Monday, February 7, 2011

Questions and Answers - Squeeze those thighs??

Someone asked me "so, do you wear compression tights during your marathons? After?"

The short answer is "Yes". I got a pair of these CW-X Pro Tights last year and LOVE them. They are not a "keep you warm" tight, other than being something over your bare skin. In fact during the Vegas marathon it got pretty warm for the last hour or two, and my legs felt nice and cool (the tights have Coolmax and UV protection). That said, thus far all of my marathon training and running has been in cooler weather. In December in Vegas the temps were in upper 30's or low 40's at the start and just over 60 at the finish, and in Disney in January the temps were about the same at the start and in the 50's at the finish.


Here is what I wore for both marathons
Both feet off the ground. Yee haw! :)
I wore the CW-X tights, blank tank, Moeben arm sleeves, black beanie, Tifosi Logic sunglasses, Brooks running shoes and socks, and my Garmin. And I carry my 22 ounce handheld bottle with Hammer HEED drink (and Hammer gels in the pocket). In both races I was FREEZING at the start (even with a throw away sweatshirt), chilly but ok once I started running, and very comfortable the rest of the race (never too hot or too cold).


In both races I saw quite a few other people in tights and of course lots of people in shorts. I have used a second pair of tights to wear the day/night after my marathons and they feel very good for recovery. I don't really know if they help a lot or not, but they feel good (I have a pair of compression socks I like after a long run too). After both marathons I only took two days off and then ran again on the third day, and I had very limited soreness after both races. Again, I don't know how much of that has to do with the tights or not.

Josh really loves his compression socks for running and for recovery.


I plan on wearing this same outfit or something similar for the Salt Lake City Marathon in April as the temps will likely be quite chilly, however when I run the Top of Utah marathon in Logan, UT in September I may try some shorts since it will likely be quite a bit warmer. I have never run in the traditional runner short shorts as I don't really love my legs (they are muscular as all get out but they are paler than the moon and I have those icky veins on one leg). I don't want to scare my fellow runners.... Maybe I will give them a go though. I also haven't run in a running skirt. I figure I don't wear skirts normally (except for church!) so it doesn't make much sense to wear them for running. Just not my style.


So how about you? Have you run in compression tights or socks? Like them? Love them? Can't live without 'em? Hate them? Never tried them? Anything you HAVE to wear for a race?

10 comments:

ann said...

Yep! got a pair of compression calf sleeves for my first marathon. I didn't know if I "needed" them or if it would just help mentally....but I got them. I LOVE them. They are bright green and they are the best.

Shana said...

Funny, Brian and I were looking at your picture last night and talking about your arm sleeves, and wanting to know more about them. We were guessing they help with compression and warmth. Any more details about them?

I was just beginning to train for longer distances when I got pregnant, so my longest run is only 7 miles. So I'm not married to a lot of gear yet. I do love my Brooks shoes, Nike shorts and tank w/built-in bra.

Katie said...

I wear compression calf sleeves for all my long runs . . . I love them! I am thinking of getting a pair of compression socks for after my first marathon.

Terzah said...

I haven't ever worn compression anything, but my calves have been really sore after my last few long runs, so I may get some compression socks for afterward to try them out! All of my runs outdoors lately have been in capris (Lucy brand) with the exception of one really early a.m. tempo run where I actually wore tights. I have a running skirt that is really cute (Athleta), but it starts to chafe me on anything over ten miles. I should probably try some other brands, but I'm waiting until I lose some weight. :^)

Run with Jess said...

I wear compression shorts all the time - purely for the comfort of the run. I have several pair of compression tights that I use mainly for warmth in cold weather... have worn them in a couple races and seem to have better times?! Kinda lookin' for a pair of compression socks, but don't really wanna spend a fortune on 'em either...

Meredith said...

The only compression item I own is my Sugoi piston 200 tights! Love them and am looking forward to using them as I get into my marathon training!

Pamela said...

Um, when did we sign up for the Logan, Utah Marathon?!
Pam

Betina said...

I've never tried them. I bundle up in the winter and I like to run as close to naked as possible in the summer. Short running shorts (the ones with built in undies) and a tank top that includes sports bra, I don't want a bra AND a tank. No belly showing. I love the
feel of air on my skin when I run.

Betina said...

PS - I loved the Top of Utah marathon. My first and only. I will run half marathons forever, but I don't think I can ever do another marathon. If I did, though, I'd make the long trip to the Top of Utah. It was so beautiful.

Heather said...

I have the EXACT same tights, and looooove them. I feel as though they help me manage my IT band issue a bit better, and also help with calf cramping. I need to invest in a pair of capri length for spring / early summer. I'll MELT wearing the full tights once the weather warms up. lol PS...glad to find your blog! Found it through the "tall mom" spreadsheet. I'm listed on the sheet as "Heather C". :)