Monday, March 28, 2011

Dear body...

Dear body,
There is a lot I could and should say to you that is long overdue. First I am going to start with saying I am sorry. I am sorry that for over 10 years I took you for granted and pretty much treated you like garbage. I fed you mostly crap, did nothing to keep you healthy and almost never exercised. I made you carry around a ton of extra weight. I ignored your needs and did nothing to care for you, and then to add insult to injury, I had the nerve to bad-mouth you every time I looked in the mirror. I neglected you and mistreated you big time and I am sorry.

Despite the fact that I treated you so badly for over a decade, when I called on you, you were there for me. When I made you start exercising, you did it. When I asked you to get rid of some of the extra weight, you got rid of it gladly. When I asked you to run, even though we never had before, you did, with minimal pains or complaints. It wasn't easy, but we have both transformed as a result of our hard work. As I have pushed you to run further and further and faster and faster, you have never let me down.

I had no idea you were so strong. I had no idea that a runner was just waiting to be discovered in you. I had no idea we could do half the things we have done in the last two years, and I am excited to see what we accomplish in the future.

Thank you for being patient with me and for not giving up on me. I promise I will never ignore or neglect you again. I promise I will treat you right, and never take you for granted. I will give you what you need to be healthy and strong, get you as much rest as I can, push harder when you are up to it, pull back when you need me to, and listen to your signals.

Thanks for helping me find a strength, confidence, and part of myself that I didn't know I had. I am looking forward to many, many more years together and many, many more miles.

Love,
Me
PS And I am really really sorry about the ice baths, but I swear it is in our best interest. :)

12 comments:

Mallory said...

What an awesome post!! Great letter to your body!! I'm sure she forgives you :)

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

It is a really great post! Something to remember when I am kicking in those last miles!

Kerrie T. said...

LOVE this. Could've written an identical letter to my body.

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

I feel the same way. Well, about my body. Not yours. Great post!

Meredith said...

Beautiful!! Made me get a little lump in my throat! Love it!

Her Name Is Rio said...

Awww! Let us know if the body takes your comment about the ice baths well. :)

Jen said...

What a beautiful essay! Thanks so much for sharing :-)

chris mcpeake said...

great blog. Still trying to convince my body to accept the ice bath

Adam said...

Love this letter!!

Mine would start with something like "so this is going to suck tomorrow, but it'll be fun today - promise. :)

jen said...

you alway make me smile!! Thanks

ConnieKay said...

Wow - what a great letter to your body. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Suzy said...

Heaven help me. Reading your blog is like having an out of body experience. Apart from the awesome running form & times you post, it is like we are the same person. I think I need to print your letter & sign my name because I am absolutely certain I owe my body a long overdue, big time apology.