Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Gone Goofy!!!

I was going to wait until my birthday next week (March 24th!) to post this, but I am too excited not to share it now. Yesterday I registered to run in the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge in January 2012! Running "the Goofy" means that you run the Disney World Half Marathon on Saturday, and then you run the Disney World Full Marathon on Sunday....39.3 miles in two days!!!

Because of the generosity of a friend and of my parents, I got to run the Disney World Marathon in January this year (with just a couple of weeks notice and planning!) My race report is here if you are interested.

From the time I was little I have always loved all things Disney. I love the movies, the characters, the TV shows, the parks, the merchandise... I buy into all of it hook, line and sinker. I love Disney. Mary Poppins was the first movie I ever saw in the movie theater. Jiminy Cricket is my most favorite character ever. I could watch all three Toy Story movies on continuous loop and never get tired of them (good thing because my Solomon is obsessed). I love the princesses old and new. I can say/sing every word to Beauty and the Beast. I love Lightning McQueen. I wish Sully and Mike hung out in my closet. I watched DuckTales and Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers religiously when I was younger, and now watch all the new shows with my kids. I have CD's of all the Disney music. I think Captain Jack Sparrow is the coolest. I love it all.

When I first started running, before I ever could even imagine running a marathon, I said to my running friends, "The only way I am ever running a marathon is if I can run Disney. I want to run through the castle and get a Mickey medal." Well, I ended up running Vegas first, and then got surprised with the last minute opportunity to run Disney. It did NOT disappoint. It was amazing and I loved everything about the race and the weekend. I couldn't imagine enjoying a race more, and I came home knowing that I wanted to do it again.

A friend of mine that lives here contacted me this past weekend and asked if I had any interest in running the Disney World Marathon again. She wanted to register for the half marathon and was looking for someone to travel and room with. With the race being the week after New Year's it is a time that Josh cannot get away (because his indoor coaching has started) and it is a time that my older kids really can't miss school, so I know that a family trip (which isn't in the budget any way right now) or even a couple's trip for Josh and I wouldn't work well around this race.

In January my parents met me in Florida for the marathon which was beyond GREAT, but I didn't want to make them feel like I expected them to again, and I really didn't want to go by myself. So to have a friend ask if I wanted to travel with her and share a room was a perfect situation!!

So I told Josh that what I really wanted for my birthday was to go Goofy, and sign up to run the Goofy Challenge! I hadn't heard much about the Goofy until I was in Disney for the marathon, and I knew it was a challenge I wanted to take on someday. Of course I needed Josh's blessing to be gone for a few days and to spend the money (although we've got plenty of time to save up and plan the trip). Josh was supportive as usual and gave me the go ahead! Registration opened up yesterday and I am all signed up!!!!!

I was telling my kids about it (who are all so great about my running and get really excited about my races) and my 13 year old said, "Mom, running 13 miles one day and 26 miles the next day sounds more like a birthday punishment than a birthday present!" Ha! :)

There is a tiny piece of me that feels rotten about going to Disney without Josh and the kids (although all of them except Noah have been, most of them a few times), however as I told myself when I went in January, I have devoted my entire life to taking care of other people, and doing this for myself is ok.

Besides, the kids LOVE my Mickey Mouse medal, and this time I will get a Donald Duck medal, a Mickey Mouse medal AND a Goofy medal. :)

As always I am incredibly grateful for Josh's love and support. He really is my best friend and the greatest husband ever. Right now we usually have to take turns to pursue our running/sport interests since we don't live close to much and travel with 12 kids is crazy expensive. But I SO look forward to the day when we are the older couple doing lots of races together (maybe even coaching together!) and are always there to cheer each other on. He has his first marathon AND his first triathlon coming up this summer and I am so excited for him. He totally rocks. :)

So Happy Birthday to me a week early! I have gone Goofy! Hopefully I will feel more like this...


than this....

Actually since my training already calls for back to back long runs I am not too worried. I think it's going to be great. Have any of you done the Goofy challenge?? Anyone planning on being at the Disney Marathon Weekend in January 2012? The registration fees are lower if you sign up early. :) It's a long way away still (and I have at least two full marathons, one half marathon and a Ragnar to run first), but definitely gives me something to be excited about and look forward to.

14 comments:

Mallory said...

That is so awesome!! Congrats on signing up! I'm glad for you that your hubby is supportive. My spouse is supportive as well and it's such a blessing.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

A-MA-ZING!!! I don't think I have the courage to do this...yet. But, it sounds like you are well-prepared with your training routine!

HAPPY EARLY B'DAY!!!!!

Teamarcia said...

VERY EXCITING!!!
And food for thought for me. : )

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

This sounds great! Go you!

Rae said...

Holy cow!

Jen said...

AMAZING!!! Is all I can say! Best of luck!

Colleen said...

Erin, that's awesome! The owner of the place where I buy my running shoes ran the Goofy Race this year. He said it was awesome. I'm seriously considering the 1/2, but I've only ever run a 10K and a 1/2 just seems SO far. Though I'll use just about any excuse to go to Disney.

Terzah said...

Congrats!! That is really exciting. I'm glad the Disney magic shone down on you again. :^)

Pamela said...

My girl, just when I think there is nothing you can do or say that will surprise me--you do!
You are an inspiration Erin. We love you so much.
p.s. does this mean we don't get to go withyou again? :(
Love Pam

Dearest Jessica said...

I'm gonna run that too! It will be my first marathon. I'm very excited! You should do a meet and greet some time that weekend. I would love to meet you. Been reading your blog for years. :)

Andrea said...

LOVE it! So awesome!!! :)

LumberMom Marg said...

Most of our family will be there this year. I think they are changing the school year this year to make the week after New Year's vacation time. Most of our flights are booked, except for my 2 oldest daughters who we are waiting to see if they are able to join us.

Jerilee E. said...

I'm going to be that lady who starts a comment with "you don't know me, but...". It's true, you don't know me :) but I just found your blog. You are amazing! I have 5 kids and I thought my life was busy! I just signed up for the Goofy Challenge, too. So very scared/excited.

LBTEPA said...

We are flying to Orlando from Australia to do Goofy! So I am putting your blog on my reader right now!