Sunday, March 6, 2011

Race pace?

I had a great run this morning. I did 12 miles on the treadmill. I did the first 9 miles at 8:57 pace, then a mile at 8:51, then a mile at 8:47, then half a mile at 8:41 and then half a mile at 8:34. It was a "hard" run but it was doable and I felt great and could have kept going at the end which felt good. I usually do my long runs at an easy pace but since this was a "short" long run I decided to run it fast and see how I felt.

I am trying to decide what is a reasonable race pace for my marathon next month.

In my first marathon (Vegas) in Dec. 2010, I finished in 4:15:50, and I lost 3 minutes and change at a porta potty during the race. So that means my running time averaged about a 9:37 pace.

In my second marathon (Disney) in Jan. 2011, I finished in 4:20:18, but I lost 10 minutes and change at porta potties (I had to stop THREE times...my stomach gave me some grief), so my running time averaged at about a 9:32 pace, although I felt great at the end and was really slowed down for the first four or five miles because of how crowded the course was, so I definitely think I could have had a better time.

I did not do any speed work or pay attention to pace during my training last fall/winter and I have been doing regular speed work and pace runs this time around. I feel strong and I feel like I am getting faster. But I don't know what is realistic in regards to how much I can improve from January to April. It is unrealistic to shoot for under four hours and about a 9:00 or slightly under pace? I held it fine for 12 miles today, although obviously 12 is a lot less than 26.2. Any advice from you more experienced marathoners?? I would appreciate any advice or thoughts. :)

Josh and Mercy will be home here in a couple of hours. YAY! I can't wait to have them home and spend the afternoon and night snuggled up with Josh. Man I love that guy. :) Happy Sunday everybody!

1 comment:

Renee said...

You are so amazing! I read this Blog before my runs to inspire me.

I am doing my first 15 k this weekend. Every time I think about it I get butterflies. I am so nervous. Do you get nervous before your races?