Saturday, March 19, 2011

Saturday, Saturday

So far today I have -

- dragged my butt out of bed at 5am
- run six miles at an easy pace
- fed kids breakfast
- gave 7 boys haircuts (they get lined up and shaved... like sheep at a farm) :)
- washed and braided Belane's hair
- got many small children bathed, lotioned, hair combed, etc.
- cleaned all the windows and mirrors in the house
- cleaned the bathrooms
- vacuumed the whole house
- mopped the floors
- made lunch
- done all of Noah's meds, tube and dressing changes, etc.
- played a couple of games of Connect 4
- done a few loads of laundry
- gotten dinner ready
- taken a shower

and a bunch of smaller things that don't need to be listed. Whew. Josh and Mercy are gone at a track meet but should be home in the next couple of hours and I finally have a little time to relax while Noah naps and everyone else watches a movie. Motherhood is definitely an endurance sport!

For those that don't follow my family blog, here is a picture of my 12 awesome kids (this was the Christmas card this year).


Yup, they are the greatest. :) I ran with Jenny this morning which was fabulous, and tomorrow I have a solo 12-miler on the schedule. Since we kept the pace easy today I am going to do a pace run tomorrow (aiming for an 8:45 pace or so). Looking forward to it!

For any other Brooks fans out there, I read this article last night about Brooks' new PureProject Collection that is coming out in October. I love Brooks shoes and their running apparel and I am excited to see the new shoes! I was wondering when they would have something in the barefoot/minimal categories.

That said, I am not sure how "minimal" I will be able to or should go. I have days where I look at some of those shoes and think it would be fun to try them (and it's hard to argue with wanting to be as strong as you can and run as naturally as you can). On the flip side though, I have been running 50+ mile weeks injury free and have no plans of slowing down any time soon (lots of races coming up!) so I have to think, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I run in the Brooks Ravenna 2's and love them. They are definitely not minimalist shoes in any way, but they are fairly light, very responsive and offer support for "mild" overpronaters. These shoes feel like they were made for me when I put them on, and they are super comfortable whether I am running at a 7 minute pace or a 10 minute pace.

I did recently ditch the insoles I had been adding to my running shoes, and after a couple of weeks of soreness (I was able to run through) my feet/ankles/legs adjusted and now feel awesome. I had a PT tell me once that I wouldn't be able to go to "minimalist" or barefoot shoes because of my low low arches and pronation, but I know that that is not always true. I am naturally a midfoot striker when I run, and I am barefoot almost all the time except for when I run, because I work from home and hate even wearing socks if I don't have to. :)

So yeah... sometimes I think about trying out some more minimalist shoes, but for now I keep coming back to "if it ain't broke..." and not wanting to risk injury for no real reason. So for the moment I am sticking with my Ravenna's because they are working so dang well for me. :) But I definitely will be interested to see what Brooks reveals this fall.

How about you guys? Any of you trying out (or already dedicated to) barefoot running or "minimal" shoes? Hope you all are having a great Saturday. More soon!

If you haven't already, don't forget to play my IPOD runninglist game and enter my contest for a REALLY good book. :)

8 comments:

Penny said...

Thanks for putting a picture of you family I have been wanting to see the whole crew. Boy you are amazing I could barely handle two.What a great looking family. I am trying to switch over to the VFF'S. I have not got to run outside yet, it has been to cold for me anyway, I have only ran with them on a treadmill since early nov. I really do love the way my feet feel, so natural and free. Have a good run tomorrow.

Cari said...

I just bought some new minimalist shoes and I think they are great if you need to learn how to run properly, but if you have gone that long injury free it doesn't sound like you need them. I'm totally on board with the "if it ain't broke" philosophy.

boltupright said...

Have you read "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall? I just read it recently and it got me thinking about minimalist shoes for my next pair. It also has a neat take on the joy & emotion of running.

carrie said...

I am finally 100% in my VFFs (Vibram Five Fingers) and I love them! I have had bad sciatica issues running in my Nike Pegasus and they have gone away with my VFFs. I am up to 10K in them and hope to run a half in the near future-- I am a new runner. My back, knees, hips, ankles and sciatica all feel fabulous in these shoes. I highly recommend them!!

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

I agree with the if it ain't broke don't fix it. Annnd there is no research that says that minimalist shoes will make you any faster :) I do at times run in the Kinvara's but I can assure you I will never use the VFF's! But that's my two or maybe three cents. UMMMM and that pic of your kids is ADORABLE

Mallory said...

I LOVE that picture of your children. They are all ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't tried any minimalist shoes but I have thought about getting Nike Free's to give it a shot.

Emily said...

Timely post. I am currently transitioning to Vibram Bikilas after being out for 2 months with plantar fasciitis. I love them and plan to never go back, but I agree if you are doing well in your Brooks keep going with what you are doing. So close to a marathon wouldn't be a good time to transition anyways.

Renee said...

I love that pic of your kiddies! I love how they are holding Noah's hands... so cute!

I run in Brooks and I LOVE them, but I would love to just try the Vibrams. I think it would be fun to do a test drive/run in them. I saw a lot of people running in them during the 15 K last weekend.

You are amazing!