Thursday, June 9, 2011

5K race report

This morning, after my 8 mile run and my strength training and my blog post, I remembered that I had to run my Virtual 5K for Autism that I signed up to run for the awesome Alicia. Jenny and I have a 10 miler planned for the morning and then Josh and I are leaving and tomorrow is the last day to get the results to Alicia, so I decided to put my running shoes back on and get it done.

Since it was still SNOWING, I decided to get on the treadmill to run this virtual race. Mental note to me - treadmill running STILL feels much harder than outside running! Here is a cute funny though... when I was heading down to get on the treadmill in my tank and shorts, my seven year old Marcus said in a very concerned tone, "Mom! You DO know that it is freezing out there, right???" I told him not to worry and that I was just going on the treadmill. :)

I set two rules for myself for this race - I was going to start the treadmill at 8.5 (a 6:58 pace), and there would be no slowing down or stopping, only speeding up until I was done. I finished running at a 10.0 (6:00 pace), and finished with a final time of 21:18 (an average 6:52 pace for the 3.1 miles).

Here is my super short race report -

I blasted my IPOD through my treadmill speakers and was on my way.

My thoughts -

Mile 1 - Yee haw! Here we go. Running fast is FUN.

Mile 2 - Oh crap. What have I done. This is fast, I am tired, and I have to maintain this or get faster for quite a while still. I wish I was running outside.

Mile 3 - Thank goodness - only a mile left. I hope I don't throw up on my new(ish) treadmill.

last .1 - Holy cow - I am running really fast. I have never run at 10.0 before on a treadmill (although I have been faster outside). Woo hoo!

21:18 is a new PR.

Josh came down and snapped a few pics while I was running...



Thanks Alicia for hosting this!!! :)

16 comments:

C. Crosby said...

Wow! Too good runs in one day and grats on the new PR! I am sure it felt good!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Congrats on the new PR! :)

Jessica (The Pace of Me) said...

that is AWESOME. congrats on the PR! that is super fast! i like how you kept increasing the speed and didn't allow yourself to slow down. you had quite a day!!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Sweet!

Kerrie T. said...

Holy PR, Batman!

jen said...

WOO HOO great job!!

runnerwannabe said...

Speedy Gonzalez!!!! Way to go!

The Green Girl said...

I had no idea treadmills had speakers - I learned something new today.

Congratulations on your speedy virtual 5k!

fancy nancy said...

What's up Speedy!!! Way to go! I miss my treadmill so much!!!

Jennifer Cotter said...

Wow, you are fast! I would have flown off the treadmill at that pace. :)
Great runs!

bobbi said...

Holy SPEEDY!! Nice job - congrats!!

Shana said...

How the heck can you smile and give thumbs up while running that fast? That's about the time I would have started swearing!

Janice {Run Far} said...

Speedy... Great job lady!

Annet said...

Nice guns!

Teamarcia said...

You are so smoking fast! Love the action shots. I'd be hurling for sure if I tried to run at 10.

Treadmill India said...

that is AWESOME. congrats on the PR! that is super fast! i like how you kept increasing the speed and didn't allow yourself to slow down. you had quite a day!! thanks for sharing here..