Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Afternoon start?

Happy Tuesday!

I did my tempo run this morning... one mile warm up, two miles at 7:34 pace, one mile at 7:19 pace and one mile gradual slow down. At the start I felt pretty tired and wondered if I could hang on to the pace, but then I started feeling really good and I finished feeling great. Tomorrow I have 10 miles, Thursday 5 miles, Friday off, Saturday 10 miles and Sunday 20 miles.

I heard some interesting news today... The Las Vegas Rock n Roll marathon is going to be held with a 4pm start time this year, so that runners get to run the strip "at night". (I ran Vegas in 2010 and it was my first full marathon... it had a 7:30am start). What do you think? Would you like a marathon with a 4pm start??

I was thinking that since the majority of runners in Vegas last year were doing the half (there were like 20,000 half runners last year and only 5,000 full runners) the average runner won't be much in the dark with a 4pm start, although I guess it does get dark pretty early in December. It would also make traveling home on a Sunday night after the race pretty challenging.

If they don't change the course, I have to say that the second half of the full marathon would kind of suck in the dark. It wasn't too exciting in the daylight... it was mostly through industrial areas with a lot of nothing. It would be really dark and boring in the dark. (For this race the first half is out and back on the Vegas strip which is way fun and could be a blast at night, but the second 13.1 miles are not very exciting at all). I didn't mind it at all, but part of how I entertained myself was watching the runners headed towards me (since it was an out and back) and that would be hard in the dark.

And then I can't help but wonder about fueling, etc. for a 4pm start. Have any of you ever run a marathon or long race that didn't start in the morning? I did run in the Ragnar Wasatch Back relay last year and my runs were at 5pm, 1am and 2pm the next day, but we were so physically exhausted, hungry, tired and off schedule that we were all totally out of whack anyway (and the longest distance I had to run at once was only 8 miles).

I did really enjoy the Vegas Rock N Roll marathon and it was super well organized. The start, despite there being over 25,000 runners, went really smoothly and the corrals worked way better than the ones in Disney did in regards to controlling crowding for the first few miles.

Josh and I definitely weren't set on running Vegas again, although it isn't too far from where we live, we had a great experience and I love a winter marathon because it kept me training when things got dark, cold and snowy (and it would have been easy to slack off). If I had my choice I would rather do Disney again though. :)

What do you think? 4pm marathon start on the Vegas strip... really cool? bad idea?

And please... any of you experienced marathoners, I'd love some advice on my race pace post.

Stay tuned for a fun giveaway tomorrow after I get my 10 miler done. :)

6 comments:

misszippy said...

I would HATE the 4 p.m. start! I didn't even do Boston until they moved the start to 10 b/c I knew I couldn't handle the noon start. But that's just me and my hang-ups--I'm sure you and plenty of others can handle it.

Terzah said...

I would hate the 4 p.m. start, too. I wouldn't have any idea how to eat at all. And it's much more fun to have the rest of the day to celebrate your marathon. But I'm a big morning person with everything.

Jill said...

Hey Erin,
Not sure if you remember me, but I used to visit teach you with Abbey for a few months when I lived in SV. I think it's great that you started running and love it so much. I'm a runner too, though I'm not really interested in doing a marathon. I'm planning a 10K, a half, and a relay from Logan to Jackson this summer. Sounds like you're doing great. Good luck with meeting your goal time for the SL marathon. Oh, and my husband is the head track coach (and girl's bball) here in Kemmerer now so I know what it's like to be a coach's widow. Definitely jealous of your new track facilities. He has no idea how he's even going to start practice here.

Anonymous said...

I'm doing the Vegas half marathon... the night race seems like an exciting change from the usual.

Jill Will Run said...

I ran a race that started at midnight once... that was super hard to fuel for and rest for... so a 4 PM starts sounds a lot easier than that one! ;-)

They haven't announced the courses yet, but from the rumblings I hear locally they are not going to use the same marathon course as last year. It sounds like they're going to do something to keep the full marathon on the Strip as well, probably why it starts an hour and a half before the half does!

ClistyB said...

I was thrilled to see the announcement.
This will really shake things up with seasoned runners. It will highlight runners that can adapt to a tweak in the norm.
I'd love to take that race on.