Friday, May 27, 2011

Five random things on Friday

1.Yesterday was the last day of school and now all of my kids are officially on summer vacation. I think we are all very ready for a break from schedules and the stresses of school and are looking forward to more free time, family time, and fun. AND, I no longer have to be back home from my runs by 6:30am since none of the kids are up that early (and Josh is home) when they don't have to go to school, so yay for a little more sleep for me! :)

2. I missed the Biggest Loser finale on Tuesday because Josh and I were at the U2 concert in Salt Lake City!! We had tickets to go last year, and then Bono hurt his back, needed surgery, and the concert was cancelled and then rescheduled for this week. Our tickets for last year's show were still good, and even though it wasn't an easy night for us to go, we didn't want to miss it. The show was AWESOME and the music was just so so good. U2 is seriously the coolest ever and I love Bono... not just for the music, but for the work/advocacy/fundraising he does in regards to Africa and AIDS (which is obviously super close to home for me!)
Here are my two favorite Bono quotes -

"God is in the slums, in the cardboard boxes where the poor play house. God is in the silence of a mother who has infected her child with a virus that will end both their lives. God is in the cries heard under the rubble of war. God is in the debris of wasted opportunity and lives, and God is with us if we are with them." - Bono

"Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud."   - Bono

Here is me at the concert! :)






3. I am now at over 200 miles run in the month of May and still have 31 miles left to run this month. I feel awesome. I am at 913 miles for the year and will be hitting that 1,000 mile mark soon. Pretty cool! And Ragnar Wasatch Back is getting so close... I really can't wait.


4. I got a book from Runner's World called "The Runner's Diet". I wasn't looking to diet, but was hoping it would be more of a "here is a great way to eat if you a runner" type of thing" (which is how it was advertised). It was a pretty big disappointment to me. There is some good info in there, although not much that I didn't know and the bulk of it is aimed at new runners or those running just a couple of times a week (and short miles) or those looking to use running to lose weight. As an example, there was a lot of info on how most runners don't need Gu's or sports drinks and talked about how much extra calories are in those, how they are more for elite and distance runners, etc. I don't know too many people running 3 miles here and there that are popping Gu's, but I guess a good point was made. It just wasn't relevant info for me.  On the plus side, I guess it is good that I after reading it I feel like I am doing a good job with what I am eating and how much.

5.  Have you seen this hoodie?? It is like someone said, "Here Erin... we are making a hoodie just for you". It is gray, it is the perfect weight, it is super soft and it says RUN. As a self-proclaimed hoodie-a-holic, I had to have one. I might just wear it every day. STAY TUNED for your chance to win one of these bad-boys. :)




Hey, it's Friday. Want to do something really easy that will make you feel good about yourself for helping others? :)  Please help me raise $3000 to support Team MEB when I run the NYC marathon in November, and help provide children in the U.S. and in Africa with access to good health, education and fitness.  Every little bit helps and is greatly appreciated. :)


PLEASE CLICK HERE TO DONATE

7 comments:

Julie said...

I'm so ready for my kids to be out of school so we can sleep in a little and take things S.L.O.W.E.R!!

Teamarcia said...

Yay for kids being out! 1 more week for mine.
Awesome you saw U2 and I looooove that quote.
LOVE the hoodie too...can never have too many hoodies!

fancy nancy said...

Girl you are a running machine!!! 200 miles in May....way to go!!!

Ahhh to be able to sleep in! What a gift! I have 19 days left!

Love the Bono quotes!

Heather Elliott @ the desire to run said...

Yay for school being out. As a "kid" (college student) I am out for the summer too. My summer goal is to become a morning runner. I want to get up super early and get my run in.

Kiley said...

Nice, you got the hoodie! and you are gonna do a giveaway for one?! sweet! Hey, you can watch the Biggest Loser finale on HULU.com - thats how I had to watch it.

Jennifer Cotter said...

Wow...that's a lot of miles! Great job!! I don't know how you do it with everything you have going on. Love that hoodie!! :)

Annet said...

I'm sure someone out there reading your blog would like that book - even if it was a disappointment to you there are many others who it might be good for.. another giveaway/donation builder!!
If you are honest about what you thought about it, then no issues there!