Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Time

I had an awesome, awesome run this morning. Ragnar training called for eight miles, and I decided to push the pace and see what I can do. I really want a sub 1:50 time for my half marathon in July, which would mean a pace of at least 8:23.

I did a route that goes four miles out and then four miles back home. The first mile is downhill, then there are three miles in a row that are uphill. Then you turn around and get three downhill miles and then the last mile home is uphill (big uphill). I knew it wouldn't be an easy route to hold a faster pace but I set out feeling confident. It was a lot warmer (so sad that 27 degrees F feels WARM right now), no wind, no snow. Perfect!

It was tough and I definitely was pushing myself, but I finished 8 miles in 1:04:55, with an average pace of 8:07. And I finished feeling good and strong. Woo hoo!

Here are my splits
Mile 1 - 8:25
Mile 2 - 8:17
Mile 3 - 8:24
Mile 4 - 8:12
Mile 5 - 7:56
Mile 6 - 7:55
Mile 7 - 7:55
Mile 8 - 7:50

That felt pretty darn awesome. :)

Today is my oldest daughter's 16th birthday. Nuts!! She was nine when we adopted her and I am only 18 years older than her. It feels kind of crazy to say I have a 16 year old. Really crazy!

 It also feels crazy that it is May already. Where did April go? That month went FAST. Our kids are out of school in just over three weeks. Since I am looking out the window and watching it SNOW right now, it doesn't seem possible for Summer Vacation to be three weeks away!!

April was a super good running month for me. I only had 169 miles because of tapering and then recovery, but the Salt Lake City Marathon was definitely the highlight of the month on April 16. 3:57! I still love to just say that out loud sometimes and smile. :) I did the Jelly Bean virutal 5K on April 22 with a time of 22:23 (probably faster since I found out a few days later that my treadmill had been off!!!)

I am thrilled to say that I have no injuries and no aches or pains (knock knock knock on wood), and I am loving being back into a routine of getting up super early and getting my runs done outside every day (and home by 6:30am). I am also loving getting to run with Jenny a lot of mornings. It is the best way to start a day!

Ok, that's all for now. More soon! Hope you all have a great day. As Brooks says, "Run Happy!" :)

6 comments:

Shana said...

Wait, your fastest mile was the big hill at the end?! Way to go!!

Kevin said...

I can easily see you banging out a 1:45.. Easily!

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

That is sooooo impressive that you run that fast! You are totally accomplishing your goal. Happy birthday to your daughter. Doing my first run today so we'll see how it goes...can't wait!

Penny said...

I dont think you will have a problem hitting your goal. Your pretty fast, By George, even faster on the last half of that 8 miles. You go girl.

Terzah said...

Do you get sick of me telling you you're awesome?! Sounds hard but fun...good job!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

You are very dedicated and you'll be great!