Monday, April 25, 2011

TWO

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter. Yesterday was also my Marcus' seventh birthday, so we had a weekend full of fun and celebration. Here is a picture of the whole crew ready to go to church (with birthday boy sprawled out in the front!) There will be lots more pics up on the family blog later today if you are interested. Aren't they the cutest??

Today is a special day for me too. Today is my TWO YEAR running anniversary. Two years ago today I went for my very first run ever (or at least the first since high school). I had been trying to eat more healthily and exercising regularly for a couple of months (mostly with the Wii fit) and had lost about 24lbs. I was getting bored with the Wii and a couple of ladies in my neighborhood had just started to run. On April 25, 2009, the sun was shining and Josh was home and I figured I would give this running thing a try.

There is a loop from our house that is jut over two miles and I thought I could surely run that. Ha! It was SO much harder than I thought it would be. I had to walk three times and I couldn't believe how tough it was, but I was hooked. I started running every other day for a couple of weeks, and then ended up running six days a week (and still am!) Early on I was DETERMINED to run that stinking 2+ mile loop without walking and I remember how awesome it felt the first day I could do it.


The weight kept coming off and I kept being able to run further and faster and felt better doing it. Running very quickly went from something I made myself do, to something I wanted to do, and then to something that I needed to do. Running became a part of who I am.

On Sept. 11, 2009 I hit the mark of 50lbs lost! Less than a week later we had our beautiful son, Noah, placed with us for adoption. Noah was about nine months old and had significant special needs. I was afraid that all the stress and busy-ness of having a new baby (and especially one with high medical needs) would make it difficult/impossible for me to continue to take care of myself and get my running in, but I did it. I had to get up crazy early before Noah was awake, and I needed Josh to be there and willing to handle it if Noah woke up before I was done, but I continued with running six days a week (3-6 miles a day). I remember in March 2010, when we had made it through our first six months with Noah (including two surgeries and hospitalizations and countless appointments) and the holidays, and the horrible Wyoming winter.... I remember saying, "If I could keep up with my running through this winter, I can keep it up through anything!"


In Spring 2010 I started adding to the miles I was doing when Jenny and I started training to be on a Ragnar team. For the first time I had a training plan (loved it!) and we started doing hill work, paying attention to the time it took us to finish runs, etc.

Ragnar was an awesome experience (I loved it so much I bought a team for 2011 almost right away!) and then we decided to train for our first half-marathon. I really really liked having a training plan and the more miles I ran, the more I wanted to run. Before long I had decided to train for the Vegas Rock n Roll Marathon.

At first I thought I would run just one marathon and hopefully survive it,  to be able to say "I did it!", but before that first one was even over, I knew I wanted more!! (I guess you just never know until you try something). A month later I had the unexpected and amazing opportunity to run in the Disney World Marathon, and as soon as I got home from that, I signed up to run in the Salt Lake City Marathon. I really love the marathon distance. I love the training and I love the race itself. I love the challenge and the sense of accomplishment. It is without a doubt my favorite distance to race and train for, and I look so forward to many more marathons.

Here is a list of the races I have done -
5/17/09 - local 5K (not even a month after my first run) - 32:02
6/24/09 - 10k in Salt Lake - 1:02:28
6/18/10-6/19/10- Ragnar Wasatch Back (runner #6)
7/31/10- local 5K - 23:33
9/4/10 - Pocatello 1/2 marathon - 2:04:50
12/5/10 - Vegas RnR Marathon - 4:15:50
1/9/11- Disney World Marathon - 4:20:18
4/16/11 - Salt Lake City Marathon - 3:57:29
4/22/11 - Jelly Bean Virtual 5K - 22:23

For what I have coming up, you can read this post here.

I am a runner, and running has given me so much. Running has helped me lose and keep off 70lbs. Running has given me a sense of personal satisfaction and accomplishment. Running has helped me reduce my stress and increase my patience. Running has helped me make taking care of myself a priority. Running has given me a wonderful friendship that I desperately needed. Running helped me find a part of myself... a part that is athletic, strong, tough, brave, determined, and confident...a part of me that I didn't know existed. Every day running betters my body, mind and soul.

Yesterday morning I got up early and slipped out for a run before anyone else got up and the fun of Easter and birthday started. I ran a seven mile loop, and it was one of those runs that was just perfect. The temps were cool but comfortable, the sun was rising, the skies and mountains were beautiful, and the world was quiet and peaceful on Easter morning. The miles came easily and I had a great pace, even though more than half of the loop is uphill. I felt fast and strong. My body felt great and I found myself smiling. It was one of those runs that was just FUN and felt incredible. I couldn't imagine a better way to start the day.

So thanks running, and happy anniversary. Thanks for two awesome years, and all that you have given me. I can't wait to see what we accomplish in the future.

2 comments:

Jessica (The Pace of Me) said...

happy anniversary and happy birthday to your son! what a truly beautiful post. your story is so inspiring and made me teary. so wonderful!!

The Green Girl said...

Aw, happy two year running anniversary!