Thursday, March 3, 2011

SNOW, intervals and last chance

We are getting snow just DUMPED and dumped on us. Not that that is unusual up here at over 6200 feet elevation, but sheesh. I am so ready to be back to running outside. We have gotten almost a foot of snow since I went to bed last night and it is still coming down.

Here are a couple of pics from my front door this morning...
 These are the foothills right across the road... it is so snowy you can barely see them and you can't see the mountains behind them.


With Josh out of town and the weather dreadful, I am looking forward to a day of just hanging out with the little two kids now and then the rest of the kids (minus the eldest who is gone to state track with Josh) later. And no, we never EVER get snow days. Life goes on when it snows here and people just know how to deal with it. COME ON SPRING! :) I am also looking forward to Grey's Anatomy tonight...my guilty TV pleasure.

I had a great run this morning! I did five miles total on the treadmill of intervals. I did six 1/2 mile intervals with a 1/4 mile recovery job in between each (and a 1/2 mile warm up and a 1/4 mile cool down). I ran the first five intervals at a 7:30 pace and the last one at a 7:19 pace and felt great. I am always amazed at how fast interval runs go... I think it is because I am focusing on 1/2 a mile at a time. NO soreness at all again today which makes me super happy.

Someone recently asked if I do my intervals outside or on the treadmill. For now, since our local track is covered in feet of snow, I am doing them on the treadmill but I look forward to doing them on the track as soon as the snow melts. While I am running them on the treadmill I use this chart to figure out where to put the incline so that I am running (hopefully) equivalent to running outside. When I run outside the speed does feel much easier to me, even though everyone says that treadmill is easier.

For those that have asked recently, I am using Hal Higdon's Intermediate 2 marathon training plan as a starting point. I added in a three mile recovery run every Monday, and I am also doing tempo runs, interval runs, and marathon pace runs once a week with my long runs and easier paced runs, and I used the McMillan Running Calculator to determine my paces. I am training for my third marathon (Salt Lake City on April 16). I ran my first marathon three months ago in Las Vegas (4:15:50) and then my second in Disney World two months ago (4:20:18).

Today is your last day to enter my Punkeelove Headband Giveaway.
 I will announce the lucky winner in the morning! :)

4 comments:

Run with Jess said...

OMG... the snow! All of ours is now melted and I don't want it back!
Great job on the intervals! I find I naturally run faster outside too.

Adam said...

Soooo, you're totally going to be mad at me if I say that I miss the snow, right? Stupid Arizona and it's 80 degree days..... Oh wait, nope - those rule. :)

Kerrie T. said...

Wow! Where do you live? I definitely feel like speed is easier outside, too. I used to think otherwise, but have since changed my mind.

Thanks for the follow at MvM and entering my giveaway. I think I just got in to your giveaway in the nick of time!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

I feel you with the snow---it will not melt here!! ugh!!!!! Thus it is the TM for me too! But, I am NOT running 20 on it tomorrow if I have to strap on snow shoes!