Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Where to get the 411

Yesterday was a tempo run. I increased the speed for the first 1.5 miles, and then ran 2.5 miles at a 7:53 pace. Then the last mile I gradually slowed the speed back down (five miles total). I love tempo runs. :) Wednesdays are an easier day, so this morning I did six miles, starting at a 9:22 pace for three miles, and then for the last three miles I increased to  9:13, then 9:05 then 8:57.

Today was the first day since ditching my insoles that my inner ankles weren't stiff and sore for the first mile and I felt super great with no soreness at all the whole run. Yay! My youngest son has a physical therapist that comes once a week to work with him and the PT is also a runner. He checked my ankles out again on Tuesday  and thought that the soreness/stiffness is just my tendons getting used to not having the insoles. I am just so stinking glad it is still getting better and now seems almost gone. Woo hoo! I was a little worried I had given myself an injury or was on my way. It feels good to have gotten rid of the insoles for good.

This is a "scale back" week in my training, and then next week is over 50 miles again.

Salt Lake City Marathon is next month which is exciting. I am SO hoping to get able to get under four hours. (Yup, saying that out loud. I really want to be under four hours, which would mean improving my time by 15 minutes from this winter). Think I can do it??

Josh and my oldest daughter leave tomorrow morning with our high school track team for the state meet and they won't be home until Sunday morning. Indoor track season is LONG when you are the coach's wife. And then they get home on Sunday, and outdoor spring track starts on Monday. Sheesh! At least the meets for spring track are more local and aren't usually overnights. And even though it is the start of "spring" track, our fancy new outdoor track facility is still under several feet of snow. Josh and his throwers will be spending the first week or so of the season doing what they usually do... digging out the the throwing pits!

Ok, so here is a question someone asked.  "You seem to know a lot about running, gels, training, shoes, etc. What websites/magazines do you read to get all of your information? How would you encourage a beginner to learn more about running? I just run about 3 miles a day and would love to take my running to the next level but not sure where to even begin."

Let me say up front that I research pretty much everything. I love to read and I like to be educated about things. Whether we are adopting a child, buying a vehicle, running marathons, or taking on a new project, I research it up and down, inside and out. Some might say I am even a teeny tiny wee bit (just a little ) anal. Whatever. :)

For me, running is fun and is something I enjoy and am passionate about, so I REALLY enjoy reading about running. I like reading about training, gear, shoes, fueling, races and on and on. I like reading about other people's experiences with running and I like reading advice from the pro's.

I am a big fan of Runners World, the magazine and their website. We also get and read Running Times. I read a lot of running blogs and SO enjoy them. My favorite "info" books are Hal Higdon's Marathon (so much great advice and info) and Run Like a Mother (really, a must read). And then of course there is a good old Google when I want to look something up.

Where do you get your running info? Where do you do your running research or reading? Any good sources for us? Leave a comment!

And remember, you only have until Friday morning to enter my Punkeelove Headband Giveaway. 
Trust me, you want these! :)

4 comments:

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

Great job on your tempo! I'm behind as usual but have an email in the works for you :) Happy Wednesday!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

I'm excited for you and your marathon next month!!!! Can you teach me to love tempos just as much? I have one tomorrow: 1 mile w/u and c/d with 5 mi @7:59, total 7.

Terzah said...

I think you can TOTALLY go under 4 hours. Those tempos you're doing are just the thing. Can't wait to hear about it!!

Run with Jess said...

Great job on tempo... wish I could learn to love those like you. Tempo up tomorrow for me! You sound like me... never buy anything until I read the reviews! LOL