josh and have him come and rescue me, but instead she just gave me a ride home herself. My hero! I wasn't in the house for two full minutes when the hail started, and lightning strikes were all around the house. I was so glad I had gotten off of the road and grateful for the ride home!

I jumped on the treadmill, did a half mile warm up and then ended up doing four miles at tempo pace (7:47, 7:40, 7:36 and 7:30) and then a one mile cool down.

Today is a rest day, then tomorrow is 8 miles and Sunday is 14 miles.


-Relays Rock! Congrats to all the awesome ladies who made the Nuun Hood to Coast relay team!!! I so, so, SO wanted to apply, and had an awesome application ready to go, but in the end I had to put my Mommy priorities first. My kids start school that Monday, and they just really need me to be here. It will be an incredible experience though and I am so excited for the team and to hear all about it. You are going to have a blast!!

Speaking of relays, I got my team all registered for next year's Wasatch Back. Registration has only been open for not even 48 hours and is currently only open for people who ran Ragnar WB this year, and there are already over 500 teams registered! CRAZY!!! We are team S.P.U.R. - Six Psycho Ultra Runners and I could not be any more excited to be running Ragnar as an ultra team AND to get to do it with Josh!

Here are a few more pics from Ragnar this year. :)



This is me and the girls in Van #1 as we finished decorating our van the night before.
Here we are hanging out and waiting at the finish line. Free massages were AWESOME. Um, yeah. I was cold!!

Here is our official team pic of all 12 of us. :)

Please help me out by spreading the word about my big fundraising giveaway! There is over $650 worth of prizes and I am so hoping for a great response. Just $10 gets you entered in (and there are tons of ways to earn bonus entries). Please help me raise money for Team MEB and help kids in need in the U.S. and Eastern Africa have access to health, education and fitness.

8 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

You guys are too cute! Love that team shot. I'm so excited for this marathon cycle for you. I'm sure it's going to be huge!

C. Crosby said...

I am glad you were able to get out of that storm. That can be scary and dangerous. I also love that area where you live. People are so nice!

Janice {Run Far} said...

WOW- What a nice lady to offer you a ride... I stink so bad when I run, I would have been nervous to be so close and in confinded quaters. ;)

Love the green tops! Someday I will run WB ragnar... maybe when I move back.

Katye said...

Great! Will share your fundraiser in a blog post this weekend

send me and e-mail at Katyerunninaround@gmail.com with the link to remind me =)

Terzah said...

You just have to promise you'll wait for me at the finish line when you BQ! You may be scared saying it out loud, but I know you will do it!! Glad to hear you are training--this will be fun.

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

Look at you ladies all matching! My team certainly wasn't that coordinated. Maybe next year.

Claire said...

You have an informative blog. I’ve learned something from it. I do have mine too www.claire-fernandez.blogspot.com... Thanks

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

Love the official picture! You will qualify for Boston - no ifs and or buts about it :) and I am SOOOO happy to see you are taking your REST day. Remember it takes courage to rest.